Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How will Labour balance the books?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How will Labour balance the books?

From the waffle and spoofology we got from Pat Rabbite and Roisin Shorthall this week on Vincenzo its clear that Labour have no specifics on how they will balance the budget. This is symptomatic of a party thats been in opposition for too long and has become a hurler in the ditch.
    Specifically what is Labours position on:
    1- Public sector reform: more specifically pay, pensions, perks and redundancies.
    2- HSE reform: more specifically cost of medical cards, consultants, expenses, use of taxi's etc.
    3- Social Welfare reform: more specifically limiting benefits to the most needy and taxing social welfare.
    4- Tax increases: Who pays and by how much, closing loopholes will only go so far.

I was leaning towards labour for the next election just because i thought they deserved a crack of the whip but now i fear they may do even more damage than FF.

I watched those programs too and agree with your sentiments entirely. I think a lot of people would agree with Labour's overall aspiration for a fairer society but their TDs are either not being forthcoming about how to achieve that for fear of alienating voters or genuinely don't have policies for doing so. Consequently they are losing potential votes all the time. It's telling that nobody has responded yet to the OP's questions...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpurs View Post
    From the waffle and spoofology we got from Pat Rabbite and Roisin Shorthall this week on Vincenzo its clear that Labour have no specifics on how they will balance the budget. This is symptomatic of a party thats been in opposition for too long and has become a hurler in the ditch.
    1- Public sector reform: more specifically pay, pensions, perks and redundancies.
    2- HSE reform: more specifically cost of medical cards, consultants, expenses, use of taxi's etc.
    3- Social Welfare reform: more specifically limiting benefits to the most needy and taxing social welfare.
    4- Tax increases: Who pays and by how much, closing loopholes will only go so far.

I was leaning towards labour for the next election just because i thought they deserved a crack of the whip but now i fear they may do even more damage than FF.
    So if you don't get answers from Labour will you vote FF?
    "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor", Desmond Tutu

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpurs View Post

Labour have published detailed costed budget proposals, before every budget since 2008 and will doubtless do so again this year.

Public finances are a massive problem, but to be honest, the overall economy is an even greater concern. You can balance the books, all you like, but that does not necessarily mean that you are in any way helping economic recovery. In fact cutting public spending can have a seriously detrimental impact on the economy (see today's GDP and GNP figures).

I'd rather have a healthy economy with a short term public spending deficit, than a basket-case economy where the govt is focussed only on book-keeping niceties.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought Joan was going to spill the beans the other night after the bond sale, but no she was cut off so we could hear about how the millennium goals weren't being met!
    I appreciate our moral obligation to help those worse off than ourselves but what is the point of giving aid to the starving and homeless in other countries then having to borrow it back to help our own?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samell View Post
    I appreciate our moral obligation to help those worse off than ourselves but what is the point of giving aid to the starving and homeless in other countries then having to borrow it back to help our own?
    110% agree with you.
    We've no money for ourselves, but loads for Africa (where we're been pumping money for over 50 years) and Pakistan and even America after Hurricane Katriona!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Labour's answer to that charge should be, "If you want to see our manifesto, call an election."

FF would love to have their media dogs make anything the issue except the incompetence and stupidity of the current government. I'm no fan of the Labour Party but why should they show their hand now? They can't implement anything.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Labours problem is the public sector unions. In their policies they say there must be pay reduction through reform while at the same time they failed to take a position on the Croke Park negotiations. Are we really to believe that Labour would cut the pay or numbers in the PS as that is the only way to cut pay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TradCat View Post
    why should they show their hand now?
    so the people of Ireland will see that Labour at least have a hand!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redhead101 View Post
    Labour have published detailed costed budget proposals, before every budget since 2008 and will doubtless do so again this year.

Public finances are a massive problem, but to be honest, the overall economy is an even greater concern. You can balance the books, all you like, but that does not necessarily mean that you are in any way helping economic recovery. In fact cutting public spending can have a seriously detrimental impact on the economy (see today's GDP and GNP figures).

I'd rather have a healthy economy with a short term public spending deficit, than a basket-case economy where the govt is focussed only on book-keeping niceties.
    Et voilą! The true face of Labour. Running a €25 Billion deficit year after year means nothing. Just make sure the PS union members get paid. Our national debt will be €100 Billion by Dec 2012, the rate we pay on debt is now 6.5%. So it'll be €6.5Billion per year just to pay the INTEREST on that debt even if we don't borrow another cent. Labour in govt will be like a shopaholic drunk running around BTs with someone elses credit card.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast