Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Time to stop Universal payment of Child Benefit

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    356
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Time to stop Universal payment of Child Benefit

    surely its high time we stopped paying out child benefit to all, regardless of means?

    its galling to think that multi-millionaires and people who are well-off are collecting a welfare payment whilst the country is on its knees.

    even more galling to hear Joan Burton defend this nonsense on TV3 last night by saying that there are some wealthy men who dont give their wives enough money to live on!! If you heard this from a politician from the 1950s, youd be hard-pressed to stifle your laughter!!

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member seanmacc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    surely its high time we stopped paying out child benefit to all, regardless of means?

    its galling to think that multi-millionaires and people who are well-off are collecting a welfare payment whilst the country is on its knees.

    even more galling to hear Joan Burton defend this nonsense on TV3 last night by saying that there are some wealthy men who don't give their wives enough money to live on!! If you heard this from a politician from the 1950s, you'd be hard-pressed to stifle your laughter!!
    The minute the children's allowance is means tested year by year the government will move the goal posts on the qualifying criteria until nobody qualifies for it and it will get abolished. The children's allowance gives so many families a lifeline every month particularly at this time of year (free education my hole).

    Also if you just want to limit the people who don't qualify to just millionaires it will end up costing so much in admin and civil service hours so as to make the savings very minimal.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cork South Central - Cork SE LEA
    Posts
    2,940
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Screw the middle classes again?

    Why not just apply income tax to it at the rate the parents are paying? That seems fairer.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14,890
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Another of the sacred cows of Irish middle class belief like property tax
    Should have been scrapped years ago ...
    Pat Kenny had a woman on about 6 months ago defending it yet admitting it all went in to a college trust fund
    Its a stupid inequitable waste fo money and should be means tested on a sliding scale or abolished completely with the money spent on nursery and primary education

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member gijoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    How about we make a start by making it payable only to EU and EFTA citizens. That would be an even better start.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Aindriu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Posts
    8,689
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    For starters they can stop paying it to children who are not resident in the state!

    Secondly, the idea of paying a higher amount for second and subsequent children is absurd. It should be lower not higher.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I'd be in favour of scrapping universal child benefit so long as a mechanism is applied that actually saves money. As another poster said means testing costs a lot of money to administer. Something should be done about universal child benefit, people who don't need it use it as a savings scheme. So maybe increasing income tax against those who don't need it would be a more cost effective way to deal with it.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Franzoni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin Wood Quay ...now Northside
    Posts
    15,396
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seanmacc View Post
    The minute the children's allowance is means tested year by year the government will move the goal posts on the qualifying criteria until nobody qualifies for it and it will get abolished. The children's allowance gives so many families a lifeline every month particularly at this time of year (free education my hole).

    .
    How many people on here who have kids and are in low paying jobs or finding it extremely hard to get work,who are calling for it to be abolished...?

    very few i would imagine....your spot on about the so called 'free education' system...a joke and an expensive one at that if you have a few going to school

    anyone who thinks that FF will be the bad guys who will abolish the child benefit is either politically naive or a moron.....even Kenny will remember the VAT on childrens shoes fiasco or the OAP's a couple of years ago if he gets into power...imagine thousands of families on the streets with mothers pushing buggies protesting.....

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Thumbs down

    If the state needs to provide subsidised childcare so be it but the idea that we pay billions in childrens allowance as some sort of blanket subsidy is ridiculous. I am open to correction but I believe this costs us 2.5 billion a year.

    Brutons reasoning that we should continue to pay this because some women have to access to their rich husbands cash is crazy.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica View Post
    If the state needs to provide subsidised childcare so be it but the idea that we pay billions in childrens allowance as some sort of blanket subsidy is ridiculous. I am open to correction but I believe this costs us 2.5 billion a year.

    Brutons reasoning that we should continue to pay this because some women have to access to their rich husbands cash is crazy.
    Keep the universal benefit, apply a dedicated increase on income tax to those above a given threshold for the direct same amount. They can march all they like, they don't need it and sympathy will dry up fairly soon for them. I heard Joan Burton say something similar about women not been able to access cash on TV3 last night. Well she should be thinking about another cost effective way to claw back that money from well off people who don't need the children's allowance if she wants to maintain the universal nature of the scheme.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •