Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Mary Upton not to seek re-election

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Labour TD for Dublin South Central Mary Upton has just announced that she won't be contesting the next General Election.

Statement by Mary Upton TD...

"This afternoon I advised the Leader of the Labour Party, Eamon Gilmore TD, that I will not be seeking re-election as a Labour Party TD for Dublin South Central.

"It has been a great privilege and honour to serve the people of Dublin South Central as a Deputy for the past eleven years. I have greatly enjoyed my time in the Dail and it has been a very rewarding experience working with other members of the Parliamentary Labour Party.

"However, I believe that now is the right time for me to stand down and make way for others. The Labour Party is at its highest level ever in the opinion polls and I believe that Dublin South Central can return two Labour Party Deputies at the next election.

"I intend to continue to serve the people of Dublin South Central up the dissolution of the Dail and I will do all in my power during the election campaign to maximise the Labour Party vote in the constituency.

"I want to thank the voters of Dublin South Central for their support for me in the 1999 by-election and the two subsequent general elections. I particularly want to pay tribute to the Labour Party members in Dublin South Central for their support and assistance over the years."

please god not her nephew
    Last edited by lostexpectation; 21st September 2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: nepotism gets confusing
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lostexpectation View Post
    please god not her son
    Henry Upton is not her son. Anyway, I agree, I'd rather a Moynihan/Conaghan/Byrne ticket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Eric Byrne must be a shoe in next GE (finally)
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She'll be trying to promote Henry Upton to take the seat. They regularly distribute joint newsletters. It was Henry's father's seat (Pat Upton) which Mary took on his death. Mary being Pat's sister.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManOfReason View Post
    He was a shoe-in anyway - lost by 64 votes last time, and labour got 33% at the LEs.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

looking at the 07 results and the 09 locals have to agree Eric Byrne must be on his way back to the Dail

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe Alex White will run in the constituency. As far as I know Alex White lives in DSC although he has always run in DS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's 3 female tds planning to resign now after the next GE
    Repeal the 8th

Quote Originally Posted by ManOfReason View Post
    Certainly hope so.

She is very popular with the voters in "old" Terenure the rest of the SC mob don't bother with us. Noel O'Gara took possession of the public car park in Terenure recently. He erected signs, took the DCC ticket machine out of commission and installed two of his stooges to collect money from people parking. The Garda have been called on several occasions but as it is a "civil" matter will not take any action. Eric and Mary are the only two who have taken any interest in the affair. The HSE has the freehold and DCC operate the car park under licence, O'Gara's claim is nonsense but getting DCC and the HSE to get their acts together and get an injunction to stop him has proved extremely difficult.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast