Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ahern and Parker Green

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ahern and Parker Green

Assisting Cobalted who has less than 100 posts.

Bertie, Waterford's new fashion outlet and Ferrybank's demise - Kilkenny People

So Ahern joined up in Sep 2008 just after the shlte (economy) hits the fan and low and behold PG are into Anglo for at least 65m and the underlying security does not look too good.

They are now pressing to build a large factory unit in Waterford beside two other white elephants which will/might employ 300 in construction and 200 in retail if finished.

When will people learn that new jobs in retail, at times like this, essentially replace old jobs in retail and the net gain on employment is nil but the T & C's on the new employment will be a lot worse than the old.

If one was to be real cynical here, I could say, in my personal opinion, that the main reason for PG to take the great liar on board would be to ensure a safe passage into Nama, sit still for a while and buy back the underlying security quitely, later on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A good find Stanley and Cobalted, many thanks. Please keep up the good work, because that toxic viper Ahern needs to be watched like a hawk. Now that his political career has come to a shuddering halt, his main focus is on lining his pockets.
    Last edited by Mushroom; 15th September 2010 at 02:29 PM.
    Founded in 2003, Politics.ie has one of the most engaged, respected and influential politics and current affairs communities.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

So you or Cobalted think that PG brought in Ahern to help with Nama. Despite Anglo not receiving it's first govt injection until December 08 and a full year prior to NAMA being set up. It's delusional rubbish of course, but even it were true, well you could hardly fault them for devloping such amazing psychic powers now could you?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think ahern was brought in to smooth passage in to NAMA. I'm not in a position to speculate as to the resons for bringing him on board.

Thanks Stanley for posting the article here. There's a whole lot going on in it.

To qoute Senator Phelan

" the very close and obvious links between a multiple of individuals stinks of cronyism and the type of relationships that got this country into the mess it is in"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    So you or Cobalted think that PG brought in Ahern to help with Nama. Despite Anglo not receiving it's first govt injection until December 08 and a full year prior to NAMA being set up. It's delusional rubbish of course, but even it were true, well you could hardly fault them for devloping such amazing psychic powers now could you?

The people in the know including every developer worth his salt knew the game was running out in 2006 and defo in 2007, first Govt injection was way later, you hardly think the Govt took the first action.

PG were being smart as there is not a company in the Republic would touch Ahern with a 40' barge pole, PG being based in NI and having other overseas developments took a gamble on Ahern but you can bet the goal is Nama, would bet the factory shop style outlet(s) in Waterford is merely kite-flying.

Ahern is trying to line his pockets as usual, he knows no better, his supposed influence would be in Govt/State matters, this is also why he joined the Swiss outfit to use his influence on the Coillte front, what's happening in Waterford is his old speciality - planning permissions ala Mahon, surprised Dunlop has not been parachuted in.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    I imagine their reasons for bringing Ahern in would have been very basic and "old fashioned", a belief that he would "assist" them.
    Also with so many storm clouds gathering they would have known that putting a recently retired Taoisech on their board would position them in the public mindset rightly or wrongly as a"good developer". I mean what sort of a moron of a Taoiseach would join a toxic developer??
    Treasury (and Quinlan also for a while) also did this brilliantly for two years deliberately feeding a dumb media stories about how they were "different" and "shrewder". We know different now.
    This has always been Ahern's great skill as opposed to the insatiable apetite of greedy pigs like Lawlor or Burke who just charged in and demanded loot up front.

Ahern just creates an illusion.
    A sly grin here, a well timed nod.
    Many have remarked that in terms of getting the job done Ahern was "unreliable".
    I think it was Eamon Dunphy who remarked that Owen O Callaghan didn't trust Bertie to get a job done.
    IE
    Your donation bought you nothing other than a hope things might fall your way.
    This was closer the Haughey model although probably not on such a grand scale.
    Hand over the loot and see how the cards fell.

A real mafia style operation, never discuss with the don specifically what you want merely show him your gratitude and usually things will occur to your benefit.

Of cousre with Bert nothing was ever simple.

In an overall sense you have to wonder the sheer sanity of a just retired Taoiseach joining the board of a property developers in the teeth of a property meltdown.
    But then again this is Bertie and to expect convention or normality to apply to him or his dealings is absurd.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stanley View Post
    The people in the know including every developer worth his salt knew the game was running out in 2006 and defo in 2007, first Govt injection was way later, you hardly think the Govt took the first action.
    Agree. And that's why the Irish Glassbottle site is such a mystery. What was really behind the purchase of that cesspit?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dalywise View Post
    Agree. And that's why the Irish Glassbottle site is such a mystery. What was really behind the purchase of that cesspit?

Besides every tax break that FF could come up with, perhaps they were teeing up a buyer in the IRFU, knowing that they would not get planning permission in Ballsbridge for an 80k + stadium and the Govt was going to help out bigtime with the finance, maybe the Dunner would have bought Lansdowne Road, who knows.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The whole Bertie/Switzerland/Coillte thing I find profoundly disturbing, and I'm astounded that hardly anybody seems to care, and even when you tell people you just get a resigned shrug.

A broken people.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anorakphobia View Post
    I imagine their reasons for bringing Ahern in would have been very basic and "old fashioned", a belief that he would "assist" them.
    Also with so many storm clouds gathering they would have known that putting a recently retired Taoisech on their board would position them in the public mindset rightly or wrongly as a"good developer". I mean what sort of a moron of a Taoiseach would join a toxic developer??
    Treasury (and Quinlan also for a while) also did this brilliantly for two years deliberately feeding a dumb media stories about how they were "different" and "shrewder". We know different now.
    This has always been Ahern's great skill as opposed to the insatiable apetite of greedy pigs like Lawlor or Burke who just charged in and demanded loot up front.

Ahern just creates an illusion.
    A sly grin here, a well timed nod.
    Many have remarked that in terms of getting the job done Ahern was "unreliable".
    I think it was Eamon Dunphy who remarked that Owen O Callaghan didn't trust Bertie to get a job done.
    IE
    Your donation bought you nothing other than a hope things might fall your way.
    This was closer the Haughey model although probably not on such a grand scale.
    Hand over the loot and see how the cards fell.

A real mafia style operation, never discuss with the don specifically what you want merely show him your gratitude and usually things will occur to your benefit.

Of cousre with Bert nothing was ever simple.

In an overall sense you have to wonder the sheer sanity of a just retired Taoiseach joining the board of a property developers in the teeth of a property meltdown.
    But then again this is Bertie and to expect convention or normality to apply to him or his dealings is absurd.

Ahern had to be cuffed around the earholes to sign off special designation tax status on the Athlone SC by Albert as he was stalling on signing it off as the Govt was falling, it was their collective last act.

OOC, FF's favourite donor, had to apply full pressure on Albert as he got nowhere fast with Ahern, luckily for OOC Albert remembered, this deal was the cause of major friction between the 2 FF'ers, think OOC had to cough up twice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast