Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: A New Republic!

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default A New Republic!

    A New Republic!

    We have discussed on this forum many issues both economic and social but I have rarely found a thread that discusses our society as a unit and as an interconnected community.

    I have heard and read about different economic and social “models”. Capitalist, Socialist, Democratic, Republican, Monarchy, Communist. Scandic, French, American, Mediterranean, Theological.
    The list of models is endless. We seem to search the world for a model that we would like or that might fit us.

    My proposal here is to discuss the idea that there is no “model” for Ireland, Éire, Republic of Ireland.

    We already have a “model”; it’s the Irish model. If you look at our politics and the type of parties we vote for and that are available to vote for, it’s clear the both Fianna Fail and Fine Gael make up the majority of voters in this island nation.

    If I examine both of these parties, it’s clear that both are fairly similar in nature. I know supporters from either side will disagree but I’m a neutral in this and I can tell you that if Fine Gael were in power today the outcomes would be fairly similar.

    The third party, Labour, represents a distinct centre/left view which is not a million miles away from Fianna Fail but is still quite conservative just like the two larger parties.

    So essentially we are a centre to centre/left Conservative people. We move slowly, we move cautiously, we don’t make too many waves and we tend to desire and search for respect and approval from our larger more dominant neighbours in Europe.

    All in all we represent a nation that is not at ease with itself in a world dominated by larger, more aggressive nations. We are more likely to attempt to reach consensus and compromise than to stand independently and against the grain. We are more likely to nod in agreement with the majority after quietly looking around to check that that is what the majority are doing in the first place.

    This makes us weak in the eyes of our neighbours, in the eyes of the markets and in the eyes of each other. I often think that the anger we feel around the country is not so much at our politicians but at ourselves for letting these politicians speak on our behalf; to represent us.

    We are in the middle of a huge shame-fest that will have a significant influence on us as a people in the future.

    We are growing up.

    In 5 or 10 years time we will be a completely different nation to what we are now.
    We will be assertive, quick to anger, slow to forgive and a hell of a lot harder than we are today. Or at least our elected representative will be.

    But what of us, the people, in our own land and homes?
    How different will this test of our nationhood affect us and our relations with each other?

    I feel a corner has been turned in Ireland. I don’t know exactly when it was turned but there is a new consensus forming among the citizens, taxpayers, voters of this Republic.

    In the words of W.B. Yeats, “All is changed, changed utterly; A Terrible Beauty is Born”

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member SlabMurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Mainland
    Posts
    1,691
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hiker View Post
    A New Republic!

    We have discussed on this forum many issues both economic and social but I have rarely found a thread that discusses our society as a unit and as an interconnected community.

    I have heard and read about different economic and social “models”. Capitalist, Socialist, Democratic, Republican, Monarchy, Communist. Scandic, French, American, Mediterranean, Theological.
    The list of models is endless. We seem to search the world for a model that we would like or that might fit us.

    My proposal here is to discuss the idea that there is no “model” for Ireland, Éire, Republic of Ireland.

    We already have a “model”; it’s the Irish model. If you look at our politics and the type of parties we vote for and that are available to vote for, it’s clear the both Fianna Fail and Fine Gael make up the majority of voters in this island nation.

    If I examine both of these parties, it’s clear that both are fairly similar in nature. I know supporters from either side will disagree but I’m a neutral in this and I can tell you that if Fine Gael were in power today the outcomes would be fairly similar.

    The third party, Labour, represents a distinct centre/left view which is not a million miles away from Fianna Fail but is still quite conservative just like the two larger parties.

    So essentially we are a centre to centre/left Conservative people. We move slowly, we move cautiously, we don’t make too many waves and we tend to desire and search for respect and approval from our larger more dominant neighbours in Europe.

    All in all we represent a nation that is not at ease with itself in a world dominated by larger, more aggressive nations. We are more likely to attempt to reach consensus and compromise than to stand independently and against the grain. We are more likely to nod in agreement with the majority after quietly looking around to check that that is what the majority are doing in the first place.

    This makes us weak in the eyes of our neighbours, in the eyes of the markets and in the eyes of each other. I often think that the anger we feel around the country is not so much at our politicians but at ourselves for letting these politicians speak on our behalf; to represent us.

    We are in the middle of a huge shame-fest that will have a significant influence on us as a people in the future.

    We are growing up.

    In 5 or 10 years time we will be a completely different nation to what we are now.
    We will be assertive, quick to anger, slow to forgive and a hell of a lot harder than we are today. Or at least our elected representative will be.

    But what of us, the people, in our own land and homes?
    How different will this test of our nationhood affect us and our relations with each other?

    I feel a corner has been turned in Ireland. I don’t know exactly when it was turned but there is a new consensus forming among the citizens, taxpayers, voters of this Republic.

    In the words of W.B. Yeats, “All is changed, changed utterly; A Terrible Beauty is Born”
    No it wouldn't the Gombeen state will be the same as ever - though deeply in debt and the ECB will have to bale it out. Meanwhile Mr and Mrs Citizen will continue to vote for Beverly Flynn, Micheal Healy Rae etc, etc

  3. #3

    Default

    Give up on this sham independence, where we're doing what we're told by Brussels and Berlin. Re-join the United Kingdom and become part of a G8 country.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member SlabMurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Mainland
    Posts
    1,691
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    Give up on this sham independence, where we're doing what we're told by Brussels and Berlin. Re-join the United Kingdom and become part of a G8 country.
    Why rejoin a state that's on the way to break up FFS Ofcourse the Brits don't have vast international borrowing, banking crisis such as Northern Rock etc and getting invovled in wars on the other side of the world as they try to kid themselves that their some kind of imperial superpower but in effect are just America's bitch

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SlabMurphy View Post
    No it wouldn't the Gombeen state will be the same as ever - though deeply in debt and the ECB will have to bale it out. Meanwhile Mr and Mrs Citizen will continue to vote for Beverly Flynn, Micheal Healy Rae etc, etc
    I believe you're wrong.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SlabMurphy View Post
    Why rejoin a state that's on the way to break up FFS Ofcourse the Brits don't have vast international borrowing, banking crisis such as Northern Rock etc and getting invovled in wars on the other side of the world as they try to kid themselves that their some kind of imperial superpower but in effect are just America's bitch
    What break-up, have you missed the SNP climbdown on a referendum?

    As bad as UK borrowing is, it's nowhere near as bad as ours.

    Better to be part of a country that takes it's international duties seriously that one that depends on others.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member kerdasi amaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    M.O. BÁC
    Posts
    4,582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I'm sure the Brits would love to take our national debt on.

    I was reading about Sellafield today. The thought crossed my mind that, that monstrosity would be on our west coast if we were still part of that rotten Union.
    We have got as much as we are going to get out of Europe; it is, now, time to leave!
    EUROPA CONVENTUS DELENDA EST!...Whistle out the marching tune.....27

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    Re-join the United Kingdom and become part of a G8 country.
    It won't happen.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Máistir na Cruinne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    320
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    Give up on this sham independence.....Re-join the United Kingdom and become part of a G8 country.
    I'd say the United Kingdom would welcome that like a man would welcome a hole in the head.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hiker View Post
    It won't happen.
    I accept that, but it's what I believe SHOULD happen. We have threads here about "a united Ireland" and we all know that won't happen either.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •