Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 150

Thread: Extension of 50-50 'anti-Protestant'

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Schomberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Dirty Old Town
    Posts
    12,342
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Extension of 50-50 'anti-Protestant'

    Extension of 50-50 'anti-Protestant' - Belfast Today

    A STATEMENT by the chairman of the Police Federation that it
    would support an extension of 50-50 recruitment, if government financial support is forthcoming,has been slammed as "anti- Protestant" and "utterly immoral".

    On Wednesday, the union which represents rank-and-file PSNI officers
    said it would support the extension of the controversial 50- 50 recruitment process, which is due to end next year, to combat the dissident republican threat which it says has the PSNI at breaking point.
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    That seems very odd. How would extending the 50-50 rule help fight the "dissident" republicans?

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    943
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I see this comes from the Newsletter and Jimmy Spratt, what a surprise.

    50-50 is simply another form of affirmative action - getting a historically discriminated against community the opportunity to fully participate in the police, as their numbers demand (43 plus per cent at the last census). Are Americans anti-white because of measures put in place to help blacks and/or Native Americans get jobs?!

    If the Police Federation and the government support its continuation, that's good enough for me. The encouraging of the Catholic community to participate in the Police force is a good thing for the future of Northern Ireland.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Cruimh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    County Londonderry
    Posts
    35,435
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
    Are Americans anti-white because of measures put in place to help blacks and/or Native Americans get jobs?!

    .
    Did blacks and/or Native Americans boycott the police either voluntraily or because they faced at best ostracism and at worst murder for signing up ?

  5. #5

    Default

    I usually disagree with all affirmative action measures,
    People should get jobs based soley on ability.
    the exception being in the area of policing
    Given the history of policing in the Northern pale,
    I think efforts should be made to increase the number of police from
    the green populace and it was right that this was brought in as part of the GFA, however this cannot go on forever and affirmative action in the PSNI
    should be wound down.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    943
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Did blacks and/or Native Americans boycott the police either voluntraily or because they faced at best ostracism and at worst murder for signing up ?
    Many Blacks certainly did. I'm sure I don't need to go into the history of various American police forces, and discrimination against minorities. Or for that matter, discrimination against Catholics who joined the RUC regardless.

    An increasing Catholic participation in the PSNI is good for the whole community in Northern Ireland. The Police Federation (guys who I presume are in the know) and the British government seem to agree with that stance, and believe the continuation of the 50-50 policy for the moment is justified.

    Do you?

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Cruimh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    County Londonderry
    Posts
    35,435
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
    Many Blacks certainly did. I'm sure I don't need to go into the history of various American police forces, and discrimination against minorities. Or for that matter, discrimination against Catholics who joined the RUC regardless.

    An increasing Catholic participation in the PSNI is good for the whole community in Northern Ireland. The Police Federation (guys who I presume are in the know) and the British government seem to agree with that stance, and believe the continuation of the 50-50 policy for the moment is justified.

    Do you?
    I agree - it's just that I dislike the implication that the only reason that RCs were under represented in the RUC was because they were discriminated against by protestants.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member British Citizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Loyalist East Belfast, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,197
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I fully support 50-50 until the catholic representation in the PSNI equals what it is in the general populace.

    These catholic police officers will spend their days talking to the public and see the difference in how the Unionist and Nationalist communities treat them.

    They'll be treated with respect in most Unionist areas and then go to places like west Belfast or Ardoyne and have their vehicles stoned or be called black bastards simply for doing their job.

    Combine this with threats from dissident Nationalists which may cause them to have to move to Unionist areas to live for their family's safety and slowly but surely these catholic PSNI officers become catholic UNIONIST PSNI officers.

    More catholic PSNI officers = more catholic Unionists.

    Simples.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by British Citizen View Post
    I fully support 50-50 until the catholic representation in the PSNI equals what it is in the general populace.

    These catholic police officers will spend their days talking to the public and see the difference in how the Unionist and Nationalist communities treat them.

    They'll be treated with respect in most Unionist areas and then go to places like west Belfast or Ardoyne and have their vehicles stoned or be called black bastards simply for doing their job.

    Combine this with threats from dissident Nationalists which may cause them to have to move to Unionist areas to live for their family's safety and slowly but surely these catholic PSNI officers become catholic UNIONIST PSNI officers.

    More catholic PSNI officers = more catholic Unionists.

    Simples.
    I remember seeing the RUC getting dreadful abuse at Windsor Park in 1993 from folks who were most definitely not of the nationalist persuasion. Comparisons to the SS played a large part in that.

    Does the PSNI get more respect now?
    I am Kilrain of the 20th Maine and I damn all gentlemen
    Whose only worth is their father's name and the sweat of a workin' man

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    943
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by British Citizen View Post
    They'll be treated with respect in most Unionist areas and then go to places like west Belfast or Ardoyne and have their vehicles stoned or be called black bastards simply for doing their job.
    Northern Ireland's worst rioting in years left more than 30 police officers injured, the chief constable has said.

    Loyalist paramilitaries fired at least 50 live rounds at police and the Army after a disputed Protestant Orange Order parade, Sir Hugh Orde said.

    Saturday's rioters in Belfast intended to kill police and it was lucky "we have no dead police officers", he said.
    Rioters 'intended to kill police'

    Quote Originally Posted by British Citizen View Post
    More catholic PSNI officers = more catholic Unionists.

    Simples.
    So peace and improved inter-community relations in Northern Ireland should be encouraged as long as it dovetails with your political agenda.

    Unbelievable, but exactly the type of thing one would expect from an individual like you.
    Last edited by Scipio; 17th September 2010 at 05:50 PM.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •