Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Report issued last week by Denis Brosnan and the Local Government Committee

Default Report issued last week by Denis Brosnan and the Local Government Committee

Quote Originally Posted by arctic fox View Post

It seems that I can't start a new topic in this forum until I have at least 100 posts. Is that correct?

I wanted to start one regarding the Local Gorvernment Committee report that was issued last week. If somebody wants to go and start one for me, that would be great. Or else, if a moderator can adjust my priveleges so that I can start it myself. Many thanks.
    can i re-iterate this. If somebody could start a thread on the report issued last week by Denis Brosnan and the Local Government Committee, I would appreiate it. I can't do so as I have not got 100 forum posts (a ridiulous rule). This is perhaps the biggest issue to face the Mid-West region since Ireland gained it's independene and I'm surprised it is not already being disussed here. Thanks.
    Oh, go on then!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks Dotski!

Firstly, here is the report http://limericklgc.ie/wp-content/upl...-Sept-2010.pdf

It's a pretty thorough assessment of the administrative mess that Limerick and the Mid-West finds itself in, and it offers a clear way out of that mess.

Most of the major problems that Limerick and the wider region has stem from the way it is managed, i.e. various areas are pulling against each other when really the region should be moving forward together. The recommendations of the report, if implemented, will have a drastic positive effect on the well-being of the people and businesses of Clare, Limerick and Tipperary.

Though they may not yet realise it, it is unfortunate for large towns such as Shannon and Nenagh that the report did not go further and call for their inclusion in the wider administrative area changes that the report recommends. But the remit of the report was limited for political reasons rather than practical ones, and so what is proposed is the amalgamation of Limerick City and County Councils, with the part of Limerick City which is currently under the administration of County Clare coming under the new combined authority.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whatever about the merging of Limerick City and County Councils as recommended by Brosnan, the portion about enlarging the Limerick City to include those parts of what are essentially Greater Limerick City such Castletroy, Raheen, Ballycummin, Dooradoyle, Ballysheedy, Rathuard and Castlemungret currently under the control of Limerick County Council along with Shannon Banks and Westbury under the auspices of Clare County Council at present should definitely be implemented.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Every report that has probably ever been issued about Limerick has raised this issue. Unfortunately while we have this parochial parish pump setup, no politician wants to or has tackled this.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
    Every report that has probably ever been issued about Limerick has raised this issue. Unfortunately while we have this parochial parish pump setup, no politician wants to or has tackled this.
    The one hope is that John Gormley, who is well aware of the issue, having grown up in Limerick, and who has no political base in Limerick may be able to push it through. While I am not a Green supporter, I think this particular issue can probably only be solved by a Green Minister for the Environment.

I would initially have been in favour of a straight-forward boundary extension. However, Brosnan articulates the downside of this. Basically, you'd get a smaller, weaker county Limerick authority, and still have unbalanced regional development along the new boundary. So, it could actually create a worse situation than we already have. By amalgamating the councils you get the wider Limerick area moving forward with one purpose.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Limerick Lad View Post
    Whatever about the merging of Limerick City and County Councils as recommended by Brosnan, the portion about enlarging the Limerick City to include those parts of what are essentially Greater Limerick City such Castletroy, Raheen, Ballycummin, Dooradoyle, Ballysheedy, Rathuard and Castlemungret currently under the control of Limerick County Council along with Shannon Banks and Westbury under the auspices of Clare County Council at present should definitely be implemented.

Brosnan's Report should be implemented in full and a truck n trailer driven through all the councils/councillors fifedoms, the joke has gone on too long, Brosnan further says the Region is dying slowly but surely and valuable resources need to be more focused and not duplicated.

There are too many idiot politicians down there just look at that dope, Kiely, who has past through as Mayor and certainly the cream does not float to the top if O'Dea is anything to go on, rather a rat like perjurer swims well in the Shannon, he will do wharever it takes to stop anyone rising even a fellow FF rat.

Brosnan has more brains than the lot of them put together and from his business career has a real feel for the Region and aint dependent on those dopes for his living.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The one hope is that John Gormley, who is well aware of the issue, having grown up in Limerick, and who has no political base in Limerick may be able to push it through. While I am not a Green supporter, I think this particular issue can probably only be solved by a Green Minister for the Environment.

I would initially have been in favour of a straight-forward boundary extension. However, Brosnan articulates the downside of this. Basically, you'd get a smaller, weaker county Limerick authority, and still have unbalanced regional development along the new boundary. So, it could actually create a worse situation than we already have. By amalgamating the councils you get the wider Limerick area moving forward with one purpose.
    Are there a similar plans to amalgamate the city and county councils of Galway and Waterford or has Limerick alone been singled out for this diminution of its city status.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Limerick Lad View Post
    Are there a similar plans to amalgamate the city and county councils of Galway and Waterford or has Limerick alone been singled out for this diminution of its city status.
    Limerick alone, for the moment. Limerick is a particularly special case, because it is an urban area that happens to be on the cusp of three counties. There are three local authorities administrating the urban area of Limerick and they are all pulling against each other for their individual interests rather than for the interests of the entire urban area or the wider region (which includes south-east Clare and North Tipperary). No other county, with the exception of perhaps Waterford is in this situation.

Most of Limerick's and the Mid-West's problems stem from this issue.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Limerick alone, for the moment. Limerick is a particularly special case, because it is an urban area that happens to be on the cusp of three counties. There are three local authorities administrating the urban area of Limerick and they are all pulling against each other for their individual interests rather than for the interests of the entire urban area or the wider region (which includes south-east Clare and North Tipperary). No other county, with the exception of perhaps Waterford is in this situation.

Most of Limerick's and the Mid-West's problems stem from this issue.
    Few if any of Limerick's and the Mid-West's problems stem from this issue but many of Limerick City Council's problems stem from been starved of income from commercial rates from the retail parks, shopping centres and industrial estates dotted around Limerick City's perimeters but not under their control.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast