Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were 16,would you agree to Gardai request to buy alcohol without a gratuity?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default If you were 16,would you agree to Gardai request to buy alcohol without a gratuity?

I was just reading in the IT today that the Gardai&Minister aim to implement this new initiative to catch publicans seeling to minor's, by recruiting minors to go into certain pubs and off-licences to purchase alcohol.
    There is a possibility, under law, that any prosecutions will mean that the minor would be required to attend the court hearing.
    Seemingly parents have to provide consent for their child to "go undercover" ...oh and there is ZERO gratuity for these kids...unlike all the advisors and PR firms whom are paid millions each year for "assisting"

Would you agree to do this if you were 16 or if you are parent of a 16 year old would you agree for them to do it considering the above information?

Economic Left/Right: -6.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.44

Politics.ie Member fluffykontbiscuits's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loaded32 View Post
    I was just reading in the IT today that the Gardai&Minister aim to implement this new initiative to catch publicans seeling to minor's, by recruiting minors to go into certain pubs and off-licences to purchase alcohol.
    There is a possibility, under law, that any prosecutions will mean that the minor would be required to attend the court hearing.
    Seemingly parents have to provide consent for their child to "go undercover" ...oh and there is ZERO gratuity for these kids...unlike all the advisors and PR firms whom are paid millions each year for "assisting"

Would you agree to do this if you were 16 or if you are parent of a 16 year old would you agree for them to do it considering the above information?
    Entrapment comes to mind...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is this not entrapement?

Is this not entrapement?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not entrapment - it's a good idea

I would probably skip the gratuity . . . . but I might skip out the back door of the Offie with me WKD in me bag and the Garda sitting outside the front door waiting for me !!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm 16 and I honestly can't imagine any 16 year old in their right mind doing this. The vast majority of people that are 16 (including myself) drink. Why would they want to catch publicans out.

Politics.ie Member fluffykontbiscuits's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruaidhri View Post
    I'm 16 and I honestly can't imagine any 16 year old in their right mind doing this. The vast majority of people that are 16 (including myself) drink. Why would they want to catch publicans out.
    If you got a couple of quid for it to buy your Dutch Gold you would be quick enough saying yes!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow......just wow.

And here I am wondering if we could top Cowen and his genius interview or Lenihan attending that book launch (least he dropped out I guess).

This initiative strikes me simply as a stroke of pure and utter genius.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not entrapment. They've worked out a "protocol" to ensure this. It's a laugh though a) that it hasn't been done before and b) that it is seen as something controversial (for different reasons).

I imagine that lawyers are sharpening their quills as we speak, looking for ways to weasel prospective clients out of it. I imagine it won't be hard to force the kids to have to testify. But, maybe a day off school to go to court is just the kind of gratuity they'd want.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why is it not entrapment?

Quote Originally Posted by adrem View Post
    It's not entrapment - it's a good idea

I would probably skip the gratuity . . . . but I might skip out the back door of the Offie with me WKD in me bag and the Garda sitting outside the front door waiting for me !!
    Why is it not entrapment?

1. A police officer encourages a person to commit a crime so that the officer can have him prosecuted for that crime.
    2. The greater the degree of entrapment by the police officer, the more likely the court will see it as entrapment. See the case R v Bryne [2003]. That is, entrapment is not a substantive defence (R v Sang); i.e. it does not automatically negate the prosecution case.
    3. Customs Officers who aid and abet fraud in order to prosecute the fraud. A notorious example of this occurred in 2003. The 'Stockade' prosecution ended in failure when the Court of Appeal quashed convictions against seven people accused in connection with the alleged diversion of 105 million in excise duty (VAT). The conduct of such Excise diversion cases resulted in the loss of up to 2 billion in public revenue.[13]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrapm...land_and_Wales

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It might appeal to a 16 year old who wants to join the gardai, but beyond that, I couldn't see the point in being arsed.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast