Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable Attack. Bankers are To Blame

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cable Attack. Bankers are To Blame

Just listened to Vince Cable's speech, Lib Dems, to their conference. Absolutely spiffing!

If only we had the like here in Ireland. Someone not afraid of attacking the banks. Of calling on bankers to cut the bonuses and golden handshakes, the gambling and the huge hidden profits. Of backing small businesses, not breaking them.

If you get a chance, listen. It's brilliant.

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    Just listened to Vince Cable's speech, Lib Dems, to their conference. Absolutely spiffing!

If only we had the like here in Ireland. Someone not afraid of attacking the banks. Of calling on bankers to cut the bonuses and golden handshakes, the gambling and the huge hidden profits. Of backing small businesses, not breaking them.

I would give you a link to his speech if I knew how lads and ladeens, but I can't but really, really, he knocks the bankers and money markets brilliantly. Can anyone help me out here and do a link. Was on Sky News full speech when I saw it this am, about 12pm

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Vincent will be the first cabinet minister to resign when his pet project of brekaing up the banks is knocked on the head. If the UK tries to do that, the Banks will move their HQs overseas and take their profits with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fianna Fáil and the Liberal Democrats are sister parties, working together for a shared vision at the European level. Like us, they are dealing with an economic headwind and an extremist party sharing the cabinet table with them. Vince Cable is the UK's Brian Lenihan, and Brian Cowen is our Nick Clegg.
    Spotty. A pimple on the arse of politics.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would give you a link to his speech if I knew how lads and ladeens, but I can't but really, really, he knocks the bankers and money markets brilliantly. Can anyone help me out here and do a link. Was on Sky News full speech when I saw it this am, about 12pm
    Is this it?

The Banks

But economic recovery will not happen automatically, by magic. Government has a key role. It has to sustain demand. That is basic Keynes. Liberal economics also requires us to remove obstacles to growth led by private enterprise. Among them is the threat to recovery from a credit squeeze by banks on small businesses.

On banks, I make no apology for attacking spivs and gamblers who did more harm to the British economy than Bob Crow could achieve in his wildest Trotskyite fantasies, while paying themselves outrageous bonuses underwritten by the taxpayer. There is much public anger about banks and it is well deserved.

But I am not seeking retribution. We have a pressing practical problem: the lack of capital for sound, non property, business. Many firms say they are already being crippled by banks’ charges and restrictions.

The Chancellor and I have set out a range of sticks and carrots to get banks to support the real economy. Tough interventions will be needed if capital which could be used to support business lending is frittered away in bonuses and dividends.

The Coalition Agreement was crystal clear, too, that the structure of banking must be reformed to prevent future disasters and promote competition. Our agenda can be summed in seven words: make them safe and make them lend. I agree with Mervyn. We just can’t risk having banks that are too big to fail.
    Vince Cable's speech to Conference | The Liberal Democrats: Latest News Detail

He is beating the "knowledge economy" drum too. I thought Ireland Inc had a copyright on that.
    We have turned the corner.I commend this Budget to the House. Brian Lenihan, 9 December 2009

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spotty View Post
    Fianna Fáil and the Liberal Democrats are sister parties, working together for a shared vision at the European level. Like us, they are dealing with an economic headwind and an extremist party sharing the cabinet table with them. Vince Cable is the UK's Brian Lenihan, and Brian Cowen is our Nick Clegg.
    Have you told the Lib-Dems about this arrangement yet?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Sky News - Video: The latest global financial news, market news and company news - Sky News Video Player

I think this is it Laz.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Vincent is as big a nutter as his TV3 namesake. I suppose the next wheeze will be a 5 year plan to get credit flowing. He aint no Brian Lenihan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spotty View Post

It's getting very tedious Spotty. It really is. The same joke over and over again.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perhaps the main reason we don't 'have the like here' is all them brown envelopes, like, allegedly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast