Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FG & Labour must rule out coalition.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default FG & Labour must rule out coalition.

I have been posting on this all summer on other peoples threads but it is something I genuinely believe. FG and Labour must rule out coalition with anyone. They must grasp the oppurtunity to consign FF to history. There must be hundreds of threads castigating this government here and yet the only alternative that spoken about is a FG/Lab coalition. This is giving the electorate the easy option. "We'll put FG/Lab in they'll sort out the mess, it'll hurt but that's fine it gives us the excuse to push them out when the mess is cleaned up".

The time for this must be over. FG/Lab are not suitable bedfellows but whether its power hunger or national interest they seem to end up together more often than is healthy. The differences between them after the next election would cause so much friction in a government as to make the proposition untenable. They both have radically differing views on how the economy and public services should be managed and any attempt to shoehorn them together will be a disaster.

They need to honestly set out their stalls, starting shortly, aimed squarely at their own base support with no soft soaping of their more extreme tendencies to the right or left. And then they need to declare no coalition. Tell the electorate that they can either destroy FF or have them back in power its their choice. There will never be a better oppurtunity. The only possible crossover that they might agree is in relation to electoral reform. The clientelism that has made Irish politics so dysfunctional and given FF so much power needs to be removed as a political tool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What the hell are you talking about? Neither party will achieve an overall majority, all that will happen is we will reach a stalemate. In a PR STV system coalitions are nearly inevitable in modern times.
    Economic Left/Right: -9.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.62

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommythecommy View Post
    I know Tommy

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by just4ever View Post
    What the hell are you talking about? Neither party will achieve an overall majority, all that will happen is we will reach a stalemate. In a PR STV system coalitions are nearly inevitable in modern times.
    J4E, I have the same affiliations as you, but he is right. They have to be killed off. If we are better than FF, and we are, then we are capable of putting the country first. The good of the country dictates that FF must be wiped out forever.

The story should be, and I have posted this elsewhere also -
    There is no way in the world that FF will win the election. The only thing to be decided is whether the Taoiseach will be from FG or Labour. Thats it. Thats the choice.
    This has not been grasped yet by the people, and its not being articulated in the media. But its the truth.
    In reality, already, the contest is between FG and Lab. Its just that its not clear to the voters. We must make it clear. When we do, a further lump of the remaining FF vote will jump ship, to prevent their least favourite party winning. It barely matters which side they choose. We can end up with FF at sub 30 seats. FG with 60ish. Lab near 60, and SF with half of whats left .
    SF will vote Gilmore. Then FF have to chose - who do they support, in the national interest. "come on FF, its up to ye. You must support one side or the other. Are you really going to cause a hung Dail, and another election. It will be seen to be your fault if there is a further election" If they chose a side, they are supporting either FG or Lab, and they are dead for ever. If they cause another unnecessary election, and the people know it, they are dead too.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deiseguy View Post
    I have been posting on this all summer on other peoples threads but it is something I genuinely believe. FG and Labour must rule out coalition with anyone.
    Which goes to prove that even genuinely held beliefs can be ridiculous.

its obvious that its gonna be a FG labour coalition nothing else its almost certain . FG and Labour will have a massive majority of over 100 seats they are gonna be in for at least 10 years get used to it.
    "Ich bin ein Berliner- I am a jelly donut-JFK"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redger View Post
    J4E, I have the same affiliations as you, but he is right. They have to be killed off. If we are better than FF, and we are, then we are capable of putting the country first. The good of the country dictates that FF must be wiped out forever.

The story should be, and I have posted this elsewhere also -
    There is no way in the world that FF will win the election. The only thing to be decided is whether the Taoiseach will be from FG or Labour. Thats it. Thats the choice.
    This has not been grasped yet by the people, and its not being articulated in the media. But its the truth.
    In reality, already, the contest is between FG and Lab. Its just that its not clear to the voters. We must make it clear. When we do, a further lump of the remaining FF vote will jump ship, to prevent their least favourite party winning. It barely matters which side they choose. We can end up with FF at sub 30 seats. FG with 60ish. Lab near 60, and SF with half of whats left .
    SF will vote Gilmore. Then FF have to chose - who do they support, in the national interest. "come on FF, its up to ye. You must support one side or the other. Are you really going to cause a hung Dail, and another election. It will be seen to be your fault if there is a further election" If they chose a side, they are supporting either FG or Lab, and they are dead for ever. If they cause another unnecessary election, and the people know it, they are dead too.
    That is a possible outcome if the parties ran with the suggestion in the OP. Labour especially speak about their leader as having real potential as taoiseach its time for them to put their money where their mouth is and demand the mandate to install their man as taoiseach. Any other course of action from FG and Lab smacks of a lack of ambition in the current circumstances. Any other course of action will leave them always fighting over second and third in the long run. Now they have a real oppurtunity to end FF but they can only achieve it by working together to achieve completely opposite goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So which of the two parties should go into coalition with FF then?
    It's highly unlikely that either of them could form a government any other way.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What a stupid idea.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast