Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do the young today lack "Gravitas" or any respect for it?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why do the young today lack "Gravitas" or any respect for it?

Its come more and more to my attention that people my own age (mid to late 20s- those below us being even worse) lack a serious attitude to life (outside of maybe career issues)....And whats worse even pride themselves on a generally infantile and superficial attitude to existence. Its not uncommon to see presumably hetrosexual boys (and deliberately dont say men) behaving like the worst type of 14 yr old girl. Why is this? What outside of a thorough going dictatorship can be done to reserve this trend?

Shows you are getting old when you start criticising how the young behave.

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Respect is earned & deserved.

If their predecessors behave like this then the next generation will emulate them.

Observe a bunch of forty or fifty somethings at play in a pub or golf club and you will see the template.

If the older generation is going ot go out and borrow al laround them and blow it on trinkets -how do you expect the yoof to behave differently.

Look at the taoiseach for f***s sake .His natural instinct is to be on the piss clowning around when he should be attending to his duties with gravitas and seriousness.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStars View Post
    Its come more and more to my attention that people my own age (mid to late 20s- those below us being even worse) lack a serious attitude to life (outside of maybe career issues)....And whats worse even pride themselves on a generally infantile and superficial attitude to existence. Its not uncommon to see presumably hetrosexual boys (and deliberately dont say men) behaving like the worst type of 14 yr old girl. Why is this? What outside of a thorough going dictatorship can be done to reserve this trend?
    I guess you could travel through time to put right what once went wrong. That usually does the trick for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I blame the celtic tiger......turned a lot/most/some people into self centered asswipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stringjack View Post
    I guess you could travel through time to put right what once went wrong. That usually does the trick for me.
    How's Ziggy these days?

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyEdo View Post
    I blame the celtic tiger......turned a lot/most/some people into self centered asswipes
    Rubbish they were that anyway before Celtic Tiger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStars View Post
    What a pretentious twit you are. Since when did you decide what type of attitude is appropriate for a certain age group.

Out of curiousity what constitutes a "serious attitude to life"?

Why specify a supposed sexual orientation in your post? Is that significant to you in some way?

I fail completley to understand your final sentence. What is a "thorough going dictatorship"?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What a pretentious twit you are. Since when did you decide what type of attitude is appropriate for a certain age group.
    I think we may have something of an answer here: "Who are YOU to say/decide how I should...blah blah etc."

A significant factor is the radical autonomy conferred on people by modern liberalism, and the consequent atomisation of individual life. There are no public standards - just personal choices. People get offended by the idea that they should conform their behaviour to collective or societal expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Da Bert View Post
    I've had the same experiences in two other colleges that in went to in the past two years.
    You sure its not just you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast