Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why isn't David Murphy RTE's Economic Correspondent?

Default Why isn't David Murphy RTE's Economic Correspondent?

RTE News' business correspondent David Murphy has made great progress as a presenter of economic related news items. I would imagine he is on strict constraints on what he can say, however he has an indepth relatively bearish but realistic analysis technique in his presentations. He certainly appears to know what he is talking about and of late has seldom defended government policy. He also avoids pollyanna interpretations of the economic indicators and data, unlike most of his contemporaries.

The question is, why is Sean Whelan still economics correspondent?
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

Why don't you apply for the job?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Heard FG want him to be the candidate to replace George Lee !

Quote Originally Posted by Éireann go Brách View Post
    Why don't you apply for the job?
    Could you imagine? What would bond yield be this evening? 56%?

At least I suppose I could bump into Jean Byrne in the RTE canteen for a coffee.
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

Politics.ie Member MsAnneThrope's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He'd get my vote anyway, after his fabulous book 'Banksters', co-written with Martina Devlin. He speaks as he writes - no BS, straight to the point, clear and concise and comes across as 100% sincere.

I sometimes wonder did he upset the apple cart with that book though?
    We all love animals. Why do we call some 'pets' and others 'dinner'?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Agree with the OP.
    Seems you have to "serve" your time in RTE....David hasn't served enough....this in spite of being, quite obviously, the best for the job!
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think he is great, in comparison to Whelan, who was put in it seems to me, as a sort of non controversial safe pair of hands.

Politics.ie Member H.R. Haldeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm, it was my understand that Murphy is Editor and Whelan Correspondent, making Murphy the senior. Open to correction on that though.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just saw Murphy on RTE TV news at One, on latest results from CSO. Why was Whelan appointed or what is he doing ? I find it intriguing.

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Murphy is Business Editor.

RTE decided not to have an Economics editor when GLee left RTE and they demoted the economic role.

Given the standard of Murphy's work (exceptional) - i would worry about his job title.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast