Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 71

Thread: Navan Hospital to be closed by Fianna Fail

  1. #1

    Default Navan Hospital to be closed by Fianna Fail

    Just got a statement from Cllr Peadar Tóibín this minute. Himself and Joe Reilly have been up at the hospital talking to staff who are being briefed that all surgery will cease at Navan hospital from today.
    'We have been told that Surgery services are to cease from today, A&E and Psychiatric services will go before 2012. Most other services support these elements and as a result will be lost. The Staff is being briefed right now. This is a disaster for Navan. Local health professionals have stated that Drogheda is not up to the job. It does not have the space or the confidence of the people of Meath. It is likely that we in Meath will be left with a 9am to 5pm Minor injuries Assessment Unit.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bradán feasa View Post
    Just got a statement from Cllr Peadar Tóibín this minute. Himself and Joe Reilly have been up at the hospital talking to staff who are being briefed that all surgery will cease at Navan hospital from today.
    'We have been told that Surgery services are to cease from today, A&E and Psychiatric services will go before 2012. Most other services support these elements and as a result will be lost. The Staff is being briefed right now. This is a disaster for Navan. Local health professionals have stated that Drogheda is not up to the job. It does not have the space or the confidence of the people of Meath. It is likely that we in Meath will be left with a 9am to 5pm Minor injuries Assessment Unit.
    Navan is not far from major hospitals. It won't be the end of the world.

  3. #3

    Default

    As a Navan native, can I say without any hint of bias (as I am completely and vehemently opposed to all things FF) that this is the correct decision. Navan hospital is and has been a disgrace for a long time, with the honorable exception of the orthopaedic unit. Anyone who has had any experience of a relative being brought in there will testify that it is just not up to scratch. Small local hospitals have no place doing general surgery, and should just concentrate on a small number of specialties.

    Having said that, Drogheda is, I believe, worse. If the plan is to invest in Drogheda great - but most Navan people will head to Dublin, quicker to get to now with the new road than Drogheda anyway. And it's not full of Louth people.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Navan is not far from major hospitals. It won't be the end of the world.
    Although it will - hopefully - destroy Fianna Fail in Meath. No railway to Navan and now a hospital closure.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    197
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Meath has a weak voice at the Cabinet table

    Meath has a weak voice at the Cabinet table

    The Meath Minister is committed to holding on to his Ministerial Transport and and can deliver on nothing more for Meath.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    Although it will - hopefully - destroy Fianna Fail in Meath. No railway to Navan and now a hospital closure.
    Yes that is positive. Wasn't their FF TD Wallace described as the "laziest TD in Daíl Éireann"?

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cork South Central - Cork SE LEA
    Posts
    2,940
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I reckoned FG, SF and Lab all looked too far back from winning a seat in Meath West, but what odds a hospital candidate emerging
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,952
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by navanman123 View Post
    As a Navan native, can I say without any hint of bias (as I am completely and vehemently opposed to all things FF) that this is the correct decision. Navan hospital is and has been a disgrace for a long time, with the honorable exception of the orthopaedic unit. Anyone who has had any experience of a relative being brought in there will testify that it is just not up to scratch. Small local hospitals have no place doing general surgery, and should just concentrate on a small number of specialties.
    Fair play to you for this. The 'County' Hospital is a relic from history, an entirely political entity and the root cause of many health service problems.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

  9. #9
    birthday
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommythecommy View Post
    Meath has a weak voice at the Cabinet table

    The Meath Minister is committed to holding on to his Ministerial Transport and and can deliver on nothing more for Meath.
    This is the attitude that has the country the way it is!

    It is not logical to have a hospital in every county in the country that is capable of delivering 21st century medicine.

    Many prefer to pretend otherwise.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Navan is not far from major hospitals. It won't be the end of the world.
    It will for those who die in the ambulance on the way past it.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •