Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Father Mychal Judge RIP 9-11

Politics.ie Member ” Donnchadha's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Father Mychal Judge RIP 9-11

Father Mychal Judge was the first recorded death on 9-11 death 001

Father Mychal F. Judge, OFM, chaplain to the New York City Fire Department, died Tuesday, September 11, 2001 in a hail of falling debris near the World Trade Center. He became the first officially recorded fatality following the attack. Father Mychal was 68.

Born in Brooklyn, NY on May 11, 1933, Robert Emmett Judge was the son of two Irish immigrants from County Leitrim. As a young boy, he watched his father die after a long illness. To help his mother and two sisters make ends meet, he shined shoes in Manhattan, ran errands and did odd jobs, before being called to his Franciscan vocation at age 16. He then entered St. Josephís Seraphic Seminary, Callicoon, NY, and graduated in 1954 after completing the first two years of college.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Iconic photo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice profile here
    The Firemen's Friar

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    Nice profile here
    The Firemen's Friar

cYp
    A great tribute but I'm not sure about this part

"And yet this was precisely who Mychal Judge was: a devout, gay, recovering-alcoholic Catholic priest"

Fr Judge ministered to the gay community especially during the AID's epidemic in NYC during the 80's. He would comfort gay men dying of AID's. He was seen as the antithesis of Cardinal O'Connell hard line stance against Homosexuality and the gay community. After he died on 911, the gay community have been trying to claim him as one of their own and as a gay icon, much to the annoyance of many people who knew him as he was not gay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ne0ica View Post

"And yet this was precisely who Mychal Judge was: a devout, gay, recovering-alcoholic Catholic priest"

Fr Judge ministered to the gay community especially during the AID's epidemic in NYC during the 80's. He would comfort gay men dying of AID's. He was seen as the antithesis of Cardinal O'Connell hard line stance against Homosexuality and the gay community. After he died on 911, the gay community have been trying to claim him as one of their own and as a gay icon, much to the annoyance of many people who knew him as he was not gay.
    A bit of a highjack. He was celibate priest, and there has been no valid evidence otherwise. This has been rehashed.

I am not bad mouthing Gays, but the truth needs to be known. Yes he helped Gays, and well he should.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes he did minister to the Gay community, some theorize he was Gay. But he was a Catholic Priest, and he walked the walk.

You will see him in this video. He knew things were bad, he was praying, and then building went.

I get so emotional, I flew out of Boston that morning, I was in the air went it went down. They landed me in Texas, I stayed there for a week.

You tube is acting up, but you will see him in this vid, prior to the Towers collapsing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bZNmuICnuw]YouTube - 911stealth KillinDeath of Chaplain Mychal Judge World Trade Center[/ame]

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ne0ica View Post

According to his biographer, Michael Daly, his journal entries say otherwise. He was of course celibate, but he admits to having a gay orientation, and seeing such as part of God's plan.

john moriarty

Either way, it remains one
    of my most remembered shots
    from 9 years ago. The poor
    buggers jumping from the
    top stories being the foremost,
    obviously.

How the man's sexual orientation
    got into this is beyond me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Judge told quite a number of people, quite a few of them heterosexual, and including close family members, about his sexuality a number of years before his death. If it was just members of the gay community stating it, then there might be some justification for saying they were 'claiming him as one of their own'. But it includes family members, heterosexual friends, people in AA, and a number of priests all of whom have no reason to say something that was not true and nothing to gain by saying it. When someone as senior as the New York City Fire Commissioner Thomas Von Essen, who was a personal friend of Judge's, says Judge told him he was gay, it is pretty much certain he was.
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are loads of priests who are gay-oriented, many remain chaste, some don't. Not a big deal...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast