Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: PJ Sheehan resigns as party spokesman

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default PJ Sheehan resigns as party spokesman

Fine Gael TD PJ Sheehan has resigned his position as Deputy Spokesperson on Agriculture following a meeting with Enda Kenny this afternoon.

It was reported yesterday that Sheehan had drunkenly threatened a member of the Garda Siochana in July on the grounds of Leinster House.

The statement issued moments ago by the FG Press Office is below.

Personal statement by PJ Sheehan TD

"Following a discussion today with Fine Gael Leader Enda Kenny TD, I have tendered my resignation as Deputy Spokesperson on Agriculture with Special Responsibility for Forestry, with immediate effect.

"I have advised the Party Leader that I do not want to be considered for any other position.

"I will continue to work diligently on behalf of my constituents in Cork South West."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A forestry firing; foresty spokesperson gets the axe, etc.

Enda Kenny releases linked statement: "Ignore what he said."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So... because he was bold he can't speak on Forestry... but is expected to be able to do all the other duties of a TD ?

Facts are
    1) He threatened a garda's career in July
    2) The Gardaí had to investigate
    3) Only yesterday, after his hand was forced by the media, did he say he intended to apologise to the threatened Garda
    4) Enda Kenny knew all about this, was there on the night in question... the resignation is only due to it having become public

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool

"I will continue to work diligently on behalf of my constituents in Cork South West."
    How nice for them! I wonder does it include not jeopardising their lives and health by driving when drunk?

Incidentally, it would be interesting to hear if Gaybo has any comment on the horrible example that this legislator has set and the way in which his actions have undermined efforts to foster a more responsible attitude to traffic safety.

Isn't Gaybo some kind of road safety czar these days?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    So... because he was bold he can't speak on Forestry... but is expected to be able to do all the other duties of a TD ?

Facts are
    1) He threatened a garda's career in July
    2) The Gardaí had to investigate
    3) Only yesterday, after his hand was forced by the media, did he say he intended to apologise to the threatened Garda
    4) Enda Kenny knew all about this, was there on the night in question... the resignation is only due to it having become public

cYp
    Are you suggesting he resign as a TD?
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's passed it.

I'm not quite sure he has made any contribution to Irish politics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KingKane View Post
    Are you suggesting he resign as a TD?
    Well the duties of a TD are far more significant than those of a Forestry spokesperson

Taking away the Forestry spokesperson is just PR guff

This is something that isn't just a drunken incident, it is the lack of apology after

Rather than reduce his workload... I would have required him to give something back

Have him say ... promote the activities of AA, or 100 hours work with some such similar voluntary organisation

When you campare what he got away with, to say Phil Hogan resigning real power over a fax goof...

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

again FG has done the decent thing and he resigns, how unlike The Dull and Wille who were defended to the end, I forget about burke, and the others

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    Well the duties of a TD are far more significant than those of a Forestry spokesperson

Taking away the Forestry spokesperson is just PR guff

This is something that isn't just a drunken incident, it is the lack of apology after

Rather than reduce his workload... I would have required him to give something back

Have him say ... promote the activities of AA, or 100 hours work with some such similar voluntary organisation

When you campare what he got away with, to say Phil Hogan resigning real power over a fax goof...

cYp
    Taking away the forestry role is the only thing Kenny can take away from him, because its the only role Kenny gave him.

Kenny did not give him a seat in Dail Eireann. He won it in an election. Ergo, it is not in Kenny's powers to take it away from him.
    The only people who can do that are Sheehan by resigning, and his electorate.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=KingKane;3014792]Are you suggesting he resign as a TD?[/QUOTE

Yes, a drunken TD who threatens members of the Garda Siochana is unfit to hold public office.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast