Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A child died every three weeks at the Bethany Home in Dublin

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A child died every three weeks at the Bethany Home in Dublin

Researcher Niall Meehan has found evidence that child inmates of the Bethany Home in Dublin died at the rate of one every three weeks in the period from 1935 to 1940.

Given the relatively small number of inmates this seems a horrifying death rate. RTÉ News: Death every 3 weeks at Bethany Home - research

The story is also headline news in today's Irish Daily Mail.

Apparently the state refused to send Catholic children to the institution because of concerns of neglect following a complaint but allowed the home to continue to take Protestant children.

Survivors are demanding compensation under the state's redress scheme for survivors of institutional abuse.

birthday

Funny how little outrage there has been over this-must be something to do with the fact that the RC church were not involved.

Why are the survivors being excluded from RRB?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by birthday View Post

The State is claiming that children were put in the home in a voluntary capacity(presumably not put there by the courts). However Niall Meehan has found evidence that in 1945 the state did designate the home as a place of detention for female Protestant young persons and children.

The Irish Daily Mail reports that children in the home suffered from marasmus, which is a polite word for starvation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Funny how little outrage there has been over this-must be something to do with the fact that the RC church were not involved.

I'm outraged, it matters not whether the place was run by the CC or some other Protestant denomination, children starved and children died and all the while the state stood back and allowed it to happen. Again. And again and again.

Then, to add insult to injury, they deny compensation? As far as I am concerned, if they allowed an organisation to 'look after' children and that organisation failed them, the state is as culpable.

But then, considering that vulnerable children have never, ever been an issue for successive governments right up todays, its little wonder really.....
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Just wondering how the death rate compared to that of the general population - especially among the poor of which there were a lot at the time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just read that Article in the latest edition of History Ireland

I'm not saying these things didn't happen but its a very one sided look at what was going on I'd say.

Given the controversies surrounding the Goldenbridge Orphanage some years ago it emerged that different inmates remembered their stay their in different ways

- for some it was a nightmare

- for others a refuge (of sorts).

219 deaths in the Bethany Home between 1922-1949 (of which 19 were stillborns) - but how many passed through its doors in that time and what was the average infant mortality in the social classes from which these unfortunates came?

I read story yesterday and pretty much knew it was a P.ie story as it didn't have RC in it so then anti Catholic brigade on this site would say nothing.

Kinda like the Prod bishop in Germany and other abuse cases when they hide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe View Post
    I read story yesterday and pretty much knew it was a P.ie story as it didn't have RC in it so then anti Catholic brigade on this site would say nothing.

Kinda like the Prod bishop in Germany and other abuse cases when they hide.

Maybe it's because we haven't had the RC nuts on telling is how it's all lies.

The truth is the state turned a blind eye to the plight of children in care.

Nothing has changed just HSE now sits between "service providers" and state.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa View Post
    219 deaths in the Bethany Home between 1922-1949 (of which 19 were stillborns) - but how many passed through its doors in that time and what was the average infant mortality in the social classes from which these unfortunates came?

The RTE news report last night mentioned that the average number of inmates in the home at any one time was quite small. This suggests that the death rate was indeed out of the ordinary.

No link for that, RTE player isn't working for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm glad to see this being discussed on the main forum.

Previous discussion was in the Chat section:

http://www.politics.ie/chat/81742-pr...ml#post2989233

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast