Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bono - RTÉ The Greatest ??

Politics.ie Member Goldencircle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs down Bono - RTÉ The Greatest ??

Of course we all know that Bono couldn't have possibly received enough votes to make the top five.
    [conspiracy]Its more likely RTÉ have planted him there to stir things up and encourage people to tune in.[/conspiracy]
    Dave Fannings show next week will no doubt focus heavily on his Humanitarian work.
    But I have a strange feeling that as with most of Bono's projects we won't be hearing the full facts.

We already know about the RED brand and the sham that turned into (without even bringing in the question of where i-pods and GAP clothing comes from into it).
    And maybe have a look here and here.

But Mr Heuston doesn't seem to have learned any lessons and today we hear a few truths about "ONE".
    Heres just a taster for those at work.

The Bono nonprofit took in $14,993,873 in public donations in 2008, the latest year for which tax records are available.

Of that, $184,732 was distributed to three charities, according to the IRS filing.

Meanwhile, more than $8 million was spent on executive and employee salaries.
    Should be interesting to see how much of this is glossed over next Monday.
    More later but I would be interested to hear what people really think first.
    Its either Corruption or Stupidity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's probably the most well-known Irish person ever, he appears to have genuine humanitarian instincts (despite the dodgy revelations above), and the mixture of these two means he converses with some of the most influential people in the world and may have some bearing on their policies. Not overly convincing qualifications for greatness but worthy of consideration.

Interested to hear what everyone thinks the criteria for greatness are. Some will focus on the internal - deep patriotism, lasting influence on irish life, artistic expression of what it is to be irish; others will look for who made the most impact on the outside world. I don't think we had both except perhaps for our literary giants - I'd go with Joyce.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unbelievable. The whole integrity and point of the series has been undermined by his inclusion. He's not the first entertainer who believed that people loved him for who he is rather than what he does. I wonder if keith barry, the magician, did a bit of third world whining would we all think he was Mr Wonderful?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fanning is a clown .His love for bono is well known .Pathetic really .
    Einstein, disguised as Robin Hood,With his memories in a trunk
    Passed this way an hour ago,With his friend, a jealous monk

It really does make a joke of that series including him. I may have problems with some of the others included and those not included but at least the others included make sense.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[conspiracy]Its more likely RTÉ have planted him there to stir things up and encourage people to tune in.[/conspiracy]
    Anyone else had trouble voting for people who did not make the top 5?

For me he's the only one that comes anywhere near meritting inclusion. He is one of the country's great ever entertainers and has also put his fame to good use to the benefit of others.

I still wouldn't have him in the Top 5, but I would have him in the Top 10, unlike any of the others on the shortlist. For me, the inclusion of Connolly and Hume are by far the most ridiculous.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Politics.ie Member Goldencircle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    his fame to good use to the benefit of others
    But whats the point in putting your "fame to good use". When your the whole time talking out both sides of your mouth?
    Its either Corruption or Stupidity

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    For me he's the only one that comes anywhere near meritting inclusion. He is one of the country's great ever entertainers and has also put his fame to good use to the benefit of others.

I still wouldn't have him in the Top 5, but I would have him in the Top 10, unlike any of the others on the shortlist. For me, the inclusion of Connolly and Hume are by far the most ridiculous.
    Who would be in your top 5?

I agree on Bono by the way. Bongo and U2 are one of the greatest bands ever. Granted, they haven't released a single good albumn since zoopra, but their 80's and early 1990's work is excellent.
    They are world leaders in their chosen field, a crowded field, with ever changing tastes, and annual multi-billion spend. That is greatness.

He might have his moments of buffoonery, but there you go.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We should be respectful, he is royalty after all...
    I am Kilrain of the 20th Maine and I damn all gentlemen
    Whose only worth is their father's name and the sweat of a workin' man

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast