Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Sinn Féin Accepted Partition?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Has Sinn Féin Accepted Partition?

I notice in a statement released by Sinn Féin today in reference to Fianna Fáil's record on job creation, they use some interesting language:

“Sinn Féin’s position is that this Government has to go. Forcing it to go, making it hold overdue by-elections and putting forward an alternative budget will be our priorities in this state over the coming months.

Fianna Fáil 'to prioritise job creation' as Adams blasts record in govt | BreakingNews.ie
    It seems Sinn Féin now regards the Republic as a different state to the North...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Of course they have accepted partition. This is why the stereotype of a Sinn Féiner includes phrases like "Free State government". They don't agree with partition, that's all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Dubcitizen why don't you read this. Then you won't appear so ignorant. Department of Foreign Affairs - The Good Friday Agreement
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not being ignorant, I'm well aware of the GFA, but thanks for the condescending reply.

My point is up to now SF have always made a point of never referring to the Republic and the North as different, always using "Ireland" or "this island", referring to the island as a whole, whether they were talking about Belfast, Dublin or the backend of Fermanagh. Here they are specifically referring to the Republic as a different state to the North, something I haven't seen in a SF statement before. A small thing, but significant nonetheless because it shows Irish Unity really has been dropped off the SF agenda.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Might have been better worded as

It seems Sinn Féin now freely acknowledges the Republic as a different state to the North...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The important part is, this government has to go, that will satisfy most of us.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And when it does, it won't be Sinn Féin that replaces them. In fact Sinn Féin won't even increase it's vote at the next election. They've abandoned their Republican values, and they've abandoned the Southern electorate.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think you are trying to read too much into this Dublin Citizen.

After all they can hardly force Brian Cowen to hold by-elections in Belfast or have him accept an alternative budget for welfare spending in places like Newry, et al.
    I am Kilrain of the 20th Maine and I damn all gentlemen
    Whose only worth is their father's name and the sweat of a workin' man

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dublincitizen View Post
    I'm not being ignorant, I'm well aware of the GFA, but thanks for the condescending reply.

My point is up to now SF have always made a point of never referring to the Republic and the North as different, always using "Ireland" or "this island", referring to the island as a whole, whether they were talking about Belfast, Dublin or the backend of Fermanagh. Here they are specifically referring to the Republic as a different state to the North, something I haven't seen in a SF statement before. A small thing, but significant nonetheless because it shows Irish Unity really has been dropped off the SF agenda.
    So you're aware that SF publicly backed and campaigned for a piece of legislation that recognised the current situation of 2 states, yet you think it's "significant" because, 12 years later, Gerry Adams refers to 2 states in a speech on jobs. Yeah this needed a thread.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    So you're aware that SF publicly backed and campaigned for a piece of legislation that recognised the current situation of 2 states, yet you think it's "significant" because, 12 years later, Gerry Adams refers to 2 states in a speech on jobs. Yeah this needed a thread.
    That's a bit unfair Sync.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast