Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland's Emigration Crisis

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ireland's Emigration Crisis

According to this report from July, Ireland has the highest emigration in Europe.

Ireland has highest emigration in EU - InsideIreland.ie

Figures from Eurostat have revealed that Ireland has the highest emigration rate in the EU.

The figures show that Irish emigration rate during 2009 was 9%. This was twice the rate of emigration levels of the next country, Lithuania, at 4.6%.

Other countries showing high levels of emigration included Cyprus, Latvia and Bulgaria.

Recent forecasts from the ESRI have warned that up to 120,000 will leave the country by the end of 2011 if employment levels do not improve.
    Why are we so accepting of emigration, especially as compared other countries? Sorting out the problem is tough enough with the political will, but there does not seem to be any will there at all. It just seems to be accepted that leaving is what Irish people do. Surely we've learned from the past that emigration is the ultimate evil that must be avoided at all costs? A sort of mark against which our success as a country should be assessed and measured, as opposed to nonsense like GDP?

More noise needs to be made about this. Here's a link to a long-running thread on the topic over on the property pin. The Emigration Thread. • thepropertypin.com

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's an acceptance of emigration in official Ireland because as a nation we are so willing to emigrate.

Its seen as a natural progression. Lose job - wait a few months to see if something turns up - if not emigrate. Its not seen as outrageous or unnatural.

we have Enigration at a time when many Eastern Europeans and Central Europeans are immigrating to Ireland , its a crazy situation which will lead to major Demographic change in Ireland IMHO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We can't come to grips with the Emigration Problem

- until we come to grips with the Immigration Problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"I'm leaving because Ireland can't/won't provide me a job." "Ireland has failed me so I'm off to a country which will provide one."

Familiar isn't it? I'm sick to death of this mindset.

What is this entity called "Ireland" that's expected to provide careers to us all?
    We are "Ireland". Jobs here can only be provided if Irish people are willing to stay, work hard and create the fvckers.

And it's the same in all our favourite emigration destinations too - the local jobs come from the vision and effort of local people. Yes, it's very hard, failure is common and conditions - the government of the day, the economic situation - aren't always helpful but that's what it takes.
    After this is done we show up and enjoy the benefits of their hard work and wonder why we don't have the same at home!
    Idiotic.
    The language of the conqueror in the mouth of the conquered is ever the language of the slave. - Tacitus

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's misleading because the statistical evidence thus far is that it is non-nationals who constitute most of it. That kind of reverse-migration will reduce strain on public-services and competition for available work. I would be concerned though if mass-emigration by Irish nationals were to resume. But despite the hype in the press, there is no statistical evidence of net-emigration by Irish nationals. If I didn't know better, I'd say that sections of the multiculturalist-elites are hyping Irish emigration so as to lessen the erosion of multiculturalism they fear emigration of foreign-nationals will bring.
    Last edited by FutureTaoiseach; 6th September 2010 at 10:09 PM.

Gadjodilo

Here's a timely article from last Friday's IT by Karlin Lillington. 18,400 Irish people emigrated last year. Oh, and 79,986 PPS numbers were given out

Time to rethink the way we view emigration - The Irish Times - Fri, Sep 03, 2010

Take the “Right to Work Campaign” [...] protesting that an “estimated” 70,000 young people have been forced to emigrate in the last year.

Where did this “estimate” come from? It seems to be little more than a scaremongering, made-up “statistic” [...]

There has been no formal statistical update from the Central Statistics Office since last September on emigration figures. At that time, the CSO said 65,100 people had emigrated in the previous 12 months up until April 2009. Given that we all know the 16 months following April 2009 have been particularly dire, one could expect to see emigration rising significantly. Still, that 70,000 figure of young people alone would really mean a phenomenal increase – more young people leaving than the total figure for approximately the previous year.

But it seems extremely unlikely that this number could be correct. Of those 65,100, Irish nationals made up less than a third: just 18,400 people. That’s right – the smallest number of people leaving the country were Irish nationals.

So it really stretches belief to accept that, a year later, 70,000 Irish nationals have left the country, much less 70,000 young Irish nationals as a subset of a larger emigration group.

Even if this were to be the case, though, as former UCD computer science academic (now at St Andrews University) Aaron Quigley pointed out on Twitter during the week, in roughly the same period 79,986 PPS numbers were given out.

“Not saying all 79,986 PPS number holders found work but some must. Are they getting jobs which young Irish are unwilling or unqualified for?” he tweeted.

Politics.ie Member gombeennation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whofearstospeak? View Post
    we have Enigration at a time when many Eastern Europeans and Central Europeans are immigrating to Ireland , its a crazy situation which will lead to major Demographic change in Ireland IMHO
    good , hopefully it will breed the stupidity out of us.
    it might take 30 - 40 years but it will be worth it.
    a bit of euro blood over here would do us the world of good.
    we might get a shot at a boom in say 30 years - i for one would be hoping that the next time we wont be 90% gombeens like this time around.

i would like the country to retain some of its wealth - this is impossible with paddy being the major demographic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is th way FF have of calming things when they are rumbled. Create an economic cluster************************, allow ther smartest and the brightest to leave, and reap the benefit from the idiots left behind. The remnants shall be similiar to

1. John Mills' character from "Ryans Daughter"

2. The guy who played the banjo in "Deliverance" or

3. Barry Fitzgerald's character in "The Quiet Man".

The average FF voter has shrivelled down to "2".
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gombeennation View Post
    good , hopefully it will breed the stupidity out of us.
    it might take 30 - 40 years but it will be worth it.
    a bit of euro blood over here would do us the world of good.
    we might get a shot at a boom in say 30 years - i for one would be hoping that the next time we wont be 90% gombeens like this time around.
    Well it didn't after Enlargement as the CSO says the economy has reduced to its 2002 size so that puts paid to that theory.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast