Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fine Gael put "national debt clock" on website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fine Gael put "national debt clock" on website.

I do not propose to post a link to that website from these parts, but I note that Fine Gael have added a clock to their homepage which purports - I stress the word - to count the monies being added to the national debt by the Government's national restoration plan.

We can therefore take it that this clock is being endorsed by Fine Gael.

Since the infamous day when they took a shilling off the old age pension, through the historic display of meanness that was the attempt to tax childrens shoes, and right up till this moment, Fine Gael have been a party that simply do not want to spend money.

They have repeatedly shown, throughout their history, that they will begrudge a pensioner a few pence and a child a pair of shoes because they are so mean.

Once again today, we are seeing evidence of the party's historic meanness. This national debt is essential to pay for essential services, including the Dáil, local councillors, údarás na Gaeilge, and a range of other bodies. Without us incurring this debt, there are countless men and women who would go hungry. Banks would collapse. The airport would close. The EU would throw us out. The GAA would see attendances plummet. The average joe could no longer buy a pint.

This debt is keeping us in business. The fact that Fine Gael are attacking it is evidence that they would sooner see people starve than spend the money necessary. But sure we knew that. The pensioners knew it back in 1930.
    Spotty. A pimple on the arse of politics.

since i'm not a fine gaeler - nor connected to any party whatsoever , i think it might be reasonable enough for me to link to the site

http://finegael.ie/

if this is against the rules, then i apologise. ( and feel free to edit my post p.ie admins..)

good move on fine gaels part. put the estimate is actually too low.

The Bank for International Settlements estimated that our total liabilities are $840 BILLION.

PDF report here:
    http://www.bis.org/publ/qtrpdf/r_qt1009b.pdf

scroll down to page 16. far right column : theres the 800 billion figure.

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hear hear spotty. Only Fianna Fáil should be entrusted with the national purse strings. Nobody can accuse them of being stingy when it comes to doling out public money.
    The others might want some kind of fiscal rectitude..imagine what a disaster that would be for the country.

"Fine Gael have been a party that simply do not want to spend OTHER PEOPLES money"

corrected that for you.

so you're whole argument is based around Fine Gael being fiscally responsible?

Keep posting my friend - because the more you post, the more votes will head towards Fine Gael. Are you sure you're not some Enda Kenny plant?

Politics.ie Member louis bernard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spotty View Post
    I do not propose to post a link to that website from these parts, but I note that Fine Gael have added a clock to their homepage which purports - I stress the word - to count the monies being added to the national debt by the Government's national restoration plan.

We can therefore take it that this clock is being endorsed by Fine Gael.

Since the infamous day when they took a shilling off the old age pension, through the historic display of meanness that was the attempt to tax childrens shoes, and right up till this moment, Fine Gael have been a party that simply do not want to spend money.

They have repeatedly shown, throughout their history, that they will begrudge a pensioner a few pence and a child a pair of shoes because they are so mean.

Once again today, we are seeing evidence of the party's historic meanness. This national debt is essential to pay for essential services, including the Dáil, local councillors, údarás na Gaeilge, and a range of other bodies. Without us incurring this debt, there are countless men and women who would go hungry. Banks would collapse. The airport would close. The EU would throw us out. The GAA would see attendances plummet. The average joe could no longer buy a pint.

This debt is keeping us in business. The fact that Fine Gael are attacking it is evidence that they would sooner see people starve than spend the money necessary. But sure we knew that. The pensioners knew it back in 1930.
    Are you a genuine idiot or are you just having a laugh? I sort of suspect the latter and fair play to you, god knows we could all do with a laugh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flavirostris View Post
    Hear hear spotty. Only Fianna Fáil should be entrusted with the national purse strings. Nobody can accuse them of being stingy when it comes to doling out public money.
    The others might want some kind of fiscal rectitude..imagine what a disaster that would be for the country.
    Precisely. Some people talk about balancing the budget - but to accomplish such a heinous feat, one would have to slash public spending, and reduce the size of the state. Irish people simply cannot survive without the state.
    Spotty. A pimple on the arse of politics.

got a point there Louis - this HAS to be a spoof. laughing my ass off here.

spotty must be a fine gael troll. has to be.

( if he's not and genuine fianna fail, then we really REALLY are fcked as a country..)

"Irish people simply cannot survive without the state borrowing money from the Germans and paying it back at sky high interest rates."

corrected that for you.

Gimpanzee

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. This is a new low for Irish politics, spotty, a new low. Debt clocks should be apolitical, and the debt clock is something I previously had a lot of respect for, before it engaged in this sort of irresponsible partisan point scoring. The world is watching us.

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spotty View Post
    Precisely. Some people talk about balancing the budget - but to accomplish such a heinous feat, one would have to slash public spending, and reduce the size of the state. Irish people simply cannot survive without the state.
    Not to mention a lot of Fianna Fáil supporters & hangers-on would be kicked out of their publicly-funded jobs. That would be a disaster for the party and as I'm sure you're aware, what's bad for the party is bad for Ireland etc.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast