Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Wave and tidal! What have we to show for our money?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Wave and tidal! What have we to show for our money?

Anybody with half a brain knows that wind on its own will leave us all in the dark.
    What worries me even more is the belief that Ireland, because of its geographical position off the Atlantic, will become a Mecca for wave and tidal technologies.
    What it seems to have become is a Mecca for chancers claiming grants for pie in the sky technologies that won't work either now or in the future.
    The average Hibernocentric thinks that this is new technology and that we are breaking new ground in this field.
    These aspirations of raising cheap energy from the sea [and the movement thereof], have been around for donkeys years.
    Institutions around the world, both commercial and academic have spent millions trying to solve the problem and have largely given up.
    Now in pounces Eamon Ryan. He and his largess [with our money] is going to pull the rabbit out of the hat and save us all.
    With all the money that has been already spent surely some institution has something to show us for their effort.
    Are we as taxpayers not entitled to some kind of a progress report?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by cry freedom View Post
    Anybody with half a brain knows that wind on its own will leave us all in the dark.
    What worries me even more is the belief that Ireland, because of its geographical position off the Atlantic, will become a Mecca for wave and tidal technologies.
    What it seems to have become is a Mecca for chancers claiming grants for pie in the sky technologies that won't work either now or in the future.
    The average Hibernocentric thinks that this is new technology and that we are breaking new ground in this field.
    These aspirations of raising cheap energy from the sea [and the movement thereof], have been around for donkeys years.
    Institutions around the world, both commercial and academic have spent millions trying to solve the problem and have largely given up.
    Now in pounces Eamon Ryan. He and his largess [with our money] is going to pull the rabbit out of the hat and save us all.
    With all the money that has been already spent surely some institution has something to show us for their effort.
    Are we as taxpayers not entitled to some kind of a progress report?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Everyone knows this environmentalism mumbojumbo is a scam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by junius View Post
    What money? Progress reports? If you spend tuppence you hardly expect progress reports?
    If you spend any of my money I expect a full report
    Minister Ryan has assured us on numerous occasions that wind, wave and tidal will save us from the need to go nuclear.Surely he must have evidence to support this assertion.
    All I ask is that he share it with us!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cry freedom View Post
    If you spend any of my money I expect a full report
    Minister Ryan has assured us on numerous occasions that wind, wave and tidal will save us from the need to go nuclear.Surely he must have evidence to support this assertion.
    All I ask is that he share it with us!
    I'm fine with nuclear so long as the reactor is situated in your back yard!!! I've already suffered severely from your dumping dirty industry in mine for your benefit alone - no benefit whatsoever to me! So long as that's agreed then you and me'll get along fine.

Sit back & chill with this!
    [ame="http://www.vimeo.com/15075367"]http://www.vimeo.com/15075367[/ame]
    Last edited by junius; 19th September 2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: wrong link sorry
    BECAUSE SOME OF US DON'T THINK ABOUT FUTURE GENERATIONS, THEY WILL NEVER FORGET US! https://www.vimeo.com/8668733 'Pipe Down' Corrib gas documentary 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The trouble with wave power is anything that can be designed to be bombarded by waves will be destroyed by waves. Like trying to generate electricity by cycling your bicycle with the brake full on. Gormley should understand that.
    Last edited by Twin Towers; 19th September 2010 at 01:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just apropos this thread. Was reading in the Observer today that Portugal is on course to achieve 60% of its energy needs (it is currently at 45%) from renewables.

Let's learn from Portugal's renewable energy policy | Syma Tariq | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Towers View Post
    The trouble with wave power is anything that can be designed to be bombarded by waves will be destroyed by waves.
    That is one of the problems which need to be overcome. Its also the reason why the Corrib plant was built onshore - too expensive to go offshore. Most of the grants have gone on research and prototypes, I think its worth spending money on R&D although I don't buy into the political hype - as I have said before, the nonsense spouted by politicians about renewable energy is a direct result of the lack of science education among the population.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=junius;3010938]I'm fine with nuclear so long as the reactor is situated in your back yard!!! I've already suffered severely from your dumping dirty industry in mine for your benefit alone - no benefit whatsoever to me! So long as that's agreed then you and me'll get along fine.[QUOTE]

I'd have no problem with a nuclear power station down the road from me so long as it was built to international best practice and standards.
    In fact I would have no problem with either my daughters or indeed my granddaughters house being down wind of it, for that matter.
    Far better that than a coal fired power station.Scrubbers or no scrubbers.
    What would really worry me, junius, is if I had to live downwind of you..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Magror14 View Post
    Just apropos this thread. Was reading in the Observer today that Portugal is on course to achieve 60% of its energy needs (it is currently at 45%) from renewables.

Let's learn from Portugal's renewable energy policy | Syma Tariq | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
    Yes, and I am on course to win the lottery any day now.
    For goodness sake would you all grow up and wakeup.
    This renewables thing is a fairy story.
    It will end up in a heap of expensive crap like the e-voting machines, only costing far more money!

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast