Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Thejournal.ie

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Thejournal.ie

Anyone on this yet. Got an invite to have a look.
    Dont know if it will work but reckon its a good effort nonetheless.
    thejournal.ie

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SKELLY View Post
    Anyone on this yet. Got an invite to have a look.
    Dont know if it will work but reckon its a good effort nonetheless.
    thejournal.ie
    ???

You have to submit an email address before you get to find out what's in it or what it is. Advertising scam or what? If not the organisers need to do a rethink on how it's presented.
    “A healthy social life is found only, when in the mirror of each soul the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living” R. Steiner

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry, its a site like the huffington post. Articles about current affairs with added user generated content. Kinda hard to describe.
    Site isnt live yet thats why you have to sign up.

Here is some more info
    Daft brothers move to news | The Post

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This kind of thing seems to be the trend these days. A similar site - newswhip.ie - is supposed to be launching soon too.

Then there's Mark Little's storyful.com - not live yet, but the current homepage design is very impressive

Politics.ie Member H.R. Haldeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is a story, perhaps an urban myth, that the big tobacco firms in the US have very large shareholdings in (private) healthcare provision. The cruel irony being that they spend half their time taking your money in return for giving you cancer, and once you've got it, they take the rest of your money treating and attempting to cure that cancer.

Whilst I genuinely have time for the Fallons' entrepreneurial nous, I do see a slightly creepy parallel. Back in the day, Daft jumped on the de jour bandwagon that eventually killed the patient. Now, journal.ie is jumping on the de jour bandwagon of hand-wringing at the post-mortem.

I think you'd refer to that timeline as pro-cyclical, and I think we all understand the problems of such an approach at this stage.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Seems to be current affairs and politics orientated. I just hope they won't have the usual numpties from the Irish "technology" media "writing" about technology.

Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Best of 2010....

I have to say I think the Journal was the Irish news/current affairs technology innovation of 2010 for me. Well done. Will it last? Not so sure if they have a business model any different from Daft. Hope it does.

Other innovations I would highlight for 2010 (either new or came to the fore) are:

* Politico.ie live blogging.
    * Vincent Browne's Tonight programme getting the hang of the Twitter hastag thing - and promoting great discussion online during the programme - #vinb
    * Same for *rtept and rtefl.
    * Broadsheet.ie - good for a laugh.
    * Some of the Irish Times political blogs are good too.

What turned out to be disappointing, not worth it:

* Newswhip.ie - going nowhere.
    * Storyful.com - lost the moment, not that interesting from a local perspective, thejournal.ie is miles better.
    * RTE Morning Ireland twitter efforts.
    * The Irish twitter political celebs and bloggers mouthing off - complete waste of space. Same old sheep mentality.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DerBreffmeister View Post
    I have to say I think the Journal was the Irish news/current affairs technology innovation of 2010 for me. Well done. Will it last? Not so sure if they have a business model any different from Daft. Hope it does.
    The thing about running online services is that you need significant traffic levels for an advertising supported model. The danger for an online service in Ireland is that the market is very small so unless it is a highly monetisable (good advertising rates and revenue) niche or a broad coverage site, it will be difficult for it to survive more than a year or so before the backers have to fold it.

Regards...jmcc