Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dissidents and pub security

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dissidents and pub security

While I know that any story in it has a health warning , yesterday's Evening Herald provided worrying reading ( can't find link ). It was about pubs being made to accept door security from fronts for Continuity and Real IRA.
    Then a friend today reminded me of an incident we both witnessed some years ago in Cork. Door staff on a newly opened pub all wore blazers with a crest of some republican club in Belfast. The pub didn't last too long as it turned out. Nevertheless , if there's anything behind the Herald story , it shows that these " dissidents " are merely racketeers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How renegade republicans launched a bloody turf war to rule city pub doors - City News, National News - Herald.ie
    While I see there's been an underwhelming response to my OP , I think I've managed to source a link to the Herald story .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    How renegade republicans launched a bloody turf war to rule city pub doors - City News, National News - Herald.ie
    While I see there's been an underwhelming response to my OP , I think I've managed to source a link to the Herald story .
    Maybe if your OP posed a question, rather than just your thoughts, it may have gotten a response

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyEdo View Post
    Maybe if your OP posed a question, rather than just your thoughts, it may have gotten a response
    What would you like me to have asked :

Would you employ dissidents to mind your pub ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nevertheless , if there's anything behind the Herald story , it shows that these " dissidents " are merely racketeers.
    Well, it could be a mixture of "dissidence" and racketerring. If you're saying these groups are mere fronts for organised crime, I would be surprised given the recent statement about going after bankers made by one of them. So I guess it would be a mixture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    What would you like me to have asked :

Would you employ dissidents to mind your pub ?
    yeah

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The article mentioned various incidents that have happened over the years, very short in real facts. Looked like a FAS course journo out on a "scoop". Who did you think ran doors and clubs in this country.??

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tis nice to know now that when you get told "not tonight mate regular's only, please stand away from the door", that the person making the decision on your character is most likely a subversive scumbag up to his neck in drugs, illegal firearms, punishment beatings, gangland murders and Christ only know's what else...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O'Brian View Post

f you're saying these groups are mere fronts for organised crime, I would be surprised given the recent statement about going after bankers made by one of them.
    Err, murder, even when the victim is a banker, IS a crime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It appears that the criminals have had enough of the RIRA muscling in on their turf - some have banded together to form the Criminals' Action Force and declared war on "these vultures".

I jest not here - the CAF have issued a long statement which has been printed in full in today's Star.

It's like history repeating itself - didn't Martin Cahill and his cronies form a 'Concerned Criminals' outfit in the 1980s against the IRA and the so-called Concerned Communities Against Drugs?

Would be funny if it wasn't for the fact these CAF thugs have claimed one murder and are prepared to murder more.

If this is the case, the Gardai are going to have some trouble on their hands trying to keep criminal scum and terrorist scum (is there a difference really?) from killing each other and/or innocent bystanders.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast