Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: LUAS ties to Israeli settlements

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default LUAS ties to Israeli settlements

On May 10th the elected members of Dublin City Council took the courageous step of calling on the City Manager (John Tierney) not to renew or sign contracts with Veolia. In 2008 the 'Council' (actually the City Manager not the elected councillors) extended the existing LUAS contract to 2014. It is imperative that Transdev's (with which Veolia is to merge) tender for the Metro-North service be denied and the LUAS contract not be renewed in 2014, given Veolia's collaboration with the Israeli Occupation through the construction and maintenance of transport networks and landfill in East Jerusalem and the West Bank. Write to City Manager John Tierney, the Dept of Transport and the Rail Procurement Agency to make your views against awarding the Metro North contract to Veolia and the renewal of its LUAS contract. The situation is all the more pressing given Veolia's impending merger with Transdev, which is one of the final 2 tenderers for the Metro North contract.

Veolia's links to the illegal-settlements are as follows:

Jerusalem Light rail

In 2003, Veolia won a $500 million contract to build and maintain a light railway that will run across the city of Jerusalem, including occupied East Jerusalem and the illegal settlement in the West Bank. The light railway project violates international law, not only because it is built on occupied Palestinian land, but also because it is an extension of Israel's illegal settlement enterprise and the Apartheid Wall. Through its subsidiary Connex, in Israel, it is one of the companies in the CityPass consortium, contracted to operate the light rail project in Jerusalem. The project plays a key role in sustaining the illegal settlements and ensuring they became a permanent fixture upon Palestinian land, while at the same time maintaining a system of Apartheid that isolates Palestinians and limits their mobility.

Tovlan Landfill in occupied West bank

Through its subsidiary Veolia Environmental Services, it also owns and operates the Tovlan Landfill in the occupied
    Jordan Valley, using captured Palestinian land and resources for the needs of the illegal Israeli settlements.

Bus services to the illegal settlements

Veolia's subsidiary, Connex, also operates regular bus services to Israeli settlements in the West Bank, including Beit Horon and Givat Ze'ev along road 443, which is an apartheid road. Palestinians are not allowed to travel on these buses or on these roads in their own occupied country.
    Last edited by FutureTaoiseach; 10th September 2010 at 10:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think I'd rather the metro ran smoothly without more fecking about.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

PPP is scam. The public end up lining the pockets of some crowd one way or another just to get by and forever. You only have to see how Ahern is being rewarded with big numbers with which to come in and plunder the public sector again - e.g. Collite lands - after his spell as chief enabler. All in the "National interest" of course
    Last edited by motorheed; 10th September 2010 at 02:29 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I've heard GlaxoSmithKline sell insulin to Israel as well, some of which is used in the settlements. I vote we stop using insulin.

Every time I think we've reached the bottom of the barrel with some posters they find a way a to drizzle further down.

Seeing as how this apparently took place in May, seeing as how there's no source offered which details this "courageous step" and looking at the past history of the OPer, I'd be inclined to think this is all make believe until I see something corroborating it.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

What a ridiculous thread. A company is building/operationg (which is it? do you have a source) a light rail in Israel, and the same company is doing the same here. So effing what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    What a ridiculous thread. A company is building/operationg (which is it? do you have a source) a light rail in Israel, and the same company is doing the same here. So effing what?
    It isn't in Israel its in the settlements in Occupied West Bank and the Occupied East Jerusalem. They are making the settlements economically-viable and this company has been caught out in other countries for the exact same reason. The Irish people should refuse to do business with companies that are collaborating with Israel's illegal Occupation of the West Bank by doing business in the settlements.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach View Post
    It isn't in Israel its in the settlements in Occupied West Bank and the Occupied East Jerusalem.
    So it's a bit like the British building a light rail in Northern Ireland is what you are saying? As an irish nationalist I'd be quite happy if the British were that generous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    So it's a bit like the British building a light rail in Northern Ireland is what you are saying? As an irish nationalist I'd be quite happy if the British were that generous.
    Wrong because unlike NI, the West Bank and East Jerusalem are illegally Occupied under UNSC Resolutions such as 242. A campaign of Boycott, Disinvestment and Sanctions are part and parcel of ending the Occupation of the Palestinians and I make no apologies for supporting that. Economic exploitation of a territory has always been part and parcel of imperialism. The Irish taxpayer is entitled to know where his/her money is going, and do not want to bankroll an illegal Occupation and an Apartheid State.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Boycott the Luas now!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Where's your link to the council calling for the cancellation of the contract due to their ties to Israel FT? Sher just stick it up here so we can all have a look.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast