Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what's the latest "official" nutritional advice?

Dylan2010

Default what's the latest "official" nutritional advice?

what's the latest "official" nutritional advice wtr to diet/obesity? I've been reading a lot recently about the positive effects of low carb diets, which goes against the conventional wisdom that Fat is the culprit. Is the official advice "causing" more obesity, by obsessing about calories in v calories out , rather then the hormonal effect of eating different types of food, carbs increase insulin and casues one to eat more and put on weight.

Politics.ie Member A view from England's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    what's the latest "official" nutritional advice wtr to diet/obesity? I've been reading a lot recently about the positive effects of low carb diets, which goes against the conventional wisdom that Fat is the culprit. Is the official advice "causing" more obesity, by obsessing about calories in v calories out , rather then the hormonal effect of eating different types of food, carbs increase insulin and casues one to eat more and put on weight.
    Ignore these diets. I followed the Atkins for a while and it messed me up badly. I would suggest a big bowl of porridge for breakfast, a lunch of pasta and salad with fruit and a proper dinner of meat and veg. One takeaway a week. Butter not marg. A pint or two of Guinness a night and a bottle of red wine over three days. Semi skimmed milk, cut down on white sugar and have yoghut and cheese twice a week. You'll not go far wrong.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    what's the latest "official" nutritional advice
    Depends on who is issuing the advice, the dairy council say that you should only eat meats, yogurts and cheeses, the vegetable growers association say you should have, at least, 26 portions of fruit and veg a day and the union of bakers spokesman, 'Oul Mr Brennan, says that "a sliced white pan is your only man".

Personally, I think that if you usually eat food you cook yourself (without using a chip pan) you're probably going to do alright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Best advice available is to drink pints til 3:30 and then tell people you are congested.
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by typical View Post

Personally, I think that if you usually eat food you cook yourself (without using a chip pan) you're probably going to do alright.
    That. And get off your backside. Even a 30min brisk walk a day will do you the world of good.

personally, I eat more or less what I want. Take away once a week, I take fish oil supplements and I swim for one hour every couple of days. Other than that I don't get much more exercise besides leaving the car behind when I go to the shop. All these scare mongering programmes on RTE/BBC/Channel4 are doing more damage to some peoples minds than the supposed bad food they're putting in their mouths.

Stefan Gates recent programme on BBC2 about artificial flavorings and preservatives was excellent. basically he said: you've nothing to worry about. Relax. And get on with living.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Eat natural foods
    Bake twice daily
    Fill your nostrils up with gravy
    Dont drink tea and
    Dont drink cofee
    Cover your chin in yorkshire toffee

Seriously, i always buy brown loaf.(however try and buy a brown bread sambo in the shops, nearly always white!)
    Oily fish such as salmon or mackeral is good (I heard somewhere that tinned tuna has the goodness boiled out of it)

Whats the opinion on all those actimel type drinks? is it just sugary milk??

I agree about cooking your own food, expecially making soup!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Start growing your own veg as well......it'll help you eat healthier, and get you out to the garden/allotment to do some physical work
    Check out Grow It Yourself Ireland for help and ideas on growing your own

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That. And get off your backside. Even a 30min brisk walk a day will do you the world of good.
    In terms of general health and wellbeing, yes. In terms of weight loss, probably very little.

BTW I personally think there is a lot to be said for the theory that refined carbohydrates are the main reason for high levels of obesity, especially in the US. It does seem counterintuitive to argue against the 'all calories are equal' and 'calories in must be less than calories out' argument, but to me the low-carbohyrdate theory is compelling.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don`t follow Hollywood bubble heads like , Gyneth Paltrow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast