Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Plastic Card to replace existing Driving Licence?

Politics.ie Member MsAnneThrope's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New Plastic Card to replace existing Driving Licence?

The Road Safety Authority published this Contract Award over the weekend.

Description of the contract:

Review of Irish Driver Licencing System in preparation for introduction of Plastic Card Licence
    Name and Address of successful supplier, contractor or service provider:

Accenture
    1 Grand Canal Place, Dublin2
    Personally I'd welcome a nice, plastic card to replace my existing, tatty paper one. But after the PPARS & E-Voting debacles can we get this one right and at reasonable cost?

Also, could and should this card have other uses beyond just holding Driving License information? It's not clear from the tender if the intent is to have a magnetic strip and/or a smart chip on it but I'm guessing in this day and age it will.
    Last edited by CookieMonster; 31st August 2010 at 07:28 PM.
    We all love animals. Why do we call some 'pets' and others 'dinner'?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Be good to have a credit card type licence. I think most EU countries already do.
    And yes, I'd imagine it'll have a magnetic strip on the back so they can put your shoe size, musical preferences and whatever the fook else they wish onto it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Que the silver foil hat wearers ranting about orwellian practices in 3...2...1...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They have had this in NI for many years. The Paper licence will still exist though, like your cert of insurance to be produced if required within 7/14/21 days etc, but the Plastic card will act as driver ID and must be carried at all times while driving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dohville View Post
    They have had this in NI for many years. The Paper licence will still exist though, like your cert of insurance to be produced if required within 7/14/21 days etc, but the Plastic card will act as driver ID and must be carried at all times while driving.
    Aye, the current one is not exactly convenient especially if your changing vehicles. A wallet/perse size one would help.

Ex Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wil most likely be the same type as the UK driving licence.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why are Enron's accountants involved!! This isn't an emerging technology!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MsAnneThrope View Post
    The Road Safety Authority published this Contract Award over the weekend.

Personally I'd welcome a nice, plastic card to replace my existing, tatty paper one. But after the PPARS & E-Voting debacles can we get this one right and at reasonable cost?
    Yes please to the end of the manky paper licences but your concerns are well placed, the PS has a truly abysmal record when it comes to specifying and managing the delivery of IT projects.

Quote Originally Posted by MsAnneThrope View Post
    Also, could and should this card have other uses beyond just holding Driving License information? It's not clear from the tender if the intent is to have a magnetic strip and/or a smart chip on it but I'm guessing in this day and age it will.
    A user accessible area on a strip or chip where medical information or next of kin numbers could be stored would be useful in case of emergency.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm all for it. I have an American licence which is a proper credit card sized plastic one. It has a barcode-like encoding on the back. When you go to buy booze at a shop they can just scan the code and your name and date of birth show up on the till. So much better than carrying around the ridiculous fake-looking fold-out, laminated on one side only paper mess that we currently have!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by st3ph3n View Post
    I'm all for it. I have an American licence which is a proper credit card sized plastic one. It has a barcode-like encoding on the back. When you go to buy booze at a shop they can just scan the code and your name and date of birth show up on the till. So much better than carrying around the ridiculous fake-looking fold-out, laminated on one side only paper mess that we currently have!
    Now that raises big issues not least of them being widespread access to data that ought to be private.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast