Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Before I was a Culchie

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Before I was a Culchie

I don't care if I upset the comrades. This has to be sorted. I've received an invite to a "Conversation with Dick Spring and Susan O'Keeffe" at a bar in Merrion Square Dublin 2 on 7th. October. Only €20 if working, and €10 if unwaged? (hah)

Grand.

Why the hell do women have to go to Dublin to speak with a candidate for the General Election who will represent Sligo North, I think, and converse with Dick Spring who lives in Kerry??

Before I was a culchie I never thought of this. The Labour Party will die a death in the rest of the country if it doesn't make a bloody effort and get the elected gods up off their arses and out and about to meet the voters, everywhere.

Even if I could go, which I can't, who can afford to spend a night in a hotel nowadays? Cop on to yourselves comrades.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    Before I was a culchie I never thought of this. The Labour Party will die a death in the rest of the country if it doesn't make a bloody effort and get the elected gods up off their arses and out and about to meet the voters, everywhere.
    You're being a bit harsh.

Week before last week Gilmore was in Cork, Kerry Limerick and Tipp, and last week, tying in with the think-in he was in Roscommon, Sligo and Mayo. He has moe visits around the country planned

Joan has public meeting planned in Louth and Kilkenny in the next few weeks, and they're just the ones that have come to my attention. In know that in both of these instances, the local organisations were instrumental in arranging the event, so there are plenty of people at local and national level, 'getting off their arses'!

Why don't you invite some of them down yourself?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

People are expected to pay to listen to their politicians ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    People are expected to pay to listen to their politicians ?

Just to be clear it's a Labour Women, (as distinct from Labour Party) fundraiser. So of course people are being asked to put thier hands in their pockets.

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

With the greatest of respect redhead, we need all the help we can get in Mayo. Big time. All the help we can get also, I'm sure, in Sligo. Our hospitals have been decimated. Jerry Cowley is a great candidate but we need a big announcement, not in Dublin, not anywhere but here, in Mayo, with Mayoman Rabbitte, and Galway Leader Gilmore and the rest of them.

This Women's group stuff is, begging your pardon,very old hat now. Men and women are human beings, not different species. We, the women give birth, the men help create that life. The woman should not be treated as a seperate entity by our party no matter what society says.

And by inviting women out to a night out in a Dublin Hotel to meet a woman from Sligo and a man from Kerry hardly lends itself to the ideals behind the idea of Womens' groups which began a very long time ago. If you really want to meet the women, go out to the school gates, invite them and their kids to the local community hall, have a play area for the kids, a cup of tea for the women and a chance to tell their tales, not listen to someone telling them for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And by inviting women out to a night out in a Dublin Hotel to meet a woman from Sligo and a man from Kerry hardly lends itself to the ideals behind the idea of Womens' groups which began a very long time ago. If you really want to meet the women, go out to the school gates, invite them and their kids to the local community hall, have a play area for the kids, a cup of tea for the women and a chance to tell their tales, not listen to someone telling them for them.

Completely agree!!
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This Women's group stuff is, begging your pardon,very old hat now.
    And the county jersey stuff isn't?

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nemi_ View Post
    And the county jersey stuff isn't?
    Beg pardon?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redhead101 View Post
    Just to be clear it's a Labour Women, (as distinct from Labour Party) fundraiser. So of course people are being asked to put thier hands in their pockets.
    but what about the vurnerable the labour party are always talking about and now they want their scarce money to listen to them waffling on about the vulnerabal suffering. doesnt make sense to me anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Look, this is a fundraiser, not a party barnstorming or campaigning event. It makes sense that it take place with the largest number of potential attendees to raise most funds. The purpose isn't, I believem to 'meet' Susan O'Keeffe, it is, I expect, offerring a political cabaret style social event designed to be a bit of an enlightening, fun night out which raises funds for Labour Women.

Of course Party events should take place around the country, that doesn't mean that every event that takes place in Dublin is an affront to the rest of the country. Your local organisation would gain precious little if this event were held in Mayo - much better for campaigning type events to be held around the country and fundraising type events to be targeted to areas where most money can be raised for the party.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast