Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Take back the city..?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Take back the city..?

I happened to be in the city centre today just strolling around the O'Connell Street/Quays area. I know its been brought up before but the whole area is overrun with junkies. I saw two openly dealing in the lane beside Wynns hotel. I went in to the shop near the corner of OConnell street and was speaking to the asian guy behind the till and he says he is plagued with dealers at his door and junkies robbing from him.
    On O'Connell street the place was like a scene from a zombie movie with slack jaws and pinpoint pupils everywhere. The worst sight is the ones pushing small children around in prams while selling drugs. I saw tourists stare in horror at this scene
    Surely we can do something to take our city back from Drug addicts and their dealers.
    As a Firefighter/Paramedic I see what conditions these people live in and it aint glamourous. I know people will scream about a lack of facilities and amenities etc but there is NO excuse for some of these people as they went in to heroin with their eyes wide open. Its not like the first generation who are all dead now from AIDs or O/Ds.
    I know this may be unpopular with some elements but can we

1. Take away the kids of any known addict and only return them if they are proven clean. Full visitation etc but they are not fit to look after a gold fish in the state they are in and we are just creating the next generation of junkies.

2. Have a constant police presence in the City centre area and if a dealer is caught then they get 5 years minumum. Second offence 10 years etc.

I know the problem will move elsewhere but just keep harrasing them until it stops. The usual free drugs for all brigade will show up and state that by legalising it we would stop dealers but then all we would have is a bigger zombie army in our city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    I happened to be in the city centre today just strolling around the O'Connell Street/Quays area. I know its been brought up before but the whole area is overrun with junkies. I saw two openly dealing in the lane beside Wynns hotel. I went in to the shop near the corner of OConnell street and was speaking to the asian guy behind the till and he says he is plagued with dealers at his door and junkies robbing from him.
    On O'Connell street the place was like a scene from a zombie movie with slack jaws and pinpoint pupils everywhere. The worst sight is the ones pushing small children around in prams while selling drugs. I saw tourists stare in horror at this scene
    Surely we can do something to take our city back from Drug addicts and their dealers.
    As a Firefighter/Paramedic I see what conditions these people live in and it aint glamourous. I know people will scream about a lack of facilities and amenities etc but there is NO excuse for some of these people as they went in to heroin with their eyes wide open. Its not like the first generation who are all dead now from AIDs or O/Ds.
    I know this may be unpopular with some elements but can we

1. Take away the kids of any known addict and only return them if they are proven clean. Full visitation etc but they are not fit to look after a gold fish in the state they are in and we are just creating the next generation of junkies.

2. Have a constant police presence in the City centre area and if a dealer is caught then they get 5 years minumum. Second offence 10 years etc.

I know the problem will move elsewhere but just keep harrasing them until it stops. The usual free drugs for all brigade will show up and state that by legalising it we would stop dealers but then all we would have is a bigger zombie army in our city.
    I see it every day and it is depressing and it is getting worse and there is nothing I can do .
    Marlborough St is a disaster like the Micheal Jackson video one gets to view the walking dead.
    These kids need help and what do we do? Phuck all.
    Maybe if a methadone clinic was placed in Dublin 4 the ************************s would begin to pay attention

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goban Saor View Post
    Legalise it and the problems go away.
    Legalise heroin. Excellent idea. Not.
    Where, after all, is the Muslim outrage at these events? As their ancient, deeply civilized culture of love, art and philosophical reflection is hijacked by paranoiacs, racists, liars, male supremacists, tyrants, fanatics and violence junkies, why are they not screaming? Salman Rushdie (2002)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Absolutely. They register for free heroin and their kids are monitored far better too. Prohibition has never worked on anything anywhere. Why does a State feel it has the right to say that an adult cannot use drugs anyway? If you want to do drugs, bungee jump or swim with sharks, you are an idiot but it's not the State's business.

Legalise it and provide it cheaply and crime goes down, addicts are healthier and their kids do better.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

Politics.ie Member Mister_Jinks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeDroit View Post
    Absolutely. They register for free heroin and their kids are monitored far better too. Prohibition has never worked on anything anywhere. Why does a State feel it has the right to say that an adult cannot use drugs anyway? If you want to do drugs, bungee jump or swim with sharks, you are an idiot but it's not the State's business.

Legalise it and provide it cheaply and crime goes down, addicts are healthier and their kids do better.
    Yeah. I agree. Criminal justice has failed completely as a solution to the drug problem. I suppose that the issue with narcotics is that drug abuse tends to impose a great cost on society. As such, narcotics will probably remain illegal for some time to come. Until there is some enlightened and non-conservative thinking on the matter.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_Jinks View Post
    Yeah. I agree. Criminal justice has failed completely as a solution to the drug problem. I suppose that the issue with narcotics is that drug abuse tends to impose a great cost on society. As such, narcotics will probably remain illegal for some time to come. Until there is some enlightened and non-conservative thinking on the matter.
    I would have thought Le Droits comments were eminently conservative and sensible.It is the the left,usually calling themselves democrats of one sort or other who are mad for government expansion/intrusion into the minutiae of individual lives and by extension society at large.True conservatives (not much of them about) are all for individual liberty to engage in all manner of stupidity provided the general welfare is not disturbed or menaced.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When it comes to opiates, that is naive and simplistic, and just silly.

You still have to buy the heroin, so one could argue, not to legalise it but make it free to registered addicts, on condition of rehab to get off the stuff.
    Condemnant quod non intellegunt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I work in the city center and have to walk past dozens of junkies and dealers to get my bus home every evening.

I've been told that the problem is that, unique in Europe, all the methdone centers are in the city center in Dublin. Every day about 2k junkies stagger into the center to get their free morning hit, and then hang around buying more and robbing during the day waiting for their evening dose.

Every other major european city have treatment centers outside the city center. Its safer that way as there there are fewer opertunities for mugging and robbing. Dublin doesn't move these treatment centers out because of the nimby backlash - so the city center and our business and tourism suffers instead.

The solution, I think, is to use the state-owned ghost estates. Convert one or two distant ones into combined junkie housing and drug treatment. The junkies would leave the city, and be quickly followed by the dealers. Crime would drop. The city would get cleaned up. Tourists would return. The Nimbys couldn't object.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    I work in the city center and have to walk past dozens of junkies and dealers to get my bus home every evening.

I've been told that the problem is that, unique in Europe, all the methdone centers are in the city center in Dublin. Every day about 2k junkies stagger into the center to get their free morning hit, and then hang around buying more and robbing during the day waiting for their evening dose.

Every other major european city have treatment centers outside the city center. Its safer that way as there there are fewer opertunities for mugging and robbing. Dublin doesn't move these treatment centers out because of the nimby backlash - so the city center and our business and tourism suffers instead.

The solution, I think, is to use the state-owned ghost estates. Convert one or two distant ones into combined junkie housing and drug treatment. The junkies would leave the city, and be quickly followed by the dealers. Crime would drop. The city would get cleaned up. Tourists would return. The Nimbys couldn't object.
    Again, over simplistic.

You are advocating that people should have to leave their homes ?

How many of those Dublin 1 junkies have cars.., or should they all the take the 67A ? The greatest concentration of heroin use is in the city, therefore the clinics are there.

San Francisco has tons of junkies and winos on the streets, doesn't affect tourism or business, however they also have cops that do things.
    Condemnant quod non intellegunt.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast