Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: One Quarter of Entire UUP Membership Belong to Fermanagh & South Tyrone Association

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default One Quarter of Entire UUP Membership Belong to Fermanagh & South Tyrone Association

The Ulster Unionist Party has in the past been noted for its self-destructively democratic nature (remember all those divisive debates between Trimble and Jeffrey Donaldson at the Waterfront Hall).

With a leadership election imminent perceived 'anti-establishment' candidate, Basil McCrea, has finally gained access to the party's membership lists, though only he'd threatened legal action against party officers who are loyal to his rival, Fermanagh man Tom Elliot.

McCrea discovered that around a quarter of the party's entire membership belong to just one constituency association, Fermanagh & South Tyrone. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that all 600 of the F & ST association's members will turn up on the day to vote en bloc for Elliot but it's not good news for McCrea, whose only chance must lie in convincing the three-quarters of the membership who do not reside in F & ST that the party is being subverted by an undemocratic cabal.

In total the UUP has eighteen constituency associations.

Legal threat to the UUP leadership race ebbs - Politics, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

A waning party that conducts a critical leadership election amid such undemocratic circumstances is surely doomed.
    The Empire's Over - Why Don't You Go Home?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Having briefly followed the whole debate (débâcle), this doesn't exactly shock. The UUP are on life-support, at best.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
    Having briefly followed the whole debate (débâcle), this doesn't exactly shock. The UUP are on life-support, at best.
    UUP twinned with SDLP.

Not a bad thing. Political parties can outlive their usefulness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    UUP twinned with SDLP.

Not a bad thing. Political parties can outlive their usefulness.
    I don't dispute the SDLP has been on the wane but it recently managed a leadership election that was democratic.

With internal party democracy in such a sorry state the UUP is not worth saving.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

It is looking pretty bad for the Ulster Unionist party when pretty much everyone does not give a damn that they are having a leadership election or who is competing for that leadership or who wins.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The figures are remarkable.

My party has more members in the local government ward I'm sitting in now than the UUP in the whole of the Lagan Valley constituency.

How can things have come to this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cai View Post
    The figures are remarkable.

My party has more members in the local government ward I'm sitting in now than the UUP in the whole of the Lagan Valley constituency.

How can things have come to this?
    Take a look at the buffoon pontificating on the UUP website and it makes sense
    Ulster Unionist Party Northern Ireland - Working for Good Government and Accou

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by picador View Post
    The Ulster Unionist Party has in the past been noted for its self-destructively democratic nature (remember all those divisive debates between Trimble and Jeffrey Donaldson at the Waterfront Hall).

With a leadership election imminent perceived 'anti-establishment' candidate, Basil McCrea, has finally gained access to the party's membership lists, though only he'd threatened legal action against party officers who are loyal to his rival, Fermanagh man Tom Elliot.

McCrea discovered that around a quarter of the party's entire membership belong to just one constituency association, Fermanagh & South Tyrone. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that all 600 of the F & ST association's members will turn up on the day to vote en bloc for Elliot but it's not good news for McCrea, whose only chance must lie in convincing the three-quarters of the membership who do not reside in F & ST that the party is being subverted by an undemocratic cabal.

In total the UUP has eighteen constituency associations.

Legal threat to the UUP leadership race ebbs - Politics, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

A waning party that conducts a critical leadership election amid such undemocratic circumstances is surely doomed.
    Wow! How very unlike you to misrepresent a story again to meet your own needs.

Firstly explain to me how it is undemocratic? Each member elligible and who turns up gets a vote. Sounds like democracy to me. Just because a larger number of voters are contained in the one association it does not mean the process is undemocratic.

Secondly you make it sound like McCrea has only just discovered that 1/4 of the UUP are in FST. It is a well known fact that the bulk of UUP membership comes from FST. I can't remember if the 1/4 figure came from yourself or the story but 600/2000 is closer to 1/3 in my eyes. McCrea was looking to find a list of those he needed to canvass. It appears the party were a bit lacklustre in keeping fees up to date so rightly so, some of those will not be eligible to vote come the 22nd in that they are not technically fully paid up members any more.

I wonder why so many FST unionist feel associatied in the party compared with membership elsewhere in the country? Would it have anything to do with a social aspect due to the rural nature of the constituency? Perhaps the attempts at ethnic cleansing in border areas have driven the unionists of this constituency to bind together to form a large cohesive unit to show a united front against vile ethnic cleansers?

2000 (total uup membership) - 600 (FST) - 135 (Lagan Valley) = 1265

Divide 1265 by 16 (remaining constituency memberships) and we get 80 roughly.

Are you going to complain about McCrea having nearly double the support that other potential leadership candidates, other than in FST, would have had?
    There is always hope when people are forced to listen to both sides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue84 View Post

Firstly explain to me how it is undemocratic? Each member elligible and who turns up gets a vote. Sounds like democracy to me. Just because a larger number of voters are contained in the one association it does not mean the process is undemocratic.
    You mean, you really can't see the anomaly!!??

Secondly you make it sound like McCrea has only just discovered that 1/4 of the UUP are in FST. It is a well known fact that the bulk of UUP membership comes from FST. I can't remember if the 1/4 figure came from yourself or the story but 600/2000 is closer to 1/3 in my eyes. McCrea was looking to find a list of those he needed to canvass. It appears the party were a bit lacklustre in keeping fees up to date so rightly so, some of those will not be eligible to vote come the 22nd in that they are not technically fully paid up members any more.
    Why would it be well-known if the membership lists are kept secret?

I wonder why so many FST unionist feel associatied in the party compared with membership elsewhere in the country? Would it have anything to do with a social aspect due to the rural nature of the constituency? Perhaps the attempts at ethnic cleansing in border areas have driven the unionists of this constituency to bind together to form a large cohesive unit to show a united front against vile ethnic cleansers?
    Oh, do spare us the mope-act. You've been spending too long on the FAIR website - or its Fermanagh equivalent.

Perhaps the reason there are so many in F & ST is because Tom Elliot has known for sometime that he wants to be leader and has been going round recruiting people.

Are you going to complain about McCrea having nearly double the support that other potential leadership candidates, other than in FST, would have had?
    In that case the party is screwed!

Politics.ie Member Cabbage/Turnip's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you tend to choose words to instigate hatred.. ethnic cleansing? are you serious? would you say the same thing about coleraine and antrim? Its as simple as time and poor party managment... The UUP have bee non existant in the last 5 years and nationalist population boom in recent years has reached voting age but the two togehter you get a a failing UUP in FST

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast