Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Vote For Women. What Difference Would It Make?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default No Vote For Women. What Difference Would It Make?

Given that men and women vote for political parties and candidates in the same proportion as men, would it make any difference to the policies pursued by governments if only men voted?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Odyessus View Post
    Given that men and women vote for political parties and candidates in the same proportion as men, would it make any difference to the policies pursued by governments if only men voted?
    Only if it was the women who were dumb enough to vote in FF again in the last election. Sadly there were plenty of dumb men who also did the same.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Camper Van View Post
    Only if it was the women who were dumb enough to vote in FF again in the last election. Sadly there were plenty of dumb men who also did the same.

But given that 50% of the votes each candidate received at the last election were cast by women, why would the result have been any different if men hadn't voted?

Why would it have been any different if women hadn't voted?

Obviously the quotas would have been lower, but the same people would have been elected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It would make a huge difference. Without giving the vote to all adult citizens we wouldn't have been allowed to join the European Project.
    Also politics today would be dominated by the question of giving women the vote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But given that 50% of the votes each candidate received at the last election were cast by women, why would the result have been any different if men hadn't voted?
    Every candidate had an exactly 50/50 split in support? I'm a bit surprised. Where did you hear it?

It may have an influence on who stood or would stand for election. You might find more single issue candidates running for universal suffrage, for example.
    Nothing will motivate the lazy / apathetic / Americanised / west-British types to embrace their culture and the Irish language.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But given that 50% of the votes each candidate received at the last election were cast by women,

How did you find that out?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    Every candidate had an exactly 50/50 split in support? I'm a bit surprised. Where did you hear it?

It may have an influence on who stood or would stand for election. You might find more single issue candidates running for universal suffrage, for example.

I don't say exactly, but I do remember reading that political parties had the same level of support amongst men and women. If that is the case, statistically if one sex completely abstained we should expect the same result as if both sexes were voting.

Your second point is a misinterpretation of what I wrote. It could make no difference to the candidates or the campaign, if the decision to abstain was spontaneous: i.e. not pre-meditated.

P.S. I see I had not explained my point properly. My fault.
    Last edited by Odyessus; 16th September 2010 at 06:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Then you've said absolutely nothing. If you first premise (the one with on evidence) is accepted, and then if you're bizarre hypothesis is added, then yes, the end result would be broadly the same.

But none of that matters in the slightest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But given that 50% of the votes each candidate received at the last election were cast by women, .
    I don't say exactly.
    You never said approximately either.....your wording gives the impression that it was an exact split

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't say exactly, but I do remember reading that political parties had the same level of support amongst men and women. If that is the case, statistically if one sex completely abstained we should expect the same result as if both sexes were voting.
    It's a lot more credible that parties would, overall, have a roughly even gender balance among supporters (to within a few percentage points, I suppose - I'd be interested to see the background to this). But did you read the same about individual candidates, or geographical spread?

Your second point is a misinterpretation of what I wrote. It could make no difference to the candidates or the campaign, if the decision to abstain was spontaneous: i.e. not pre-meditated.
    My apologies for the misinterpretation.
    Nothing will motivate the lazy / apathetic / Americanised / west-British types to embrace their culture and the Irish language.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast