Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: RTE and the well paid stars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default RTE and the well paid stars.

Pat Kenny really has some nerve.He calls €630,000 peanuts.

The Irish media conducted a campaign against politicians and their earnings and so be it, some may think politicians earn far too much and others may disagree but that is a separate debate.

The money that Pat Kenny and Joe Duffy earn is a national disgrace in the current economic climate; it is time the public say stop.

These overpaid egotistic superstars should hand back a large proportion of their salaries to their employers 'us the taxpaying public.

We're paid peanuts compared to soccer stars, says Pat Kenny - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nearly puked reading that..
    The difference between you pat and a soccer player is you are paid mainly from the licence fee
    Shows high much they think of themselves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Soccer players in the EPL for example get grossly overpaid. Yet this is the money that operates in this particular market. Soccer players have a skill and the level to which they are skilled determines what they get paid. Very highly skilled players who play in the EPL get paid considerably more than those who are merely highly skilled who play in a division below. Hence the disparity between wages at Chelsea and wages at S************************horpe United or Doncaster Rovers who play in the division below. Yet crowds go to see football in both divisions because the people playing the game are able to do things with a football that those in the crowd can't. It is just that the standard of football is different. What they get paid is what the football clubs decide they should get paid. If I want to contribute to that, I can go to a game and pay my money to see it. What I get back in return is 90 minutes of entertainment. Or not, as the case may be. But it is my choice if I want to pay £50 to see Chelsea play.

The TV licence is a captive charge. Owning a TV creates a legal obligation to pay money to see it. There is no choice involved if you own a TV. So my captive charge goes to pay Kenny and Duffy. And, unlike watching odious oiks like John Terry and Ashley Cole, who I know can do things with a football I can admire and could never possibly achieve myself, I never get the impression from Duffy's moanathons or Kenny's efforts that I couldn't do better myself. Basically they are grossly overpaid public servants who have got into the appalling habit of thinking that they are entitled to what the public unwillingly pays them.
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"I often wonder why there isn't the same fuss over the salaries paid to footballers like John O'Shea, earning more in three weeks than Marian Finucane earns in a year."
    Nobody has to pay John O'Shea. They choose to. It's time to wind down RTE. What would Kenny be worth in a free market. Or Joe Duffy. They would still be well paid but nothing like what they get now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

RTE's big stars like Kenny and Tubridy are not paid from the licence fee. Their salaries come from the advertising and sponsorship generated by their shows. The more they generate, the more they earn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Jack View Post
    RTE's big stars like Kenny and Tubridy are not paid from the licence fee. Their salaries come from the advertising and sponsorship generated by their shows. The more they generate, the more they earn.
    Jolly good so! Without the licence fee RTE could not exist and therefore those planks would have to busk on other channels which do not have the benefit of said fee!

It's an Irish thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Really?

Can you point us to a study carried out by RTÉ, linking presenters' pay to the level of advertising and sponsorship generated by the programmes on which they work?

Does such a study exist at all?

And isn't it a bit much to credit presenters with all the ratings success of their shows? There's lots of factors go into it: when the show is broadcast, the skill of the production team, hardworking researchers, smart promotion of the show, etc.

As for the football comparison, footballers tend to have, at best, a little over a decade in terms of earning power. But as Pat Kenny could tell us, if he was honest with us, broadcasters go on a lot, lot longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Libero View Post
    Really?

Can you point us to a study carried out by RTÉ, linking presenters' pay to the level of advertising and sponsorship generated by the programmes on which they work?

Does such a study exist at all?

And isn't it a bit much to credit presenters with all the ratings success of their shows? There's lots of factors go into it: when the show is broadcast, the skill of the production team, hardworking researchers, smart promotion of the show, etc.

As for the football comparison, footballers tend to have, at best, a little over a decade in terms of earning power. But as Pat Kenny could tell us, if he was honest with us, broadcasters go on a lot, lot longer.

A lot longer than their sell-by date, in many cases.
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greengoose2 View Post
    Jolly good so! Without the licence fee RTE could not exist and therefore those planks would have to busk on other channels which do not have the benefit of said fee!

It's an Irish thing.
    It is indeed. The licence fee pays for RTE's public service obligations - news, current affairs, sport, childrens, history, etc.

Advertising, sponsorship, programme sales and other commercial activity generate the rest from where the all the so-called 'stars' earn their money.

AFAIK, during the boom years, RTE earned more from the latter than it did from the licence fee.

Big names like Kenny, Tubridy, Joe Duffy, etc, earn serious money for RTE through advertising - that's why they command the salaries they do.

If Tubridy was to up and leave there would be panic in Montrose because his shows generate so much dosh for the station.

It remains to be seen how the death of Gerry Ryan will effect RTE's revenue - his radio show alone pulled in between €5m and €6m a year in advertising. He was paid around a 10th of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is indeed. The licence fee pays for RTE's public service obligations - news, current affairs, sport, childrens, history, etc.

Advertising, sponsorship, programme sales and other commercial activity generate the rest from where the all the so-called 'stars' earn their money.

AFAIK, during the boom years, RTE earned more from the latter than it did from the licence fee.

Big names like Kenny, Tubridy, Joe Duffy, etc, earn serious money for RTE through advertising - that's why they command the salaries they do.

If Tubridy was to up and leave there would be panic in Montrose because his shows generate so much dosh for the station.

It remains to be seen how the death of Gerry Ryan will effect RTE's revenue - his radio show alone pulled in between €5m and €6m a year in advertising. He was paid around a 10th of that.

If Tubridy did leave, first, where would he go? It would have to be BBC.
    And someone would be put into his slots and the shows would go on and the advertising revenue would still be generated.

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast