Default We won't be wiped out like PDs, insist Greens

Ha...Ha.....
    You will
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If they bring down the government because of inability to get through the Corporate donation ban (or even get it through) , they may claim to be the "watchdog"- much the same way as the PDs stopped the Bertie Bowl gained them some kudos.

Many people , myself included voted Green because they thought the Greens would never go into Government with Ahern, especially after the "Planet Bertie" speech.

I can see Ryan scraping in but not any of the others.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yes you will and if you can't see it coming you are dimmer than I think you are

your gimmicks, Boyles tweeting and Ryans cycling wont be enough to save you

I'm sure people won't forget Sargent and his noble "I won't lead the Greens into govt with FF" stance and, he resigns, then he claims credit while taking the super junior seat at cabinet!!!!!!

Gormless and his hopless NIMBYism re the incinerator shows you up to be no better than any of the rest (the sad fact is that if we go for a small incinerator now who is say that, like the M50) it won't need to massively extended in the future)

but Gormless won't care as he won't be in the Dail-he will be retired on his big fat ministerial pension
    Last edited by TODevastated; 18th September 2010 at 08:45 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Back in '07 I spent 20 minutes chatting with the local Cabbage Candidate at my doorstep. He was even taking pictures of the "No PD/FF B*S" sign on my letterbox. Much of the discussion focussed on Ahern the misLeader's incompetence and more. 3 weeks later and a sniff of power, the little green men were in orbit around Planet Bertie.

Needless to say he hasn't visited my doorstep since.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nakatomi View Post
    Many people , myself included voted Green because they thought the Greens would never go into Government with Ahern, especially after the "Planet Bertie" speech.
    Ditto for me. 'Fool me once...'. Lesson learned!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

at the last local election i put it to the local GP candidate and their reps that they were looking at a PD syle demolition at the next GE and they looked at me as if I had 40 heads and asked me why??

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nakatomi View Post
    I can see Ryan scraping in but not any of the others.
    There isn't a hope Ryan will repeat the feat of 6768 first preference votes,I'd be surprised and he'd be lucky if he gets half that.Won't be too many transfers for him either.End of Ryan's political career at next GE and the greens.Paddy Power go 2/1 that the greens will have no seat after next election,given our PR sstem and the greens reliance on transfers I think thats great value.You could even have a small cover bet at 6/4 of them having 1 seat

Politics.ie Member Squire Allworthy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let us see;

Tara Road; votes of confidence; support for the guarantee bluff; support over the whole banking fiasco; support for NAMA; support for the Anglo bluff, etc etc etc.

Why on earth would anyone vote for them. From a FF perspective they are more mailable than plasticine, you couldn't get more loyal lap dogs.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree that they will likely be wiped out. They'll be gone from the Dail for years but unlike the PDs they will be back, as environmental problems are not going away and will likely get worse.

They would have got an anti-FF vote last time as they seemed to be clearly in opposition to all FF policies. Ironically those opposed to the boom politics, who saw it was a mess in the making, voted Green precisely because they could see FF were leading us into a ditch. All those voters will never vote Green again.

It may put some people off voting Labour next time precisely because the Greens betrayed their voters. Labour may strenuously deny that they will go into Government with FF, but because of what the Greens did, many voters will not believe them. Not that FF will have enough seats to form a coalition with Labour in any case, but that will be the fear.

They will also lose many transfers. Labour voters might give them a transfer or two with an eye to a rainbow coalition but it will not be enough.

The core 'green' constituency will not be enough to get any of them over the line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sargent and Ryan will be the only two elected. So they will have two TDs exactly as the PDs did but they won't dissolve as the PDs did as they are an environmental 'movement' while the PDs were a personalities cult who couldn't exist without the Dail.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast