Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Heave Against Cowen?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default The Heave Against Cowen?

When will Fianna Fail dispose of the failure Cowen? Now that Lenihan's cancer has "stabilised" will he be the king-maker in any move to dispose of Cowen as taoiseach? And most importantly, who is best placed to succeed Cowen?

Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What is the Parliamentary Party doing in the Ardilaun Hotel for three days?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    When will Fianna Fail dispose of the failure Cowen? Now that Lenihan's cancer has "stabilised" will he be the king-maker in any move to dispose of Cowen as taoiseach? And most importantly, who is best placed to succeed Cowen?

Regards...jmcc
    Sorry jmcc for this tangent to your thread, but I am too much of a newbie here to be allowed to start a thread, or PM anybody, or etc etc - and this seems pertinent.

From what I hear, Lenihan's health has not stabilised, and he will not be in any position to depose Cowen personally.

I believe there was something on the radio today about the Parliamentary Party having an urgent and very hush 3 day meeting in the Ardilaun Hotel in Galway. I didn't hear it, but have found out that the hotel has been cleared, traffic diverted and that the local residents have been complaining that the expense of such a meeting, security, state cars etc is a disgrace.

It is curious that such a meeting is not taking place in Dublin, where the details of the budget were hammered out in secrecy. The rumour is that there is talk of a coalition between FF and FG......

Anyone here know anything about this?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cjudge View Post
    Sorry jmcc for this tangent to your thread, but I am too much of a newbie here to be allowed to start a thread, or PM anybody, or etc etc - and this seems pertinent.

From what I hear, Lenihan's health has not stabilised, and he will not be in any position to depose Cowen personally.

I believe there was something on the radio today about the Parliamentary Party having an urgent and very hush 3 day meeting in the Ardilaun Hotel in Galway. I didn't hear it, but have found out that the hotel has been cleared, traffic diverted and that the local residents have been complaining that the expense of such a meeting, security, state cars etc is a disgrace.

It is curious that such a meeting is not taking place in Dublin, where the details of the budget were hammered out in secrecy. The rumour is that there is talk of a coalition between FF and FG......

Ya - definitely on the cards and Enda `No Taxes, No Cuts´ Kenny is to be MoF

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's no secret. FF (and all other parties) have a think-in at the end of the (ridiculously long) summer vacation. FF own the public service, so they can order things to suit themselves, including banning the hoi polloi from the vicinity of where they get legless. At your expense, of course. Crisis? What crisis.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nothing sinister. A quick search of google turned up this piece from the galway news of 25th August 2010. It's the 'think-in' where FF do thinkin.

Labour bring battle to FF and Greens ? with phone campaign about the cuts | Connacht Tribune | galwaynews.ie
    Fianna Fail will be holding a two-day Parliamentary Party meeting in the Ardilaun House Hotel in Galway on September 11-12, but now has come word that Labour will be holding a think-in seminar in Roscommon the same week, and Labour will also hold a major policy launch in October in Castlebar, dealing with issues like the need for investment in the west.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Well he's been saying that it has stabilised but he would be seen as the king-maker in any move against Cowen.

I believe there was something on the radio today about the Parliamentary Party having an urgent and very hush 3 day meeting in the Ardilaun Hotel in Galway.
    It may have been the Fianna Fail 'think-in'. Fine Gael seem to have had one earlier this week.

A national government? That would be news if the rumour was correct.

Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member antiestablishmentarian's Avatar
    Popular People's Front of Judea (bolshevik-leninist)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AFAIK its their annual summer think in: the Ardilaun is a nice quiet place for such a thing, well away from the city centre and with large grounds so any protestors would be out of earshot; there has been speculation in today's Sindo that the so-called Lenihan faction might make a bid to challenge Cowen's leadership of the party there.
    http://www.politicalworld.org/
    'Our goal is to conquer state power for the Irish working class' Pat Rabitte, 1987

Apart from Lenihan, who have they got to succeed the Biffoon?
    They might come back with around 50 seats if lenihan was their capi des toutes des capis, pardon my Eyetallion, if Lenihan waits, he will be Taoiseach in 2017 or thereabouts with a nice majority! Why, because his party have made such a living S of the country, the next government, a coalition of 2 identically opposite parties will not be able to fix it, ala the 1982-87 one!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post

Regards...jmcc
    I don't believe there will be any move against Cowen.
    Lenihan's health will not allow him to make a challenge and anybody else would be crazy to do so.
    Why would they lead the party into certain defeat?

The question as to who will lead the party post election, however, is an interesting one.
    The field could be narrowed quite cosiderably depending on how bad a defeat occurs.
    I would say the contest is still between Ahern and Martin.
    Ahern has more substance but does not have a strong support base in the party. For this reason I would suspect that Martin will make it.

Of course all of this would change if Lenihan were to make a recovery. In this scenario he would be a certainty.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm. Thanks for that - it would have been too much to hope for, the idea that they would look beyond party politics in the interests of the country.

So, back to topic. Yes, Lenihan as king maker, but not king. Will it be Dermot, Micheal or Mary?

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast