Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Labour- PE and Leaving Cert

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Labour- PE and Leaving Cert

Ireland is in "Meltdown" and Labour want PE included as part of the Leaving cert!!!!!!

They are as bad as the Greens.... But at least they are now divulging what their policies and priorities are....

Labour wants PE included in Leaving Cert curriculum | BreakingNews.ie

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Not a bad idea. It would have to be handled in a certain way, and not say given the same points as English/Home Ec/whatever, but the govt should be trying to fight the rapidly rising problems of childhood obesity. Giving say 50 points to children who pass a certain fitness level would be a good carrot to chase.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Econdo View Post
    Ireland is in "Meltdown" and Labour want PE included as part of the Leaving cert!!!!!!

They are as bad as the Greens.... But at least they are now divulging what their policies and priorities are....

Labour wants PE included in Leaving Cert curriculum | BreakingNews.ie
    Just because economics dominates political debate does not mean that all other ideas should be shelved.

There are other crises out there, such as,
    pension time bomb,
    environmental,
    peak oil,
    gangland crime,
    misuse of prescription drugs,
    illgeal drugs,
    petty crime,
    global warming,
    dealing with waste,
    dealing with the current baby boom in health and edcuation,
    social welfare traps,
    our antiquted mental health regime,
    homelessness,

and
    the obesity problem of the next generation.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Not a bad idea. It would have to be handled in a certain way, and not say given the same points as English/Home Ec/whatever, but the govt should be trying to fight the rapidly rising problems of childhood obesity. Giving say 50 points to children who pass a certain fitness level would be a good carrot to chase.
    Obesity in Children falls on the doorstep of the Parents......There are many after school sports that Children can participate in and indeed are encourage by schools and teachers... To make it part of the leaving Cert is just plain stupid.....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Stupid idea.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

But you can't encourage it really. If kids want to sit out, they'll sit out. There's no incentive. It's not like in America where extra-curricular work counts for anything. I like the idea.

The LC is fundamentally flawed. It's route learning. At least this way if I have to pay for other people's kids to go to college, there's a chance I won't have to pay for some fatty's hospital bills when they fall over into a McFlurry induced coma at 27.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If religion is a leaving cert subject so should PE.
    "The war against drugs is unique in all conflict: we can win it, simply by ceasing to fight it."

Seems a bit daft. If obesity reduction is the aim, I'm sure there's better ways e.g. nutrition ...
    Redacted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A good idea. It would have to be a much expanded subject from what it is now, to incorporate sports education, fitness techniques, basic biology as well as practical on the field sports participation.

This is something that need cost the exchequer nothing, could help save a lot in reducing obesity and could transform PE from two hours a week of messing about on a football pitch to an actual worthwhile piece of education that teaches kids about teamwork, how their bodies work etc.

It's interesting that the critics have responded only with moronic 'it's stupid'. Let's hear the actual criticism of the policy? Or should every other issue facing the country be shelved while we discuss Anglo? Dare we consider a Government that could *whispers* address more than one policy area at a time?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast