Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Mail: The dark truth of Brian Cowen's drinking

Politics.ie Member MsAnneThrope's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Daily Mail: The dark truth of Brian Cowen's drinking

I figured the Irish Mail on Sunday would have a strong story this weekend, and here it is, hot off the press:

Colleagues say his heavy drinking took a ‘dark turn’ during the Fianna Fáil wilderness years between 1994 and 1997, when the party was in opposition and there was little chance of promotion and none of exercising power. ‘Boredom can be a terrible thing for somebody of his undoubted intelligence,’ said a colleague who worked with him during this period.
    ‘He was razor sharp and energetic but front-bench opposition work did not suit him and he fell into irreversible habits. He drank hard.’

But even when the situation changed - with Fianna Fáil swept to victory under the leadership of Bertie Ahern in June 1997 - Mr Cowen continued his heavy drinking habits.
    He had his pint on the bar and he sat on a stool while the other two stood. They were close enough to where we were sitting for us to overhear snatches of conversation. I went to the bar and passed between the couple and Cowen. He was slumped on the stool and seemed close to sleep.
    ‘As I stood next to him, I said: “How are you?” His reply was an unintelligible cross between an exhalation and a sigh, accompanied by a shaking of the head that set the jowls juddering. He seemed to me to be incapable of speech due to the amount of drink he’d taken. If he formulated a word, I couldn’t make it out.’
    Wednesdays are midweek ‘nights out’ as Thursday is not a Dáil day

Members of the public report seeing him slumped at hotel bar

One Budget night he went on a boozing binge into the early hours

Even as a student, he spent all his food money on ‘liquid lunch’

The dark truth of Irish Prime Minister Cowen’s drinking

They're not holding back in that article
    Last edited by MsAnneThrope; 19th September 2010 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Added link
    We all love animals. Why do we call some 'pets' and others 'dinner'?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This reminds me a lot of the Charles Kennedy issue in the UK. The media were well aware of an issue, but just were waiting for the triggering event in order to run with a collection of tales.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

MrFunkyBoogaloo

It's Cowen Season.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Independent has finished Cowen off:

http://www.politics.ie/media/138407-...ml#post3010785

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is difficult to see how he can survive this.
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like I was wrong, they are trying to get away with changing leader, capitalising on Lenihan's illness and avoiding an immediate general election all at the same time.

It's a high-risk strategy, I hope they come an even bigger cropper because of it.

Politics.ie Member An Gilladaker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bokonon View Post
    The Independent has finished Cowen off:

http://www.politics.ie/media/138407-...ml#post3010785
    The greens now have a last chance if they tell FF to quickly appoint a new leader or they walk otherwise they enter The Tavern of Ruin

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Av bin dee'in sum research intay this carryon a cowens... so a hadda locka pints the nite tay see if I'd be able for an interview in the mornin.... havin said that, ah think I mighta got a bit too serious aboot the research.... ah meant tay go tay bed at half three, but here I am, 6.56am, lissenin tay youtube and trying tay read this gobbledly gook.... tuigim do chás a Bhriain, now I see where ye where comin fray Brian, now I see where ye were comin fray............

Was Hitler not a teetotaller and non-smoker and occasional vegetarian?

Politics.ie Member An Gilladaker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seánod View Post
    Av bin dee'in sum research intay this carryon a cowens... so a hadda locka pints the nite tay see if I'd be able for an interview in the mornin.... havin said that, ah think I mighta got a bit too serious aboot the research.... ah meant tay go tay bed at half three, but here I am, 6.56am, lissenin tay youtube and trying tay read this gobbledly gook.... tuigim do chás a Bhriain, now I see where ye where comin fray Brian, now I see where ye were comin fray............

Was Hitler not a teetotaller and non-smoker and occasional vegetarian?
    Have a good oul Chinese you will be ok

SuBo’s chinese celebration after Pope performance | The Sun |Home Scotland|Scottish News

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Something inside of me just rebels against this. Has his drinking seriously affected the way he does his job? I worry that we are going to let journalists, (Who are not motivated in any way by the public good) set our standards for us.
    We will end up with a tee total baby kissing saint with big tits.
    I will admit that i have only read the extracts in the op, as i myself have been dragged from my pit to watch thunderbirds, after a dining experience that can only be described as corpulent and Guiness and whisky to follow, without regards for this morning.
    The man likes to get sloshed, He doesn't have his finger on the button and i expect their are others who can cover him in the wee hours in dire emergency. (when did that last happen?)
    This is non party pol, i just don't truly trust people without human need or some excess, they are probably truly weird in ways far more scary.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast