Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Ambassador to Vatican

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default UK Ambassador to Vatican

BBC Has this story about Tony Blair's former private secretary.

Vatican ambassador in warning over Pope visit protests

While he makes fair comments - I have to wonder if it is his place as a British Civil Servant to make comments like this. He is supposed to be a link between the British Government and the Vatican - not the other way round !

Blair lifted Catholic ban for 'Our Man In The Vatican'

In 1917 the Foreign Office issued a memorandum saying that Britain's representative at the Vatican "should not be filled with unreasoning awe of the Pope," and the post had been filled by a non-Catholic until Mr Campbell's appointment.
    From the first link:

The Rathfrliand native also played down reports that the visit has failed to attract much interest from Irish Catholics.
    "First I would say that this is an ecclesiastical visit to Britain - the Churches of Scotland and England and Wales - so the fact that there is little interest or uptake from Ireland is not new.

It certainly strikes me that Mr Campbell in the first article sounds more like a vatican spokesman than a British Civil Servant.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    BBC Has this story about Tony Blair's former private secretary.

Vatican ambassador in warning over Pope visit protests

While he makes fair comments - I have to wonder if it is his place as a British Civil Servant to make comments like this. He is supposed to be a link between the British Government and the Vatican - not the other way round !

Blair lifted Catholic ban for 'Our Man In The Vatican'

From the first link:

It certainly strikes me that Mr Campbell in the first article sounds more like a vatican spokesman than a British Civil Servant.
    It strikes me that he is useing very "Diplomatic"language,its what "Diplomats" are well paid to do Cruimh.

I agree with his comments,there will be demonstrations and those people have every right to peacefully demonstrate.

If as expected the Royal visit to Ireland goes ahead next year i plan to demonstrate in a peaceful and dignified way(presumeing ime still around).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by idle tim View Post
    It strikes me that he is useing very "Diplomatic"language,its what "Diplomats" are well paid to do Cruimh.

I agree with his comments,there will be demonstrations and those people have every right to peacefully demonstrate.

If as expected the Royal visit to Ireland goes ahead next year i plan to demonstrate in a peaceful and dignified way(presumeing ime still around).
    There have always been problems with diplomats becoming too close to regimes and losing their way - Bewley in Germany springs to mind.

We may agree with his comments - I do - but is it the place of a British civil servant to make political comments of this sort ?

He comes across as a Vatican Spokesman rather than a representative of the British government - especially in relation to his comments about Irish attendance.

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Big streeeeeeeeeeetch there Cruimh ? Back to the old Orange " all RC's are disloyal " are we ? Well according to the BBC documentary about him he seemed perfectly normal. Strangely enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't see what the problem is?
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    There have always been problems with diplomats becoming too close to regimes and losing their way - Bewley in Germany springs to mind.

We may agree with his comments - I do - but is it the place of a British civil servant to make political comments of this sort ?

He comes across as a Vatican Spokesman rather than a representative of the British government - especially in relation to his comments about Irish attendance.
    Yeah id have to agree with wes, your clucthing at straws and trying to make something of nothing.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    Big streeeeeeeeeeetch there Cruimh ? Back to the old Orange " all RC's are disloyal " are we ? Well according to the BBC documentary about him he seemed perfectly normal. Strangely enough.
    Why ?

He's a civil service representative of HM government to the Vatican.

His job isn't to represent the Vatican in the UK - it's the other way round.

This has nothing to do with orangeism - I doubt if the OO had control of the FO in 1917.

There does seem to be a conflict of interest/loyalty here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nothing to do with the OP, but do you think someone will try and 'have a shot' at Il Papa, serious question.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There was a documentary on one of the UK channels the other evening about Francis Campbell and his role as UK ambasador to the Vatican. He came across as a decent enough chap!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First I would say that this is an ecclesiastical visit to Britain - the Churches of Scotland and England and Wales - so the fact that there is little interest or uptake from Ireland is not new.
    I see your problem Cruimh.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast