Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 69 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Public demonstration against Bertie Ahern in Cashel, October 7th

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Public demonstration against Bertie Ahern in Cashel, October 7th

I would like to bring it to the attention of the board, and hopefully people here can make this more widely known (though I will also be contacting local and national media prior to the event), that I have decided to organise a public protest in Cashel on the 7th of October against the invite extended to Bertie Ahern to come and speak in Cashel.

I became aware of this two weeks ago, and have already posted a statement which I circulated in the local media on this site about the matter, at which time I said I was considering organising such a protest. I realise that organising any kind of protest in this country is fraught with all kinds of problems, and was a little wary to be honest.

However, since the statement was circulated, I have received many many messages of support from people, most notably businesspeople and others who live in the town, who in no way support this visit or invite, and who are looking for a proper means of showing their disgust at the decision.

People here, like all over the country are saying in private, what they wished someone would say in public i.e. that this man is one of those who is most responsible for the economic and social crisis which this country is in. But they do not feel they have a voice or a vehicle for that voice for which to express their feelings.

I have decided to provide that vehicle.

It is time we came out from behind the computers, the doors, the pubs, the offices, the kitchens, the workplaces and anywhere else, where we are saying in private about this man, what we wish our political and media leaders would say in public.

Bertie Ahern, take responsibility for your mistakes, and apologise to the Irish people.

Bertie Ahern, pay your taxes and stop sponging of the Irish State, while ordinary people suffer for the mistakes you made.

Bertie Ahern, you are not wanted by the Irish people.

I have started a Facebook page where people can register support for this protest and get information on what is happening.

The page is here. Please advertise it as much as possible. Please spread the word.

Protest demonstration against Bertie Ahern | Facebook

But this will not just be an internet complaint campaign.

I will be sending the details to local and national media.

Please, if you feel the same, make arrangements to come to Cashel on the 7th of October and join me. We are only 1.5 hours from Dublin, 1 from Cork, 1 from Limerick and Waterford. 2.5 from Galway. We are no more than 3/4 hours from anywhere in Ireland.

Too many protest marches take place in Dublin, where despite being legitimate, are accused by the political establishment and the media of being populated by "professional protesters"

I would like this to be a protest of the people.

Ordinary Irish people, who are suffering because of the mistakes of Bertie Ahern.

Businesses who are gone to the wall, or going there.

Patients who are now being denied proper treatment.

Students who are being denied a proper education.

Vulnerable people who are facing a desolate future.

It is now time we stopped patting people like Bertie Ahern on the back, stopped being polite and pretending he was a "great man altogether". If we continue to put up with bad leadership such as he provided, we will only perpetuate bad leadership in the future.

Come to Cashel on October 7th. And say no, not any more.

Bertie Ahern, Pay Your Taxes, Then Come Talk to Us

Sincerely

An Irish taxpayer

Liam Browne

On Thursday 7th of October, at the Cashel Palace Hotel in Cashel, Co. Tipperary, former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern is scheduled to speak at the annual dinner of Cashel Chamber of Commerce on the subject of "European Competitiveness"

I am a native of the town of Cashel, and I have already made my protest against this invitation known locally, and am now asking on others who feel the same as me to broaden this protest nationally.

I have received many messages of support for publicly stating that I am against this invitation, most notably from many of the businesses in the town of Cashel who were not a part of the decision to extend this invite.

Bertie Ahern was the leader of this country at the time when policies were made and followed which have lead this country into the economic crisis which it now finds itself in.

He claims he created the "Celtic Tiger" and demands respect for that time, but what he refuses to acknowledge is that much of the growth encountered was as a result of creating a climate of increasing public debt through huge borrowings in our banks, and of increasing public spending whenever a political problem arose, instead of actually solving the problems or preparing for the future.

He wants recognition for the "Celtic Tiger", but he refuses to take responsibility for the lack of regulation in the banking system, the huge prices that young people had to pay for housing, the sky rocketing of unemployment when the construction industry finally collapsed, or the massive amounts of money we have to now pay to fix a corrupted banking system, which he lauded as the "best in the world"

When he was challenged about the problems this country faced a number of years ago, his only response was to ask why those who were concerned about the Irish economy "don't just go and commit suicide". Unfortunately now, many who have been destroyed by his actions are doing exactly that.

I would like to ask Bertie Ahern a simple question, as a citizen of Ireland.

Why, 3 years after being elected as a TD, and subsequently as Taoiseach of this country, are you still unable to provide a tax clearance certificate to prove that you are completely compliant with the Irish Revenue Commissioners ?

It is the most basic duty of any citizen, to properly pay your taxes for the running of the State, the payment of public services, the payment for the health and welfare of the people of Ireland.

Because of the actions of you, and your Government, the Irish taxpayer has now had to pay increased amounts of our money in direct and indirect taxes, to pay for the mistakes you have made.

All while you continue to remain non compliant.

And worse, while you continue to claim a huge salary and expense entitlements paid for by those of us who do pay our taxes.

While you continue to claim over €2,200 euro per month, in unvouched expenses, for travelling and living expenses, at the same time as you are driven around this country in a State car, with no cost to yourself.

Why have you refused to give proper explanations of monies which you received to a Tribunal which you voted to set up? Instead claiming that monies which could not be explained were "won on the horses", a claim also made for money that couldn't be accounted for, by well known criminal and drug trafficker John Gilligan?

Personally, I have had enough of the lies of Bertie Ahern. I also believe that the vast majority of people have had enough of the lies of Bertie Ahern. But as is so often the case, our political and media leaders will not come out and say honestly what the majority of people think, because they feel it will have repercussions for them or cast them in a bad light.

Well it is time for someone to stand up and say it.

Bertie Ahern is one of the major causes of the destruction of the Irish economy, and he should take responsibility for doing what he did.

He should be treated to the old Irish tradition, the Boycott.

He should be told wherever he goes, that he isn't wanted, and people should turn their face from him, or draw back their hand when he tries to take it.

We have suffered enough from his style of leadership. One based on lies and the aggrandisement of a small group of supporters and followers around him, while leaving the vast majority of Irish people to pick up the mess which he played his part in creating.

This has to begin somewhere. I am asking people to come and join me, to begin it in the town of Cashel, on Thursday the 7th of October, on the Civic Plaza at 6pm.

Too often protests are organised on the streets of Dublin, and while they are legitimate, they are populated by what the Establishment and media call "professional protesters". This limits their impact.

I believe a protest in the town of Cashel, an ordinary Irish town, which is suffering the economic downturn similar to every other town and village in this country, would provide a venue for the huge amounts of people who feel disillusioned with the way we are being currently lead over an economic cliff, to send a message out to those who have let us down.

Please come and join me. It is time we as a people said stop. It is time we as a people demanded that we are listened to. It is time refused to take the nonsense we are being fed, and refused to be treated like children who don't understand what is going on, but are still asked to pay for the mistakes of others.

It is time we talked back, and not only talked, but acted.

It is time we said enough is enough.

Bertie Ahern, you are not welcome here. If you come, you will be boycotted.

Please pass this around to as many people as possible, and try to arrange to join me in my protest. I will do it alone if needs be, but I would love your support.

Sincerely

A tax paying citizen

Liam Browne
    Last edited by rockofcashel; 6th September 2010 at 05:02 PM.
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Ex Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Demo against Bertie and yet Cowen and Lennihan go unpunished?

I will demo against the government and the way this country is managed, I will vote for anyone who promises to round up all the crooks and punish them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BERTIE AHERN W.T.E.

I'm with you

i hopefully will be there. this spiv must be hounded over his economic treason.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good post ROC.

BTW, who invited him to speak? (Was it one individual in the COC given that you state alot of business people are against it)

C

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
    Good post ROC.

BTW, who invited him to speak?

C

The Cashel Chamber of Commerce.

However, I would like to point out, that many businesses in Cashel do not agree with the invitation and it was made without the knowledge of many of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bi ciuin View Post
    Demo against Bertie and yet Cowen and Lennihan go unpunished?

I will demo against the government and the way this country is managed, I will vote for anyone who promises to round up all the crooks and punish them.
    we have to start somewhere. Come down and make your feelings known about them too

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good man RoC.... *like*
    We need to radically change every system that has enabled the wholesale destruction of the Irish landscape, rural and urban. There is no time for incremental step by step measures. The systems have failed utterly and the only hope for a real recovery requires the rule book to be torn up completely.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will the morons from Saturday be there throwing eggs and shoes at him or do they only reserve their anger for more international issues?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sterling work Rock...up Tipp!
    Where, after all, is the Muslim outrage at these events? As their ancient, deeply civilized culture of love, art and philosophical reflection is hijacked by paranoiacs, racists, liars, male supremacists, tyrants, fanatics and violence junkies, why are they not screaming? Salman Rushdie (2002)

Page 1 of 69 123451151 ... LastLast