Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: McGuinness met Claudy priest

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default McGuinness met Claudy priest

Well, he's back from his holidays ....

McGuinness met Claudy priest

Interesting request - out of the blue he's asked to meet the Dying Chesney - but of course they never discussed Claudy.....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

It's not helpful just to say:
    “I was asked, whenever I was told that Father Chesney was dying, I was told he was a republican sympathiser, would I go and see him and meet with him in Co Donegal.
    and try to leave it at that. The allegation is that Chesney was a Director of Operations. As an IRA leader, McGuinness would have known of him if he was.

So McGuinness is in a position to say "Yes he was a director of operations in my time with the IRA" or say "No he wasn't a director of operations". To cop out and simply say "He was a sympathiser" is stupid. You're better off keeping your mouth shut than saying that. It's the mealy-mouthed rubbish that SF had been doing so well to move away from.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe Chesney gave McGuinness absolution for all his sins !

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    It's not helpful just to say: and try to leave it at that. The allegation is that Chesney was a Director of Operations. As an IRA leader, McGuinness would have known of him if he was.

So McGuinness is in a position to say "Yes he was a director of operations in my time with the IRA" or say "No he wasn't a director of operations". To cop out and simply say "He was a sympathiser" is stupid. You're better off keeping your mouth shut than saying that.
    I'm assuming that there is evidence that McGuinness met Chesney - so he had to make some response.

Certainly would have expected more detailed comment from him about the Ombudsman's report.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I would think so. McGuinness rarely lies from what I've seen. He obfuscates quite a bit, but I've been impressed by how up front he's been in recent years, and I genuinely think he's been someone that has improved the situation in the North since the GFA.

He can actually help offer closure to the families, or at least further information. If he stood up and said "I was a leader of the IRA in 1972, and I can tell you for a fact Chesney was/wasn't an operational leader of the IRA" I'd probably believe him. I think he's got a duty to do so.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I'd imagine he'd either hide behind the Code of Honour or else there would be a spot of the old Mental Reservation rather than outright lies.

I'd have to agree with you regarding his contribution post GFA.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Well, he's back from his holidays ....

McGuinness met Claudy priest

Interesting request - out of the blue he's asked to meet the Dying Chesney - but of course they never discussed Claudy.....
    And out of the blue he agrees to go. Seemed like a pathetic response from McGuinness. He basically said he didn't know the chap but he asked to see him, so he travelled to Donegal to see him. I reckon if I rang up Martin and asked him to visit me tomorrow he wouldn't turn up. Plenty more to this story.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Talk about McG honesty here if off the mark. Did he not only come out in view of the Saville enquiry. Otherwise it would be the Gerry mantra " I know nutting"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post
    And out of the blue he agrees to go. Seemed like a pathetic response from McGuinness. He basically said he didn't know the chap but he asked to see him, so he travelled to Donegal to see him. I reckon if I rang up Martin and asked him to visit me tomorrow he wouldn't turn up. Plenty more to this story.
    And remember - this happened in 1980 when MMG wasn't exactly kosher.
    Last edited by Cruimh; 8th September 2010 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    I'm assuming that there is evidence that McGuinness met Chesney - so he had to make some response.

Certainly would have expected more detailed comment from him about the Ombudsman's report.
    Indeed, appears there was a smoking gun (pun intended) linking the two IRA commanders.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast