Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Cullen to Mary Hanafin: "You're hired!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bill Cullen to Mary Hanafin: "You're hired!"

Mary Hanafin should be the Taoiseach

APPRENTICE boss Bill Cullen wants Brian Cowen fired as CEO of Ireland Inc in favour of a "feisty" Mary Hanafin.

The successful entrepreneur believes that the situation is now so dire that all the main parties should come together to form a national government.

However, he wouldn't allow the Green Party into the arrangement because they would ruin the country with a madcap agenda.

The "disappointed" Fianna Fail supporter told the Herald today that he believes Ms Hanafin is the best performer in Irish politics and would "blossom" in the role of Taoiseach.

"Women are multi-taskers. I've been doing school visits for years now. If I go into a girls' school they'll knock the socks off the boys," the self-made millionaire said.

"She is, unfortunately because of the death of her husband, a single lady, so we'll get 120pc from her.

"And she's proven herself in many different ministries over the years. She's been used to go out there and try put up the blocks when things go wrong with the media and she handles it particularly well," he said. "She's a diplomat. And she's feisty. If you get on the wrong side of her, she'll tell you what she thinks.

"She has all the characteristics that I like as a leader. If she got the job she would blossom."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Go F**k yerself Bill and your "lovely, lovely legs" stick with entertainment. It's time for the plain speaking power of a national vote.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mary was able to give a word perfect interview on Newstalk the morning after the night before. She was on Miriam O'Callaghan's TV thingy deflecting criticism from Cowen later that night. Even Miriam saw the irony "Look, I'm sorry...I know you're always wheeled out at times like this..."

She is the typical office "treasure" of the pre-feminist era---the hardworking, dull looking lady secretary who covers for the boss, knows his job better than he does, but who is never promoted, or even noticed....

Cowen has sidelined Hanafin, probably because she is a middle aged, ambitious, competent woman who wants his job, and who has none of Coughlan's ladette bluster.
    She can never be one of the boys, mainly because of her total inability to buy her round, or to sing "Four Roads To Glenamaddy" while sculling pints.
    Doing impersonations of golfers at 3 .a.m seems to be beyond her, also

Just not leadership material, I guess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I reckon FF could do a lot worse than opt for Mary Hanafin.

If nothing else, as the first female Taoiseach she might convince some mnŠ na hEireann to support FF at the next GE (and I can't see anyone else convincing many people of either gender to do that!).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone who uses the term "Ireland, Inc", should have their navel nailed to a tree.

Hey Pearse, how about you add a final stanze to "The Rebel", after "we will try it out with ye, liars, tyrants, Hypocrites", along the lines of:

"And we shall run our country as a corporation, on best practice,
    maximising shareholder value,
    ensuring that our institutions will be competitive in the global marketplace,
    our leaders fit for purpose,
    the nation (inc), shall rise to glory, going forward".

yeah, the boys in 1916 will march to their deaths with those words ringing in their ears, no?
    Last edited by derm0t; 16th September 2010 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkknight View Post
    He's only 'successful' because the taxpayer is subsidising his business.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern manís existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Afaik she is only single in the sense of not being married. It's old news so I hope it's still on the go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why are the pronouncements of this old fossil Cullen given such prominence? Ben Dunne had him pegged a couple of months ago with his withering put down that Cullen was "showing his age". (I bet that hurt). He doesn't even realise how sexist that comment about Hanafin actually was. I wonder what his understanding of "multitasking actually is? If Hanafin is the new standard to aspire to it probably means she can run a cabinet meeting and make sandwiches for the lads at the same time.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What a load of old horsesh1t. He'd be out of business if it wasn't for the scrappage bailout for motor dealers, who in my experience all seems to be rabid FF supporters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The last thing the country needs is a lurch back to our Opus Dei past. Let's leave the pious, sanctimonious repression stuff to Dermo 'Blasphemy Law/Film Banning' Ahern.

Hanafin is DeValera in a dress.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast