Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 90

Thread: 120 Irish troops to join EU battle group

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Ulster-Lad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dún na nGall
    Posts
    10,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default 120 Irish troops to join EU battle group

    The troops will be part of a 1,500 strong Nordic battle group which will be on stand-by for six months for deployment at five days' notice to trouble spots around the world.
    The battle group concept was developed less than a decade ago to enable the EU to respond rapidly to emergencies and disasters.

    They can be deployed to help stabilise crisis situations and contribute to humanitarian efforts
    RTÉ News: 120 Irish troops to join EU battle group

    IMO this does not sit well with the concept of Irish Neutrality. Either we are a neutral nation or not. This issue was brought up in the Lisbon debates as well.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    2,528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Yawn.

    We have been part of the NBG for many many years now.

    By the way, what is this irish neutrality of which you speak?

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    RTÉ News: 120 Irish troops to join EU battle group

    IMO this does not sit well with the concept of Irish Neutrality. Either we are a neutral nation or not. This issue was brought up in the Lisbon debates as well.
    You are aware the Ireland has been part of the Nordic Battle Group since 2008? Even before the first vote on Lisbon.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Ulster-Lad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dún na nGall
    Posts
    10,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    enable the EU to respond rapidly to emergencies and disasters
    So the Triple Lock does not apply to them if they had to be deployed to say Kosovo in an emergency?
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    So the Triple Lock does not apply to them if they had to be deployed to say Kosovo in an emergency?
    If only there was some way to search the internet...

    Department of Defence - Press Releases

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by munky View Post
    You are aware the Ireland has been part of the Nordic Battle Group since 2008? Even before the first vote on Lisbon.
    The Irish government is not noted for shouting their EU "defence" policy from the roof tops in fairness.
    "Keep the public busy, busy, busy, with no time to think; back on the farm with the other animals." - Henry Kissinger

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Ulster-Lad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dún na nGall
    Posts
    10,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Deployment of the Irish element of the Battlegroup on an operational mission will be subject to the requirements of the Triple Lock. “Ireland’s commitment to the Triple Lock is absolute. Irish troops will not be deployed to any conflict zone without the triple lock of UN, Government and Dáil approval,” confirmed Minister O’Dea.
    Oh I see, how stupid of me. We are only acting as though we will participate in this.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    8,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by munky View Post
    If only there was some way to search the internet...

    Department of Defence - Press Releases
    Which is complete ************************e.

    Seriously can we even argue that we are an Indpendent state, while China, France, the UK, the US and Russia have the power to stop us deploying our armed forces. It really is a joke and we must be the only Indpendent state in the world that does not have total control over what we can do with our armed forces.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

  9. #9

    Default

    Err, Rocky, we pretty much have "total control over what we can do with our armed forces", except where it involves their deployment to someone else's country. That's the kind of military restriction I'm happy to live with! It's a pity that the countries you mentioned do not also subject themselves to such a restriction.
    "Activists of the Party of European Socialists are doing a most important job. You are bridge-builders across frontiers, creating a true, cross-border democracy."

    Poul Nyrup Rasmussn, PES President, Madrid 2008.

    Party of European Socialists

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Grumpy Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6,080
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PES Activist View Post
    Err, Rocky, we pretty much have "total control over what we can do with our armed forces", except where it involves their deployment to someone else's country. That's the kind of military restriction I'm happy to live with! It's a pity that the countries you mentioned do not also subject themselves to such a restriction.
    The point is that under the ridiculous 'Triple Lock', the US, UK, France, Russia and China can prevent Ireland deploying troops on missions that the government wants to join.

    Are you happy that ultimate decision on the deployment of Irish troops is subject to veto in Washington, London, Paris, Moscow and Beijing?

    Any such decision should be for the Cabinet and the Dail alone.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •