Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Government to increase student immigration visas to counter mass emigration

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Government to increase student immigration visas to counter mass emigration

A new strategy to increase the number of international students coming to Ireland has been launched by the Government.
    The aim is to increase international students in higher education by 50%, or 12,000, and in English language schools by 25% over the next five years.
    RT News: Govt wants 50% rise in international students

New figures released yesterday show that more than 65,000 people left the country in the year to April. Although this was only slightly more than in the previous year, the breakdown by nationality was very different. Most notable was a 50 per cent surge in the number of Irish people departing
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0922/1224279435299.html

These two stories in today's media suggest Ireland may become a very different place in years to come as Irish people are forced to emmigrate while the government encourages foreign students to fill the gap.

Many will welcome this trend as a boost to "multi-culturalism". Others will take a very different view.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Somebody has to fill empty apartments
    Keeping property investors afloat always was the highest priority

Ex Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

LOL, you couldnt make this crap up.

Further strain on part time jobs and services.

Keep it all coming, why not bring in more Asylum Seekers from Nigeria whilst were at it and prop up those unemployment figures.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why don't we reduce salaries for new graduates? They are not in debt, they do not have mortgages, they're facing an environment of declining prices and they're moving abroad to take up employment in positions which pay far less than they would be paid in Ireland if they did manage to secure employment here. The NHS, for example, can employ about 3 members of newly qualified healthcare professionals for the price that we pay for 2 through the HSE. Solve this problem and it will go some way to reducing emigration.

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    A new strategy to increase the number of international students coming to Ireland has been launched by the Government.
    The aim is to increase international students in higher education by 50%, or 12,000, and in English language schools by 25% over the next five years.
    RT News: Govt wants 50% rise in international students

New figures released yesterday show that more than 65,000 people left the country in the year to April. Although this was only slightly more than in the previous year, the breakdown by nationality was very different. Most notable was a 50 per cent surge in the number of Irish people departing
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0922/1224279435299.html

These two stories in today's media suggest Ireland may become a very different place in years to come as Irish people are forced to emmigrate while the government encourages foreign students to fill the gap.

Many will welcome this trend as a boost to "multi-culturalism". Others will take a very different view.
    You're daft. It's a money making racket to boost income for the unis who are hemorraging staff. It's got nothing to do with immigrants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If there was any question this government was a bunch of traitors, this is it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most of these "students" are not students at all and most will indeed be looking for part time jobs.

Why is this government so intent on undermining the welfare of Irish people?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some of these students, in some institutions, are paying the guts of 50k a year to study here. Great money spinner, though I thought the whole "English Language" schools thing was viewed as a back door immigration route so I was surprised to see it listed as well.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mena View Post
    I thought the whole "English Language" schools thing was viewed as a back door immigration route so I was surprised to see it listed as well.
    Same here.

I have no objections to international students coming in to study at third level or post-graduate level.

However, I suspect they might find it harder to attract them than they believe it will be. If you're forking out economic fees for your education, you become a lot more discerning about just how good your university is.

I suspect only specific courses in specific institutions will actually prove popular.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It will bring money into the country; it is very simple really. But if you are a conspiracy theorist, I suppose you can see it as Dermot MacMurrough all over again...
    I am Kilrain of the 20th Maine and I damn all gentlemen
    Whose only worth is their father's name and the sweat of a workin' man

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast