Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nurses Fight Back!

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Nurses Fight Back!

An anti-health cuts website set up by the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organistion is attracting huge online traffic from beleaguered health care workers who are campaigning to keep their jobs and make the health system work.[B]

www.stophealthcuts.ie is full of scary information regarding the effects the health cuts thus far is having on us, the people, as well as the loss of jobs for nurses, junior doctors, midwives and all those actually involved in treating people as opposed to creating paperwork. I see another 19 beds have gone from the Male Surgical Ward in Mayo General Hospital this week, thus bringing a total closure of 1,300 hospital beds nationwide to date.

The Nurses, as well as an open letter to the Minister for Health (excuse me while I choke) also write of the heart breaking experiences they witness everyday of the year due to cut backs. There is also a very scary bit on the new Fair Deal Scheme regarding nursing homes for the elderly and the rip off going on there not to mention the huge delays in processing applications for those waiting for accommodation in nursing homes.

I wish I could link yiz in to this website but you all know what I'm like regarding technology. I'm still trying to figure out where all these shagging emails I keep getting from weird people are coming from and everytime I try to bin them they hop back on again. Strange. Anyway, look at the website when you have a chance but take the blood pressure tablets first.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 10th September 2010 at 11:40 PM.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe it is finally happening Lazurus, and people are going beyond the normal routes for communicating anger and using new technology to connect with people.,

For the past decade every time the nurses tried to organise a fightback against what was going on in the health services, they were lead by the nose by their unions and into discussions which ran up a cul de sac

This gives people outside the profession a chance to see what is really happening
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for posting this Laz!

Not a big fan of the INMO..but thats another story..this link on their page however tells it the way it is...!!
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cannot say I am a fan of them either, they shaft their fellow nurses in the emergency departments all the time.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have to say I am a bit ambivalent about nurses.

Have you EVER seen a nurse running to look after a patient? Trundle, trundle with the drugs trolley, the bp monitor, the temp thing, around and around, and at a leisurely pace too.

Have you ever seen the nurses crowded around the desk and when you ask for info, they blink as if you have asked them to explain qauntum physics.

Have you ever seen fully qualified nurses handing files to the consultant from a trolley in the opd. and that is it. 10 to 5. What the F? easy gig. I could do that and I don't know my Augmentin from my Ativan.

Sorry but I have experience of this over many years.

I do have time for the A+E staff, and for the clinical staff in theatres etc. and those actually working in opd and places like warfarin clinics (hell on wheels).

But in the general wards. Sorry, no. Not in my experience anyway. No doubt there are some who are great, but the general impression for me, is less is more. Sorry, I know I will get a blast for what I have just said, but I have seen it over the last ten years with relatives in hospital.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Glad to see the nurses are finally fighting back.

Lucky for the sick and elderly that they are not as ruthless as the bankers and have ethics and a conscience

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post

Have you EVER seen a nurse running to look after a patient? Trundle, trundle with the drugs trolley, the bp monitor, the temp thing, around and around, and at a leisurely pace too.

Have you ever seen the nurses crowded around the desk and when you ask for info, they blink as if you have asked them to explain qauntum physics.

Have you ever seen fully qualified nurses handing files to the consultant from a trolley in the opd. and that is it. 10 to 5. What the F? easy gig. I could do that and I don't know my Augmentin from my Ativan.

I do have time for the A+E staff, and for the clinical staff in theatres etc. and those actually working in opd and places like warfarin clinics (hell on wheels).

But in the general wards. Sorry, no. Not in my experience anyway. No doubt there are some who are great, but the general impression for me, is less is more. Sorry, I know I will get a blast for what I have just said, but I have seen it over the last ten years with relatives in hospital.
    i have friends from the north that are nurses and they've been telling me for years that they'd love to get their hands on a post in the south because of the enhanced wages their counterparts receive.

Im not saying they are overpayed but surely there should be scope to take a bit from them, pay off some debt with it and maybe use some of the leftover money to employ an extra nurse or two as they're always saying that they're understaffed.

That would mean, more nurses, better public services, less debt and nurses with wages probably still higher than their uk counterparts!

Whats wrong with this!

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    i have friends from the north that are nurses and they've been telling me for years that they'd love to get their hands on a post in the south because of the enhanced wages their counterparts receive.

Im not saying they are overpayed but surely there should be scope to take a bit from them, pay off some debt with it and maybe use some of the leftover money to employ an extra nurse or two as they're always saying that they're understaffed.

That would mean, more nurses, better public services, less debt and nurses with wages probably still higher than their uk counterparts!

Whats wrong with this!
    That is not the trade union way my friend. They dont really care about overall service provision and performance and overall wellbeing of country. they only care about pay and conditions of EXISTING members. Extortionists that use sacred cows like the nurses to muddy the waters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post

Tell us then what you are engaged in to earn your living. Do you run around feverishly, sweating like a pig from the massive energy you produce? Are you an absolute delight for your employer?

It's funny how everybody knows the other person's job better than their own. Maybe the nurses have to observe laid down procedures. Maybe they look after more than the unique whinger who can't read the number on the door.

Do tell us from what platform you are qualified to harp on nurses from. Oh, don't forget that lady who sits behing the desk on the way in. She's called a r.e.c.e.p.t.i.o.n.i.s.t. She can answer a lot of questions you may have to ask. The hospital pay her to do this. She may get bored if nobody asks her questions.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast