Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardaí to probe false invoices at state-aided firm...

Politics.ie Member MsAnneThrope's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gardaí to probe false invoices at state-aided firm...

GARDAI have been called in to investigate allegations about a development company that has received €4m in state assistance. Officers have been forwarded a file by funding body Pobal outlining how up to €60,000 in taxpayers' money was claimed by Tipperary Hostel Ltd using false invoices.

The company's treasurer, former Fianna Fail councillor Michael Maguire, is employed as a driver for Martin Mansergh, the Minister of State responsible for the Office of Public Works.
    Earlier this year, the company's auditors found almost €45,000 in Pobal funds were drawn down based on invoices for work that wasn't done. It is understood further investigations saw the figure involved increase to between €50,000 and €60,000. Mr Maguire accepted there had been "huge irregularities" and that funding money had been "spent unwisely".
    Here's the bit that struck me most:

Pobal is likely to seek the repayment of "ineligible expenditure" should Tipperary Hostel Ltd secure more funding elsewhere in the future.
    Am I correct in interpreting that to mean that if a State body provides future funding to Tipperary Hostel Ltd then a different State body (Pobal) can be repaid money for "ineligible expenditure"? Will that be the end of it? "We're all quits now lads, fancy a pint?"

It wouldn't surprise me in Ireland. If there is wrongdoing here it's high time the authorities showed some proper teeth, or it will just continue ad nauseum. Photo of Maguire from the Irish Independent:

.........'Michael Maguire: treasurer'

Irish Independent: Gardai to probe false invoices worth €60,000 at state-aided firm
    We all love animals. Why do we call some 'pets' and others 'dinner'?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It was reported last March that the same company was found by its auditors to be also allegedly overclaiming for VAT refunds:

The auditors, Mulcahy, O'Neill, Fitzgerald & Co, said €44,239 had been incorrectly claimed.

The letter said a claim form used to draw down the funds from Pobal referred to a number of invoices from suppliers which were supposed to have been paid by cheque.

However, the auditors found the corresponding cheques were never sent to the suppliers. [...]

The auditors also found the company had overclaimed for VAT refunds by €6,298. They said these concerns needed to be urgently investigated and that Revenue and Pobal needed to be informed.
    When you hear that even Fás is investigating these boys you just have to love this little country
    Last edited by MsAnneThrope; 10th September 2010 at 10:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone down Tipp way got an update on this story in the local media there?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs down

Add it to the list. Investigation to be completed in 2018.

The Public Accounts Committee is to investigate a controversial re-development project in Co Tipperary, which was mainly funded by FÁS, and is still unfinished a decade later and after costing taxpayers more than €4m.
    Unfinished FÁS project cost taxpayers
    During down time on the hostel project FÁS trainees were assigned to work on at least 40 other community projects including painting Rockwell Rovers GAA Club.
    Work was carried out not only on community projects, 20 Tipperary residents had their houses refurbished.
    this is the primetime piece on this

Prime Time - RTÉ Player

the local authorities are saying nathing and fas is saying nothing

who was picking out these projects?

they interviewed a local councillor but he said it was fas who picked where these men worked if it wasn't the hostel

the fas guy named liam o'brien seems to able to corral many fas workers to do menial labour when he wanted http://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/loc...ager-1-2263857

although the employment appeals tribunal has ruled the hostel workers were employed by the hostel company http://www.nationalist.ie/news/busin...ents-1-3250225
    Last edited by lostexpectation; 10th December 2013 at 04:20 AM.
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica View Post
    Add it to the list. Investigation to be completed in 2018.
    That 2018 prediction in 2010 was bit on the optimistic side it seems.

As I commented on another thread tonight , there is a beauty of a line from one of the main people involved in this debacle at the end of the prime time program tonight , as usual when it comes to state money and the managing of it he did not seem a bit concerned by the waste of millions and absolutely nothing to show for it only a lot of dodgy book keeping and a half painted room that looked like there was 100 euro at most spent on it

And then to top it off he comes out with the line if they give us another 1.5 million or so we would have a good stab at finishing it. And he expects to get that money , and been Ireland he probably will , sure after all when it comes to public waste their is an endless supply it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Betson View Post
    That 2018 prediction in 2010 was bit on the optimistic side it seems.

As I commented on another thread tonight , there is a beauty of a line from one of the main people involved in this debacle at the end of the prime time program tonight , as usual when it comes to state money and the managing of it he did not seem a bit concerned by the waste of millions and absolutely nothing to show for it only a lot of dodgy book keeping and a half painted room that looked like there was 100 euro at most spent on it

And then to top it off he comes out with the line if they give us another 1.5 million or so we would have a good stab at finishing it. And he expects to get that money , and been Ireland he probably will , sure after all when it comes to public waste their is an endless supply it seems.
    the Hostel Action committee are on the case Extra gardai assigned to Tipperary Hostel finances probe - The Nationalist
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How can the Guards probe these false invoice payments , aren't they too busy probing false invoices payments made by Guards at the airport.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MsAnneThrope View Post
    Anyone down Tipp way got an update on this story in the local media there?
    are ya havin a larf?

Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The entire story of FAS is one of shiftyness and misappropriation of taxpayers money
    Repeal the thirty-fourth amendment of the Irish constitution :
    Children have a basic right to be reared by a mother and a father.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast