Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Plan to build memorial to Bomber Command.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Plan to build memorial to Bomber Command.

The mayor of Dresden, Helma Orosz, has critisised the proposal to build a memorial in London's Green Park. On a visit to London to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the blitz- she said the proposed monument would not be "part of the culture of reconciliation". In Dresden, City officials fear the Far right, which marches every year to condemn the Allied attacks are poised to milk this for their own uses. London mayor Boris Johnson, however, said it was right to build the monument. It honours the bravery of British bomber crews. More than 55,000 Allied airmen lost their lives in the campaign. Dresden was heavily bombed on the night of 13th February. Estimates say 20,000 died in the fire.
    This is a tricky topic- personally there is already a monument to Arthur "Bomber" Harris in the city of London.
    Germans feel that they are still being punished for the sins of the Hitler regime. What's the solution?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let the Brits build a memorial to their war dead just as long as they do not complain if the Germans build a memorial to the Luftwaffe in Berlin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Brits are sick, absoulutely sick. Britain has been called the cancer of humanity and nothing better could describe that perevted country.

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlabMurphy View Post
    The Brits are sick, absoulutely sick. Britain has been called the cancer of humanity
    and nothing better could describe that perevted country.
    By whom ? If you think that the Nazi rampage through Europe would have ended up with some kind of united Ireland you're deluded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldira1 View Post
    Let the Brits build a memorial to their war dead just as long as they do not complain if the Germans build a memorial to the Luftwaffe in Berlin.
    I like that.........
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would prefer a monument to the aircrews over one to Harris, and I expect he would have agreed.

What the Germans do is their business.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default We should build a memorial to the Irishmen who served in the RAF in Dublin

We should build a memorial to the Irishmen who served in the RAF in Dublin. We should also honour the Few. Their service in winning the Battle of Britain saved us from German invasion, and determined the course of WW2 and preserved democracy in Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The problems of Germanys Far Right being on the march in Dresden or anywhere else are Gremanys problems. In the war Germany gambled (against the advice of some of its greatest generals) and Germany lost, Jap[an likewise - they should get over that. Britain should never have been selective about which soldiers it chose to honour and which it would not, it was total war from the outset.

What is interesting, yet again, is that the deeply held views of the European Far Right are syncing almost prefectly with the Far Left. While the German and European far right were on the knees post war, the opinions they now hold dear and rally around on Bomber Harris, Horishima and Britain were being developed and kept warm by the Far Left.

There is no direct idiological link between the European Far Right and the US Far Right, but the bridging link between them has been and remains the European Far Left. On this issue it can be seen that the European far right and left are in sync. And for years the militiamen type far right movement in the US have been plying a nice trade in selling their books and peddling their opinion on US anti-federalism to a thirsty and accepting European Far Left. If only they had something else in commonm like hating Jews... oh wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    I would prefer a monument to the aircrews over one to Harris, and I expect he would have agreed.

So if the Germans buildt one to the Luftwaffe who bombed Britain, would that be ok with you and the Brits ? Screaming at the outrage and injustice of it is more likely

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post

Yup. It's regrettable that the Germans can't look back at the wars without acknowledging that many of their young men fought and died bravely for their country as opposed to any Nazi ideals. That doesn't mean the other countries involved in the war shouldn't be able to recognise those who served.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast