Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bono's ONE foundation only used 1.2% of money collected to help the poor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bono's ONE foundation only used 1.2% of money collected to help the poor.

Out of £9.6million donated to the foundation/charity £118,000 was spent helping the poor.

Bono's anti-poverty foundation ONE is under pressure to explain its lavish salaries after it was revealed that only a small percentage of money it raises reaches the needy.

The non-profit organisation set up by the U2 frontman received almost £9.6m in donations in 2008 but handed out only £118,000 to good causes (1.2 per cent).

The figures published by the New York Post also show that £5.1m went towards paying salaries.

Read more:
    Bono's ONE foundation under fire for giving tiny percentage of funds to charity | Mail Online

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This gobs**te moves his business to Holland to avoid tax, throws crumbs from his One foundation to the poor..yet the Muppet tries to pressure our government to direct more of MY tax money to causes he won’t contribute to himself.

Bono,I really don’t care if you lay in a bed of cash and get your rocks off on it... but please feck off and allow us to try and sort out the country without your pontificating and crocodile tears.

1.2% is quite low. The usual figure is closer to 10% of donations end up going where they are supposed to be. I know this from experience hence why I do not give to charities any more rather I give directly to those that I want to help. I do not want to pay someone a wage first and then pay the needy afterwards. It's back to front. If the OP is true then it is a shocking revelation.
    The charity industry, whilst well intentioned, has more than its fair share of charlatans already.
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Always dubious about stories in the mail, but what they heck is the point of taking all that money from the Gates foundation to do advocacy. We know what the problems are.

I guess Bono prefers pontificating to doing.
    I am Kilrain of the 20th Maine and I damn all gentlemen
    Whose only worth is their father's name and the sweat of a workin' man

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Condoms in your Trócaire boxes. Its the only way.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If it's an advocacy group, why shouldn't most of its money be spent on salaries?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMc View Post
    This gobs**te moves his business to Holland to avoid tax, throws crumbs from his One foundation to the poor..yet the Muppet tries to pressure our government to direct more of MY tax money to causes he won’t contribute to himself.

Bono,I really don’t care if you lay in a bed of cash and get your rocks off on it... but please feck off and allow us to try and sort out the country without your pontificating and crocodile tears.
    also, stop making records.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1%

Is that why its called the 'One' Foundation?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EUrJokingMeRight View Post
    1.2% is quite low. The usual figure is closer to 10% of donations end up going where they are supposed to be. I know this from experience hence why I do not give to charities any more rather I give directly to those that I want to help. I do not want to pay someone a wage first and then pay the needy afterwards. It's back to front. If the OP is true then it is a shocking revelation.
    The charity industry, whilst well intentioned, has more than its fair share of charlatans already.
    Where do you get the 10% figure?

In the UK all the registered charities' accounts are available online. Can't see why if the CRO puts up company accounts, we can't have the same facility for charities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

pujols this story was actually broken by the nypost
    Bono non-profit lavishes big bucks on anti-poverty, anti-AIDS press kits - NYPOST.com
    As in anything follow the money!
    Bono's a fool. He had it all, a very clever guy who could network and work hard at his heart's desire. He became rich and had a platform from his fame which he could direct for good had he wanted to. But like Gerry Ryan being around money gave him a hard on (and it killed him too) it was no longer enough for Bono just to be a multi millionaire when he started to meet billionaires like Gates etc. When he actually had more than these people. He had freedom and independence as an artist. He could have used his fame to advocate for causes he believed in if he really wanted to, not set up businesses in them. There's a big difference from choosing to make your business/ money from something ethical and highjacking something ethical to make money. Bono's business is music that's what he makes his money from and that's what he should have stuck to and advocated for great causes while retaining some integrity. Instead he's been corrupted by his greed and vanity and desire to be part of New World Order BS. All his subsequent stuff is scamming. Edun have moved most of their operation to China now. Complete failure having also sold 50 percent to LMVH. Trying to buy himself a Nobel peace prize. He's been holidaying too long in the south of France with the likes of Sarkozy. He's taken a wrong turn, a greedy turn, a long time ago.
    As John Lennon would say "I'm sick and tired of watching scenes from schizophrenic, ego-centric, paranoid, prima donnas. All I want is the truth now, just gimme the truth.' His hero Lennon (for all his faults) never would have been taken in, in the same way.
    Last edited by Cincinnatus; 24th September 2010 at 12:24 AM.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast