Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red C poll - FF to retain seats

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Red C poll - FF to retain seats

Fianna Fail is set to win 2 out of 3 seats in Roscommon-South Leitrim - in spite of a lower share of the vote than FG - according to a new Red C poll.:

The Roscommon Herald/Red C opinion poll shows that Fine Gael, with 41%, Is set to have a higher first preference vote than Fianna Fáil, at 37%.

However, because of a more even spread of votes between the two FF candidates and the likelihood it will pick up more transfers, the poll predicts that it will narrowly prevail in the three-seat constituency....Labour’s Hughie Baxter is at 3%, while Garreth McDaid of the Green Party (a son of Donegal TD Jim McDaid) is at 1%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another strong vote for Fine Gael in a local opinion poll.

This is a very consistent trend and will lead to a huge increase in seats if replicated on election day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On the contrary it is yet another example of FG failing to translate an increase in their vote into additional seats. If replicated elsewhere - as other polls indicate it will be - then a very disappointing election awaits for FG.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As an aside, isn't it interesting that FT is whooping it up for Fianna Fail? So much for the PDs being an independent party - after 10 years in bed with Fianna Fail they're obviously starting to melt back into the larger party.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe a TG4 / MRBI polls in Cork NW shows 2 FF and 1 FG, I'll post the full details later. It is the 11th constituency poll in a row showing no gain for FG. I'm sure Harry W will be able to enlighten as to how it really means that FG are on course to romp to victory (with the obligatory personal insults thrown in for good measure).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine
    As an aside, isn't it interesting that FT is whooping it up for Fianna Fail? So much for the PDs being an independent party - after 10 years in bed with Fianna Fail they're obviously starting to melt back into the larger party.
    No we are not. I'm just stating the facts as they are were they different I would say so. However I'm not going to deny the reality that it is unlikely the PDs can get back into office after this election unless FF perform strongly in terms of seats.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i dont know what the figures were for the last election.........but this is another huge boost in support for fine gael without a doubt

naughten 27%
    feighan 14% (losing out by a "tiny margin" according to the examiner)

all they have to do is manage the vote by a "tiny margin" and fg get 2 seats

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Garreth McDaid of the Green Party (a son of Donegal drunk Jim McDaid) is at 1%

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To be honest, I don't think FFers should make too much of this poll, especially given the usual degree of error in these polls and also the fact that constituency polls tend to favour the incumbents usually, e.g. Naughten, Finneran and Ellis. If anything, FF should be worried in that (i) poll suggests a rather large swing toward FG in this constituency, (ii) it looks as if FF vote in Roscommon has particularly bottomed out: maybe if FG had added Gerry Reynolds to the ticket, the FF vote might have come in under 30%

Based on tally estimates, the share of the vote won by each party in what is now Roscommon-South Leitrim was: FF 42%, FG 34%, LAB 1%, SF 6%, GP 1%, IND 16%
    I think the basic point here is: all to play for.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rover
    Garreth McDaid of the Green Party (a son of Donegal drunk Jim McDaid) is at 1%
    Not hilarious but below the belt. Can we stick to the issues and keep away from personal attacks, especially relating to politicians who aren't in this constituency.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast