Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FÁS fail to apply for EU funding in 2010, Ruairi Quinn calls for it's closure

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default FÁS fail to apply for EU funding in 2010, Ruairi Quinn calls for it's closure

Link to RTE story here:
    RTÉ News: Govt has not applied for EU funds for FÁS

Not that I think that more funding should be shovelled into the FÁS-pit, but this funding is vital for re-training NOW. If ever it was needed - it's NOW...

With the variety of agencies who could do 110% better job than FÁS, WHY oh WHY could the Gov. not apply to have the training delivered by an agency other than FÁS?

Thoughts?
    "Human rights is about holding those with power to account for abuse of power." - Mary Robinson

“It is said that power corrupts, but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power.” David Brin - Sci Fi Novelist

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fair enough but the report says the problems were with the private contractors which might suggest less rather than more use of these

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't argue with that.

But other agencies provide training, and are far more rigorous from the point of view of tutors' and agencies' contracts, delivery and evaluation of course delivery, etc.

Could the auditors not work through the stuff with FÁS, while the badly needed funding be used for upskilling / re-training with quality assured training agencies, such as FETAC centres or VEC?

This just makes me grind my teeth in frustrations...
    "Human rights is about holding those with power to account for abuse of power." - Mary Robinson

“It is said that power corrupts, but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power.” David Brin - Sci Fi Novelist

Quote Originally Posted by mmclo View Post
    Fair enough but the report says the problems were with the private contractors which might suggest less rather than more use of these
    thats cos private companies are no better at this
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member making waves's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Over the past 20 years FAS has been systematically privatising the provision of FAS courses to private companies. The private companies have been charging and arm and a leg (and FAS have been paying it) and providing a p*ss-poor service. Instructors are badly paid and facilities are poor (bad accomodation and poor equipment) as the private companies maximise profits (and many companies run multiple courses).

It is not surprising that the EU are kicking up about it - they should have done it 20+ years when FAS started privatising the course provision - but of course that went against the 'market is better' philosophy of the EU Commission. It is also not a surprise that the government have done nothing about it - they would have a problem admitting that the privatisation of these courses was a mistake and then recruiting the staff to do the job right (irrespective of the fact that the money would come from the EU).
    Separate Church and State

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dept of Education flush with money?

On RTe news this morning [approx 07.15] it was announced that the Dept of Education were not applying for European structural funds for the time being.
    This is tied up with an investigation by European auditors into the spending of Fás funds on outside examining bodies.
    At a time when unemployed workers are crying out for retraining, this beggars belief!
    What is going on here?
    Will "Important to say" be enlightening us any time soon.
    This stinks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cry freedom View Post
    On RTe news this morning [approx 07.15] it was announced that the Dept of Education were not applying for European structural funds for the time being.
    This is tied up with an investigation by European auditors into the spending of Fás funds on outside examining bodies.
    At a time when unemployed workers are crying out for retraining, this beggars belief!
    What is going on here?
    Will "Important to say" be enlightening us any time soon.
    This stinks!
    I've noticed that this has been covered already by another poster.
    Mods, please delete or merge as you see fit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Indy-pendant View Post
    Link to RTE story here:
    RTÉ News: Govt has not applied for EU funds for FÁS

Not that I think that more funding should be shovelled into the FÁS-pit, but this funding is vital for re-training NOW. If ever it was needed - it's NOW...

With the variety of agencies who could do 110% better job than FÁS, WHY oh WHY could the Gov. not apply to have the training delivered by an agency other than FÁS?

Thoughts?
    I agree with Ruairí Quinn's proposal on Morning Ireland - we should close FAS down asap. It is outdated and grossly inefficient. What people want, by way of re-training, is access to courses in IOT's and universities. Courses organised by mates and delivered in hotels etc have no value to job seekers and those wanting to re-train. The FAS budget [along with the county enterprise board budgets] need re-focussing on well structured programmes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ruairi Quinn - "Time to close FÁS

I heard Ruairi Quinn on this morning (Morning Ireland) calling in a personal capacity for the closure of FÁS and for the redirection of the training, skills and education budget of FÁS to the ITs and Uni's.

I have to say I think that is an eminently sensible idea !! (I know, me supporting a Lab idea - the world has clearly gone mad !!)

Any views out there in the world of P.ie??
    Last edited by adrem; 3rd September 2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: typo

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ruairí Quinn: Shut down FAS

RTÉ News: Quinn calls for closure of FÁS

The bit where Ruairí calls for FAS to be shut down isn't particularly interesting, however the following is:

Following a European Union audit of FÁS last November, the European Commission said that in order to protect taxpayers, it wanted issues to be resolved before further funds were requested or paid.
    Withdrawal of European funds because the organisation is at best incompetent, and at worst corrupt.

Wait till they take a closer look at where the rest of their money is going.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast