Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Decentralisation"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default "Decentralisation"

The title is in quotes because, as we know, what's termed 'decentralisation' in Ireland bears no relationship to what the term is generally taken to mean elsewhere.

The Irish Times are running a series. It strikes me as a worthwhile opportunity to flush out whether this agenda is actually as dead as it should be.

So, decentralisation. Do we agree this is simply an imbecilic idea?

If we do agree, do we agree to the extent that we'd favour its reversal?
    However, banks know they have a duty of care to their clients and I'm sure that this should prevent them lending irresponsibly.

George Lee 2 June 2006

Ziggy

Politics.ie Member kerdasi amaq's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Decentralization", a scam whereby choice city properties are freed up for sale, at less than true value, to selected property developers. Is that it?
    We have got as much as we are going to get out of Europe; it is, now, time to leave!
    EUROPA CONVENTUS DELENDA EST!...Whistle out the marching tune.....27

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kerdasi amaq View Post
    "Decentralization", a scam whereby choice city properties are freed up for sale, at less than true value, to selected property developers. Is that it?
    And a lot of property down the country was sold to the OPW.

Everybody happy, except the public servants and those who use their now eviscerated services.

Well done Charlie, I see you got the votes for it anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schuhart View Post
    The title is in quotes because, as we know, what's termed 'decentralisation' in Ireland bears no relationship to what the term is generally taken to mean elsewhere.

The Irish Times are running a series. It strikes me as a worthwhile opportunity to flush out whether this agenda is actually as dead as it should be.

Yes this was very imbecilic, it was taught up as a vote catcher and ended up cost us millions and millions when the government bought buildings down the country and found they could not force staff to relocate (ether by force by denying them promotions etc unless they moved or tempting them to move), so the government has a lot of empty building down the country, which it will now have to sell

As for its reversal, i'd leave the few groups who have moved but id move no more and sell the already bought but unused building if i can (they wont get a third of the price they paid though because of the economic bust and that if they can find buyers at all)

All in all a complete screw up!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually I have no problem with decentralisation as long as it is done logically. The Collector General is down in Limerick and that seems to work fine. The CRO is in Carlow and again with the internet doesn't cause a problem. Ireland is too Dublin centric (I'm a Dubliner) and we need to create jobs elsewhere. No reason why a lot of government activity cannot happen elsewhere in this day of internet. It needed to be done at a slower pace and pick sensible locations to move departments to (not government minister's constituencies). Also there does need to be a level of critical mass for these locations.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

" Who benefits " ? asked Fintan O'Toole today and then you see what it's all about. The beneficiaries are the local property owners / developers. Now, what party , if any , would they have a link to ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Decentralisation is now coming back to bite the government in a way no one would have predicted when it was announced. All those relatively secure jobs that were moved to towns around the country gave a boost to local economies. Now Lenihans two cuts in PS pay have taken money out of those communities at the worst possible time. In the past this would have hurt only Dublin TDs, now it's waiting in every constituency.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Decentralisation. Is that when the government realised house prices in Dublin were too high? when did it start?

Politics.ie Member MsAnneThrope's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tom Parlon speaks to Mark Little of RTÉ's Prime Time about decentralisation in May 2006. Watch and weep.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znL5sLfTGrY"]Tom Parlon on Decentralisation[/ame]
    We all love animals. Why do we call some 'pets' and others 'dinner'?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schuhart View Post

It is a silly idea. We are a small country and Dublin is its only major city and it makes sense to focus things on Dublin, which is in easy reach of all.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast