Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Incident at Latin Mass

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Incident at Latin Mass

I can understand it's disturbing that there was scuffling and that the host fell to the ground - but can someone explain the significance of the host being placed in the hand rather than the mouth please ?

Massgoer in Eucharist incident restrained

It occurred when a man approached the altar of the parish church and insisted he get communion in his hand rather than on the tongue.
    Fr Wulfran Lebocq, who was assisting on the altar, quietly told the communicant to take communion on his tongue. This is in accordance with the traditional Latin rite.
    According to onlookers, the communicant told the priest: "You're in Ireland now".

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I'm casting my mind back, I'm pretty sure it's to do with the line of custody of the host. So it's meant to go

1. Normal bread is made
    2. God blesses it through the priest, making it super bread.
    3. Super bread is fed directly to the attendee by the vessel of God.

They don't like the super bread being handled by the attendee as it makes it less holy. It's part of the elevation of priests in the Catholic faith.

Other christian sects hold more closely to the Bible line of "Take this bread and eat it" to the apostles i.e the attendees themselves take the bread and eat it. But again, in many of those other faiths, the priest is just a normal man praising God as opposed to a direct vessel, and the bread is just a symbol as opposed to Superbread.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Got that Sync,thanks.So why did this guy attend the Latin Mass? Perhaps he is too young to remember the way communion was done in the old rite.The old mass is the same everywhere,so I don't see his point about 'you're in Ireland now'.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    I'm casting my mind back, I'm pretty sure it's to do with the line of custody of the host. So it's meant to go

1. Normal bread is made
    2. God blesses it through the priest, making it super bread.
    3. Super bread is fed directly to the attendee by the vessel of God.

They don't like the super bread being handled by the attendee as it makes it less holy. It's part of the elevation of priests in the Catholic faith.

Other christian sects hold more closely to the Bible line of "Take this bread and eat it" to the apostles i.e the attendees themselves take the bread and eat it. But again, in many of those other faiths, the priest is just a normal man praising God as opposed to a direct vessel, and the bread is just a symbol as opposed to Superbread.
    Taking the host in the hand is the usual practice at mass.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dónal na geallaí View Post
    Got that Sync,thanks.So why did this guy attend the Latin Mass? Perhaps he is too young to remember the way communion was done in the old rite.The old mass is the same everywhere,so I don't see his point about 'you're in Ireland now'.
    I would think anyone willing to fight over that sort of thing has other stuff going on with them.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

I'd agree with Dónal on this one. If you don't like the way thay do it at these masses go to one of the other ones. Or in my case none at all

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nicely worded Sync. I am not Catholic, but my kids are. When we visited Ireland, I took them to church to have the experience of what Catholicism is like outside the US. They tried to take communion by hand, and were told quite severely to take it by mouth. We were all surprised at the level of...I almost want to say aggressiveness but that's not quite it...I guess there is just a lack of humor, humanity, and gentleness in comparison to our home church.

I also agre with Sync that there is something more going on with the person involved in this incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Names the Skies View Post
    I'd agree with Dónal on this one. If you don't like the way thay do it at these masses go to one of the other ones. Or in my case none at all
    I used to prefer Benediction when I was a kid.I probably got off on the incense!

But seriously,at mass everyone seemed to be stressed out.Maybe by all that fasting back in the olden days.Ever notice how everyone visibly relaxes when the celebrant finishes his sermon? Back to the liturgy ,everyone likes what they know etc.

I remember one trendy priest who asked people - during his sermon - what they thought about old age pensioners feeling marginalised.There was a wave of horror sweeping through the congregation.Like ' you're doing this pal,not us ,so get on with it!' Likewise at a Protestant carol service I attended the flock sang along with gusto.Whereas at ours the tiny infants were warbling away at the crib all on their own.When they finished there was a drear silence,so I led a round of appause.Timidly at first,thinking to be left on my ownio like the poor little mites.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WyldeOne View Post
    Nicely worded Sync. I am not Catholic, but my kids are. When we visited Ireland, I took them to church to have the experience of what Catholicism is like outside the US. They tried to take communion by hand, and were told quite severely to take it by mouth. We were all surprised at the level of...I almost want to say aggressiveness but that's not quite it...I guess there is just a lack of humor, humanity, and gentleness in comparison to our home church.

I also agre with Sync that there is something more going on with the person involved in this incident.
    When and where did that happen? Communion in the hand has been the normal practice here for many years.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Didimus View Post
    When and where did that happen? Communion in the hand has been the normal practice here for many years.

Four years ago in Lanesboro, County Longford.

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast