Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ian Paisley Senior back on form :- "UK a Protestant country, NOT a secular one!".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ian Paisley Senior back on form :- "UK a Protestant country, NOT a secular one!".

Seen him rambling on UTV news, he's planning a huge protest with his free Presbyterian church.

The man is embarassing himself after enjoying a few years of being considered a changed man.

He also said..

"The Pope's visit will Destroy our whole history over night and everything that made Britain great, and it will do".

The old over the top scaremongering is rearing its ugly head again, and when it comes from his mouth it has proven to be very dangerous indeed.

A reformed man?

Obviously not.

A priests car and a chapel was attacked last night as recent anti-Catholic hysteria is whipped up by politicians and the media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by st333ve View Post
    Seen him rambling on UTV news, he's planning a huge protest with his free Presbyterian church.
    60 people, hardly a huge protest. my guess is he'll be only one of thousands out to protest the visit on all sorts of grounds.
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

60 people from his church, that doesn't include the stragglers.
    Imagine all the bigots who have a last chance to see Paisley speak his bile infront of the Pope again.
    It's not just a Protestant Ulster for Protestant people, he's now speaking on behalf of the English Welsh and Scots who I'm quite sure will find really strange, especially as they are living in the modern age in a multi-cultural secular country and most never even think of labelling it a certain religion.

I bet British Citizen is buying his Ryan Air ticket as we speak, pity they didn't leave this dump a month earlier.
    Last edited by st333ve; 14th September 2010 at 03:20 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Although, as far as I'm concerned, the pope can can take a long walk off a short pier, saying that his visit will be some sort of catastrophe is an over reaction in the extreme. if these people really want to protest his visit, they chould do what they do every Thursday and completely ignore it. The papal events will all be a disaster of a non event anyway

If/when those events fail, that'll mean Ireland will never recieve another visit, there are more catholics in the UK afterall.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've no problem with people disliking the Pope, but Paisleys ramblings about their history being destroyed over night and the UK being a Protestant country is extremism, or at the very least some sort of Loyalist medieval craziness.

There's lots of legitimate concerns you could highlight about the Catholic church, infact I could go on all night but this nonsense is just dillusional rambling and not actually attached to these concerns.

If it was crazy to say "Northern Ireland is a Protestant country for Protestant people" in a different era, then surely saying Scotland, England an Wales is one today is even more crazy?
    Last edited by st333ve; 14th September 2010 at 03:21 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Legally speaking, he's entirely correct. The established church in England and Wales is the Protestant Church of England, the established church in Scotland is the Protestant Church of Scotland.

Furthermore, the Act of Settlement prohibits anyone who is not of the Protestant faith from becoming monarch and titular head of the Church of England.

Although I doubt that's what's motivating Paisley...

Politics.ie Member H.R. Haldeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The language sounds so dated and redundant in 2010 it's not true. It feels decades out of time.

My description of the UK would be as a post-religious society. Not sure how different that is to "secular" - perhaps it's a complimentary term? Post-religious and secular. "Post religious" also fillets Dr. Paisley's rather laughable description of it as "Protestant", which is patent nonsense except for in an archaic and formal (constitutional) sense that nobody there really gives a toss about.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sondagefaux View Post
    Legally speaking, he's entirely correct. The established church in England and Wales is the Protestant Church of England, the established church in Scotland is the Protestant Church of Scotland.

Furthermore, the Act of Settlement prohibits anyone who is not of the Protestant faith from becoming monarch and titular head of the Church of England.

And effectively Prime Minister too, Blair had to wait until he left office to convert to Catholicism, Disraeli converted to Anglicanism before he could become PM. They don't like to advertise it because it raises questions about how much of a democracy they are but without a rule change that hasn't happened yet a Catholic cannot become PM of the UK.

So in that sense, what Paisley said had an element of truth.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sondagefaux View Post

Legally?

The British establishment describes its country as secular.
    The people of Britain are very secular.

Paisley like many Loyalists, are a world apart from Britain and it's people.
    The massive amounts of British flags will not make up for this.

BBC NEWS | Programmes | wtwtgod | UK among most secular nations

Paisley is totalitarian leaning like many Unionists, they describe a country based on the power of its elite, what Queen is the Priminister etc.
    They totally over look the actual people there who are of various other religions.
    What the elite want is over and above what the people want or think, Therefore they are ignored and the country is described as 'Protestant'.

There's more Muslims in England than there is Protestants in 'Ulster'.
    There are millions of Catholics in Britain too.

Paisley's rant is like saying saying Britain is a white country because the majority are.
    Last edited by st333ve; 14th September 2010 at 04:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shock and horror reknowed Anti-Catholic (Church not people) is protesting at the visitation of the head of the Church
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast